Jackx429

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
So I was racing a charger not too long ago over a hill and then my car went into limp mode. Had to pull over and restart it.

since then, anytime I’m giving aggressive acceleration, I’m experiencing what I can only describe as my turbo making a stuttering sound. And if I continue to give that acceleration, I inevitably go back into limp mode. I replaced my bpv because I thought the behavior was similar to issues I’ve had in the past but I’m still having this problem.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jackx429

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
More info:
I was doing about 110mph over the hill in 5th when this occurred.
I have since replaced the bpv, battery and spark plugs. There was orange ash in the tubes due to an octane booster I was using because this fuel shortage has made it difficult to find high octane fuel.

I’m running with the following mods:
Stage 2 clutch master clutch and aluminum flywheel
PRL front pipe and downpipe both exhaust wrapped
Intake pipe lava blanket
PRL cobra intake
TSP stage 1 tune
Acuity short throw shifter
Boomba rear engine mount
PRL ss clutch line

the issue always throws an emissions system lights, brake system lights, and VSA lights.
The engine light comes on, but no codes are present.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
More info:
I was doing about 110mph over the hill in 5th when this occurred.
I have since replaced the bpv, battery and spark plugs. There was orange ash in the tubes due to an octane booster I was using because this fuel shortage has made it difficult to find high octane fuel.

I’m running with the following mods:
Stage 2 clutch master clutch and aluminum flywheel
PRL front pipe and downpipe both exhaust wrapped
Intake pipe lava blanket
PRL cobra intake
TSP stage 1 tune
Acuity short throw shifter
Boomba rear engine mount
PRL ss clutch line

the issue always throws an emissions system lights, brake system lights, and VSA lights.
The engine light comes on, but no codes are present.
Vacuum leak? Maf cable plugged in firmly? Some octane boosters have high metals which can clog the direct injectors, hopefully that's not it. Could be something simple.

OP
OP

Jackx429

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Vacuum leak? Maf cable plugged in firmly? Some octane boosters have high metals which can clog the direct injectors, hopefully that's not it. Could be something simple.
MAF seems to be seated and plugged just fine. How might I test for vacuum leaks?

OP
OP

Jackx429

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Sounds like wiring or rodent issue - search on the site for suggestions.
Why rodents?

I move my car regularly and I live in a fairly developed area. I just can’t see that being it

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
MAF seems to be seated and plugged just fine. How might I test for vacuum leaks?
Check all vacuum hoses to make sure they are connected properly, check the air intake connections between the airbox and turbo inlet pipe, intercooler piping connections, Are you sure there are no codes? If the check engine light is on there should be a code, that will be a big help in troubleshooting.

OP
OP

Jackx429

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Check all vacuum hoses to make sure they are connected properly, check the air intake connections between the airbox and turbo inlet pipe, intercooler piping connections, Are you sure there are no codes? If the check engine light is on there should be a code, that will be a big help in troubleshooting.
Yeah no codes. I’ve checked several times. It goes away as soon as I restart and begin driving again. Light isn’t flashing either.

I’m on the road traveling for work so I’ll recheck connections when I’m back at my hotel, but this is proving frustrating.

car is perfectly stable as long as I don’t romp on the gas, but that makes it hard to pass on the highways between states.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Why rodents?...
Do a search - top 2 problems are broken wires & rodent (likely mice) damage.
I'd vote for broken (intermittent) wire. (Historical fact: My new '68 RoadRunner was 'busting up" when I poured on the coals. Turned out it was my fault (careless installation) as the sending wire for my Sun Super-Tach was dropping onto the exhaust manifold at anything over half throttle. Cost me "big bucks" $75 (back in '69) to have a NJ dealer fix it while I was on a business trip!)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jackx429

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Do a search - top 2 problems are broken wires & rodent (likely mice).
I'd vote for broken (intermittent) wire. (Historical fact: My new '68 RoadRunner was 'busting up" when I poured on the coals. Turned out it was my fault (careless installation) as the sending wire for my Sun Super-Tach was dropping onto the exhaust manifold at anything over half throttle. Cost me "big bucks" $75 (back in '69) to have a NJ dealer fix it while I was on a business tip!
I’ll carefully look over any harnesses I can access when I get a moment. Really hoping this isn’t the case.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah no codes. I’ve checked several times. It goes away as soon as I restart and begin driving again. Light isn’t flashing either.

I’m on the road traveling for work so I’ll recheck connections when I’m back at my hotel, but this is proving frustrating.

car is perfectly stable as long as I don’t romp on the gas, but that makes it hard to pass on the highways between states.
Wierd, well good luck.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Would you happen to know where I could find a diagram of vacuum lines?
I do not, trying to Google it would be your best best

domicubarican

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Is it only when you are under heavy acceleration or just accelerating regardless?? Does it sound like it hits the fuel cut off?

OP
OP

Jackx429

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Is it only when you are under heavy acceleration or just accelerating regardless?? Does it sound like it hits the fuel cut off?
It’s only under heavy acceleration. Once I hit about 20psi in boost or greater.
Sponsored