Turbo reliability?

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
We'll just have to see what kind of track record develops for this turbo. I'd need to see this before going with it ( which I didn't ). Turbos really aren't necessary for cars but critical for aircraft at high altitudes.

I'm more concerned about the longevity of the CVT, with drive band and variable pulleys.
Sponsored

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I remember wanted to buy the Acura RDX when it first came out but questioned it because of the Turbo, Acura's first model.

It's been what over 10+ years so I think I got over it.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I'm more concerned about the longevity of the CVT, with drive band and variable pulleys.
You know how the CVT jerks when you come to a complete stop rather firmly and perhaps quickly? Isn't that bad for the CVT and introduces more wear to it?

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
You know how the CVT jerks when you come to a complete stop rather firmly and perhaps quickly? Isn't that bad for the CVT and introduces more wear to it?
I certainly never noticed any "jerks" as referenced. CVT performs flawlessly IMHO. The only pulse is on shifting trans selection, just like any conventional auto. I leave the throttle at idle until after the pulse before opening the throttle, which is a very good idea.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, the Cvt does jerk when coming to a stop. It has been doing it since the first 13 Accord was released and they are still doing it today. It seems to be the nature of the beast. It seems to be a driveability issue that in inconvenient and not as smooth as we'd like but is it actually causing mechanical issues? How many actual Cvt failures have been reported on this forum or the 9gen accord forum that I used to frequent? Slim to none.
Yes if we tune our cars it will be more likely that we may have a problem down the road but on a stock untuned vehicle, I think our concerns are unfounded.

OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Any relationship can be precarious hence by the way you managed 200k worth of smoking turbos. Here is what we are dealing with in the CVT Let me put this in that I heard the whine in (L) everyone is sharing and caring about and frankly, it was disconcerting as well as disheartening in terms of how much abuse it can take by ear test. However debunk my cra craziness but I would rather hear a whine on a CVT than a regular AT (like I kind of did in a V6 Accord whose transmission faulted but it wasn't nearly as audible as this). It's up to Civic X and how we are going to handle this CVT knowing his history and possible bright future, only time will tell..

Do NOT MOD this car!! I'm never using (L) now with the whine, NEVER and it would be stupid or atleast unwise to.
what about (s)?

OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
We'll just have to see what kind of track record develops for this turbo. I'd need to see this before going with it ( which I didn't ). Turbos really aren't necessary for cars but critical for aircraft at high altitudes.

is there a way of replacing the belt?

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone else experienced this. I have it happen once a month or so, it happens when I'm stopping hard, and then try to ease off at the last second to smooth it out. This car doesn't seem to appreciate it, and I'm trying to adapt.

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
Honda doesn't build unreliable cars. In a few years you will hear stories of guys running 300hp out of their civic and 500 from their accord with 150k miles on them.
Sponsored