Turbo failure. Civic 2018 1.0T manual.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Sorry to say but this is my last Honda, for the price here in the UK there are more accomplished vehicles and I need a reliable daily that just works. I have other cars for fun so the civic is just a tool to do a job but it needs to be a reliable tool.
Sponsored

Reactions: TBa

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Many North America consumer car reviews do not recommend the purchase Honda Civic with a Turbo

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
Does Honda offer the 2.0 naturally aspirated motor over in Europe? I've driven this engine mated up to the manual gearbox and it's a good bit of fun as a family beater. I have the CVT trans with the 2.0 motor because the main purpose of my shitbox Civic is to sit in commuter trafffic. Thus far, the drive train has been completely reliable.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does Honda offer the 2.0 naturally aspirated motor over in Europe? I've driven this engine mated up to the manual gearbox and it's a good bit of fun as a family beater. I have the CVT trans with the 2.0 motor because the main purpose of my shitbox Civic is to sit in commuter trafffic. Thus far, the drive train has been completely reliable.
The 2.0 10th gen was never available in the EU. Also, we will no longer get a petrol engine for the 11th gen. Hondas in the EU will be only e:HEV. The CRV 1.5T is already off the market, as well as the 2020 HRV. Current lineup includes Jazz, Jazz crosstar, the new HRV MY22(available from November 2021), the CRV e:HEV and the NSX (special order). There is some stock of civics left (1.0T and 1.5T) but once gone, they wont bring more in.

Honda Europe has not mentioned anything about the 11th gen Type-R but it is assumed that it will be made available as the only petrol engine Honda in the EU. For FK8s, I am not sure they accept orders anymore.

As for reliability, having owned 12 Hondas overall, both me and my father, I have to say the L15 is the most unreliable powertrain ever released by Honda. Plus, some friends own FK7s and they had various issues with the A/C being the most common.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Many North America consumer car reviews do not recommend the purchase Honda Civic with a Turbo
So does the expert, Scotty. Fact is, there are many 1.5T's with well over 100,000 trouble free miles out there.

OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.0 VTEC - 2017
Country flag
Hello,
feel it's time for an update.
As you can see in the text above, my turbo broke 6 months ago.
Not a very big deal, about $ 300 in deductible and then the car worked.
But before, one year earlier, my air conditioning had also broken down.

Then…
All of a sudden, 6 months later the same phenomenon reappears. "check the systems"
Tow truck, rental car and a lot of hassle again.
Today came the answer from the repair shop, engine totally broke… pistons and so on and so on.
The turbo is also broken.

But ... apparently honda is aware of this problem and has extended the engine warranty for another 3 years and they take responsibility for the repair.
Only problem is that there is a 10 week waiting period for the new parts.

I do not know if I should laugh or cry.
Good that it does not cost anything but oh how much hassle it has been.

This time we where on a holiday trip when it happened.
So my car is currently in a workshop that takes 8 hours to drive to.

alicj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's so sad to hear... Sorry for all the troubles you've had with this car. I'm actually surprised to see so many BMW on the list, since in NA German cars are equal to unreliability. Anyway maybe you should consider a BMW 1 series next? What made you buy the Civic?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Insurance covered the first repair… We don’t have that in North America, either, unless an extended warranty was purchased. But now… I would just say that you are VERY unlucky! ?

OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.0 VTEC - 2017
Country flag
I've been unlucky but still I'm glad I only had to pay a fraction of the total cost.

Air conditioning paid Honda.
When the turbo broke, my insurance company paid for most things.
Now that the whole engine has broken down, Honda is paying.
But I have paid deductibles, my own time and a lot of small extra small costs.

The reason it became a Civic was due to Honda's good reputation ...
Then when my two children loved what the Civic looked like, I bought it.
Otherwise, I have had many car brands and am basically not a old fan of Honda.
But with such a good reputation, I thought it was a good investment.
That's so sad to hear... Sorry for all the troubles you've had with this car. I'm actually surprised to see so many BMW on the list, since in NA German cars are equal to unreliability. Anyway maybe you should consider a BMW 1 series next? What made you buy the Civic?
Insurance covered the first repair… We don’t have that in North America, either, unless an extended warranty was purchased. But now… I would just say that you are VERY unlucky! ?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In all honesty, they usually are. With these new generations, they’re under a lot of pressure to deliver quality and performance at a price that will compete with much more cheaply made Korean, and soon Chinese cars. All while meeting near-impossible Government safety and pollution standards.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
With these new generations, they’re under a lot of pressure to deliver quality and performance at a price that will compete with much more cheaply made Korean... cars.
The thing is, just like Honda, many Korean cars sold in North America these days are built in North America with North American labor costs.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, but the underlying engineering and parts costs are lower. Customers also are fooled by the apparent quality and lower up-front costs for purchase. I have no issues with Hyundai, but their parts costs are more expensive out of warranty, and they specify oil changes twice as often as many other makes, for example.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
and they specify oil changes twice as often as many other makes, for example.
As a Hyundai and Kia owner for many years, that is news to me. I'm pretty sure they recommend 7,500 miles unless severe service.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Surprised the heck out of me, too. Any colleagues that have bought newer ones, have spec’ed ~5k miles as their schedule, as opposed to ~10k for other makes.

There was also the big blowout recently over Toyota requiring a subscription for your remote car starter to work. Hyundai had done this as well, but nobody mentioned them…

Also, a few years back, my father needed a little gasket for his Sonata. This would cost $10-$15 at a dealer. Hyundai wanted $25, with no alternatives to be found.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reminds me on the Honda Civic 1.6i DTEC (Diesel). The maintenance minder wants you to go the dealership every 5k to 6k miles to do an oil change.
Sponsored