Turbo Inlet Pipe upgrade (PRL or any comparable brand)

psalm1

First Name
Psalm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I've only recently joined this site and made an account a few months ago as I found many of the threads useful. Now I just wanted some specific advice for my build or as specific as someone can get. I've had my 2018 FK8 Honda Civic Type R,(2nd hand got it with 6tkms) for about 6 months now (now at 9tkms)and this is the build so far:

- HKS Intercooler
- HKS Oil cooler (using HKS Super Turbo Racing 5W40)
- HKS Blow off valve ( SUPER SQV IV)
- HKS Racing suction kit
- HKS Hi-Power Spec LII exhaust
- PRL Downpipe
- Hondata Flash Pro (Custom Tune)
- Cusco strut bar

Power as of now (dynojet)
382 whp at the front wheels
387 lb-ft at the front wheels

I wanted to ask if anyone with a similar setup and power has upgraded the stock turbo inlet pipe and how much of a difference it would make in power with and without a tune since it is pretty much a bolt-on. Also if anyone has a recommendation for one that is well priced and still gives good gains pls suggest a brand. I've heard mostly that it will improve low-end response but I also want to know how much of a difference it would make across the powerband. I ask mainly because I am interested in one that is currently for sale by the shop I go to, a PRL branded one and it seems quite pricey.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Inlet Pipe upgrade (PRL or any comparable brand) 149301485_1324644511231279_1450543362297870751_n
Sponsored

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I've only recently joined this site and made an account a few months ago as I found many of the threads useful. Now I just wanted some specific advice for my build or as specific as someone can get. I've had my 2018 FK8 Honda Civic Type R,(2nd hand got it with 6tkms) for about 6 months now (now at 9tkms)and this is the build so far:

- HKS Intercooler
- HKS Oil cooler (using HKS Super Turbo Racing 5W40)
- HKS Blow off valve ( SUPER SQV IV)
- HKS Racing suction kit
- HKS Hi-Power Spec LII exhaust
- PRL Downpipe
- Hondata Flash Pro (Custom Tune)
- Cusco strut bar

Power as of now (dynojet)
382 whp at the front wheels
387 lb-ft at the front wheels

I wanted to ask if anyone with a similar setup and power has upgraded the stock turbo inlet pipe and how much of a difference it would make in power with and without a tune since it is pretty much a bolt-on. Also if anyone has a recommendation for one that is well priced and still gives good gains pls suggest a brand. I've heard mostly that it will improve low-end response but I also want to know how much of a difference it would make across the powerband. I ask mainly because I am interested in one that is currently for sale by the shop I go to, a PRL branded one and it seems quite pricey.

149301485_1324644511231279_1450543362297870751_n.jpg
The PRL is probably the most affordable around right now.

On a stock turbo, gains will be minimal. The advantage to the Ti inlet pipe will mostly be reflected in inlet temps.

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
I got innovatig. He does custom burning and designs on it. I asked for blue burns to closely match boost blue
Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Inlet Pipe upgrade (PRL or any comparable brand) 20201218_130758

201FK8

First Name
VINZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC TYPE R FK8, CRX SI 87', MAZDA 3 14'
Country flag
I got innovatig. He does custom burning and designs on it. I asked for blue burns to closely match boost blue
20201218_130758.jpg
how much did you pay for it?

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
prl is a safebet,on a oem turbo don't expect whp but iat/spool? is a win you will not need to retune,just maybe send a log to your tuner to be safe?

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
not to threadjack but can anyone explain why this is? not sure if theres much difference between theirs & rampages for half the money (albeit, rampage’s looks fantastic)

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The PRL ti pipe is shorter than the rampage one. Where the piping starts to curve, PRL has an elbow that isnt titanium iirc. The Rampage unit is full titanium all the way to the turbo. Rampages is also anodized, so im sure that factors into the pricing as well.

I think the gains from this is going to be from the thermal properties of titanium. Gabe from Rampage posted up a back to back dyno comparison on facebook that showed the titanium pipes ability to mitigate heat better allowing for them to throw a couple extra degrees of timing into their tune resulting in somewhere around 10hp gain or so.

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
@201FK8 innovatig runs about 750 shipped..middle option of 3. Prl 500, rampage 950.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
is the rampage legit no tune required as it states or is that bound to have issues at some point?

OP
OP
psalm1

psalm1

First Name
Psalm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag

On a stock turbo, gains will be minimal. The advantage to the Ti inlet pipe will mostly be reflected in inlet temps.
Ohhh good to know, thanks! I'm on the stock turbo as of now so I guess I'd save this upgrade for when I decide to upgrade from the turbo.

OP
OP
psalm1

psalm1

First Name
Psalm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
prl is a safebet,on a oem turbo don't expect whp but iat/spool? is a win you will not need to retune,just maybe send a log to your tuner to be safe?
That's quite compelling, even though I'm on the stock turbo I would want that better spool at the low end even if there are very little power gains to be had. Is the response very noticeable? And not needing a retune is nice too tbh.

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
That's quite compelling, even though I'm on the stock turbo I would want that better spool at the low end even if there are very little power gains to be had. Is the response very noticeable? And not needing a retune is nice too tbh.
yes sir,it help? iat drop faster to? and the scream of the turbo is priceless!

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Shouldn’t really ever require a tune, it doesn’t change the airflow enough to matter
but PRL’s does because the pipe is shorter & isnt full titanium (elbow, etc)?
Sponsored