|Turbo silencer| HP gains?!?

solidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 2017
I have a civic ext 1.5 turbo with a Cold air intake and stage 2 tune by ktuner. I was driving today and ran across the same civic with the same tune and intake he smoked me, it was pretty noticeable gap tbh. I pulled up next to him and we talked about it and he mentioned the tune and the intake but he also mentioned that he was able to go faster because he removed the silencer ring? Now I was confused cause I'm pretty sure that does nothing but increase noise correct? Long story short but we pulled over I checked everything in his car including his tune and it was the exact same as mine I have the ktuner v2 and so did he. So my question is does removing the silencer ring on the turbo give me increased hp?
Sponsored

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
does he drive a MT? CVT? Probably launched on you lol

OP
OP

solidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 2017
Mt...We both had perfect launch plus even with perfect launch the gap was too big

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did he have a hidden NOS system under the passenger seat?

OP
OP

solidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 2017
I feel like all these replies are as bull**** as my question XD

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
There is no such thing as a silencer ring...

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well according to the goolges, lol no it doesnt, it main purpose as to what it does looks like it just silences the whine of the turbo. removing it would have no benefits. you both may have Ktuners but your friend may have a custom tune he isnt telling you about;) or he is using a custom setting, like getting a more aggressive boost ramp on his kturner

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm with @NorthernEX-T on this one. That's a Diesel thing.

... but he also mentioned that he was able to go faster because he removed the silencer ring? Now I was confused cause I'm pretty sure that does nothing but increase noise correct? ...
I think he was pulling your leg dude. @PRL Motorsports has some very detailed pictures of the turbo here: http://prlmotorsports.com/2016hondacivicsicr-vturbochargerupgradekit.aspx
I personally don't see anything that looks like a silencer ring. All that aside, you are absolutely correct that if we do have one, removing it would do absolutely nothing for power, spool speed, intake temps. That mod is purely for sound.

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
For some reason, there's a power/torque difference of about 5HP/20LB.FT. between the actual "STAGE 2 21 PSI map", and the "STARTER 21 PSI" map. Maybe both of you guys were not actually running the same map. There's also the possibility that he could have been driving in the L gear, which provides the best acceleration.

OP
OP

solidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 2017
I'm with @NorthernEX-T on this one. That's a Diesel thing.

I think he was pulling your leg dude. @PRL Motorsports has some very detailed pictures of the turbo here: http://prlmotorsports.com/2016hondacivicsicr-vturbochargerupgradekit.aspx
I personally don't see anything that looks like a silencer ring. All that aside, you are absolutely correct that if we do have one, removing it would do absolutely nothing for power, spool speed, intake temps. That mod is purely for sound.
So wait is that link you sent me a upgraded version of my turbo