Turbo noise aside from CAI?

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I’ve had a takeda cold air intake on my car since day 1 but wanting to get some more pshhh sounds. Running a decent tune definitely helped due to higher psi but was wondering if anyone has any anecdote with other parts that ARENT involving removing the stock BPV.

Parts that I can think of that would increase volume of air in the system and hopefully equate to some psh sounds would be the 27won TIP, race maf, possibly intercooler and charge pipes? Also a catless downpipe would probably give some more audible spool noises as well
Sponsored

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like all those would be very minimal differences in the turbo noise. I think I noticed a very slight increase in spool noise when going to catless but then again I'm not 100% sure. My buddy running garrett big turbo with PRL CAI has the craziest blow off noise I've heard so far but then again that's big turbo.

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All of those things can help a bit, but if you want more turbo noise you need MORE TURBO! The OE unit is tiny.
Is that necessarily true even with the w1/w2 drop in if running similar boost levels? If oem and w1 were both going to 23psi, wouldnt the oe spool faster in the lower rpms which would create more spool noises early and reach boost first before the rpms are too high and engine noises drown it out? Seems like we just need more air volume in the system, and maybe a vented hood or something if strictly chasing noise. Just speculating here since I have no idea, and no experience with a different car I just like learning and thinking about this kinda stuff.

I cut my front fake vents out and replaced with mesh recently and the suction and whirl noises are definitely louder, as well as the horn haha

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
https://youtube.com/shorts/7AgIwxTZ6gM

For anyone who ends up searching something similar and stumbling across this thread, I did everything mentioned here. Intercooler, charge pipes, 27won inlet pipe, 27won w1 turbo, prl race maf intake, catless downpipe. Sounds incredible in real life, very loud induction noises. I’d say atleast 2x as loud induction as before, but I think part of that was due to my air box takeda intake. Regardless, if you want some spooly sounds without risking a BOV and fuel trims, this is the way it’s done

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
https://youtube.com/shorts/7AgIwxTZ6gM

For anyone who ends up searching something similar and stumbling across this thread, I did everything mentioned here. Intercooler, charge pipes, 27won inlet pipe, 27won w1 turbo, prl race maf intake, catless downpipe. Sounds incredible in real life, very loud induction noises. I’d say atleast 2x as loud induction as before, but I think part of that was due to my air box takeda intake. Regardless, if you want some spooly sounds without risking a BOV and fuel trims, this is the way it’s done
what did you use to replace the honeycomb vents?

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what did you use to replace the honeycomb vents?
I cut out everything but the thicker border and used aluminum window screen. Then glued it in and used a bead of silicone on the front and back for some flex in it. Not the prettiest up close though

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I cut out everything but the thicker border and used aluminum window screen. Then glued it in and used a bead of silicone on the front and back for some flex in it. Not the prettiest up close though
Hmm interesting might have to do that myself
Sponsored