Turbo Smart Blow Off Kompact BOV is it good for our Civic Turbo?

fkturboindo

First Name
Osmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK4 1.5 Turbo Hatchback
Country flag
I used HKS bov last year, and have Check Engine Light + sensor Light vsa, etc problem. (sometimes , about 3 x, not all the time),
I thought that was MAF sensor/ AFR read problem because of Bov, replaced that bov to stock ByPassValve this morning, but i still interest about "psshhh" sound. is that Bov really bad? How about Turbosmart? better stay stock or upgrade with this one? Sorry for my bad English, need suggestion/ opinion. Thank you before.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Smart Blow Off Kompact BOV is it good for our Civic Turbo? 20200705_200541

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Smart Blow Off Kompact BOV is it good for our Civic Turbo? Screenshot_20200704-184516_Tokopedia

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Smart Blow Off Kompact BOV is it good for our Civic Turbo? 20200705_200723

Woduddl0303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic Si, 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I thought the reason aftermarket BOV was bad WAS because it vents to atmosphere? If this BOV doesn't recirculate air, Id think it'll make the car run rich unless you get it custom tuned.

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
VTA is bad. Do not use a blow off valve period. Get an intake if you want sounds.
It's not "bad", it just requires a tune to make the car run properly in some cases. The only reason people think it is "bad" is because vent to atmosphere blow off valves release metered air. Which can cause an unstable idle, and a momentarily rich fuel mixture. This can be fixed with a tune.

TurboSmart also makes a blow off valve that is half re-circulation and half vent to atmosphere. Which causes zero issues, I used one for almost 50,000 miles on a different car. I'm just not sure if they make one for the civic.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's not "bad", it just requires a tune to make the car run properly in some cases. The only reason people think it is "bad" is because vent to atmosphere blow off valves release metered air. Which can cause an unstable idle, and a momentarily rich fuel mixture. This can be fixed with a tune.

TurboSmart also makes a blow off valve that is half re-circulation and half vent to atmosphere. Which causes zero issues, I used one for almost 50,000 miles on a different car. I'm just not sure if they make one for the civic.
I don't see how it can be reliably tuned out when you're losing metered air but anybody who wants to is welcome to try. No offense to BOV users, but there seems to be a very narrow intersection here between people who chase pssshhh sounds and people who fork out $ for custom tunes.

As a general rule, slapping a BOV on a MAF tuned car is an objectively bad idea but anyone who wants to has every right to do it.

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I don't see how it can be reliably tuned out when you're losing metered air but anybody who wants to is welcome to try. No offense to BOV users, but there seems to be a very narrow intersection here between people who chase pssshhh sounds and people who fork out $ for custom tunes.

As a general rule, slapping a BOV on a MAF tuned car is an objectively bad idea but anyone who wants to has every right to do it.
You're over generalizing.

One example of how a car these days could be tuned for a VTA bov, many turbo cars these days do not use an engine controlled vacuum source to control the stock bov. It is controlled by a electric solenoid. A tuner should be able to use that to trigger a fuel mixture cange. Or more simply just adjust the idle characteristics and the off throttle fuel mapping.

There are many reasons to use a VTA bov over recirc. And the vast majority of heavily modified high boost cars use them. VTA is much more efficient at preventing/stopping compressor surge which can damage engines and turbos.

Another reason to upgrade your bov, is many oem style valves use a rubber diaphragm that are prone to failure when people tune and add additional boost. When that happens plastic and rubber get sucked through the engine and damage things.

Point being, just because you and others don't understand the need or the reason for an aftermarket blow off valve doesn't make them stupid or bad.

OP
OP

fkturboindo

First Name
Osmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I get what you are saying but for this platform specifically, for 99% of builds, it seems like there is no purpose in swapping out the stock bpv. And even in the case of prl's big turbo kit which swaps out the stock bpv they still use a bpv not bov
Thanks for your opinion, How about Turbo Xs brand, which is 50% VTA, 50% recirculate? still the same and Not recommend for our car?

OP
OP

fkturboindo

First Name
Osmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I thought the reason aftermarket BOV was bad WAS because it vents to atmosphere? If this BOV doesn't recirculate air, Id think it'll make the car run rich unless you get it custom tuned.
custom tuned fix the problem? or just use 50% VTA + 50% Recirculate blow off like Turbo XS brand? thanks for your opinion.

OP
OP

fkturboindo

First Name
Osmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

How about 50% VTA + 50% Recirculate Bov like Turbo XS brand? still the same? thanks for your opinion.

OP
OP

fkturboindo

First Name
Osmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
50% VTA + 50% Recirculate, brand: Turbo Xs. they claimed: Keep the ECU happy and check engine light free.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Smart Blow Off Kompact BOV is it good for our Civic Turbo? Screenshot_20200706-155119_Samsung Internet

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Smart Blow Off Kompact BOV is it good for our Civic Turbo? Screenshot_20200706-155119_Samsung Internet

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Just stay stock unless you want issues. People have ran 30+ psi with it holding just fine

OP
OP

fkturboindo

First Name
Osmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just stay stock unless you want issues. People have ran 30+ psi with it holding just fine
it means, our stock BPV is safe and reliable to hold pressure till 30 psi right?

thanks man,? really confuse about stay stock/ buy Hybrid Bov / Forge full recirculating BPV?.

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
There’s people running very high psi without failure so I would stay stock and not waste your money or worry about cel or other problems

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I enjoy my blow offs on my GT-R very much but I would highly discourage it on the CTR. They can be tuned in with some work but they are literally doing nothing for the car outside of pleasing your ear, the PRL HVI provides plenty of “spooly” but if you want more add the Titanium inlet pipe to increase the sound vs a BOV in my opinion.

OP
OP

fkturboindo

First Name
Osmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There’s people running very high psi without failure so I would stay stock and not waste your money or worry about cel or other problems
agree with you, thank you for your opinion brother??

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Smart Blow Off Kompact BOV is it good for our Civic Turbo? BOV
Sponsored