Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I only know Hyundai's 2L turbo, but it's every 6k or 12 months.

Their remote start is weird. Some models have a separate fob with just a remote start button and others offer it through a phone app. Regardless, a subscription service for basic car features is dumb...
Sponsored

TBa

First Name
Tome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback 1.0 Turbo Elegance 2016-2018
Country flag
Hello,
feel it's time for an update.
As you can see in the text above, my turbo broke 6 months ago.
Not a very big deal, about $ 300 in deductible and then the car worked.
But before, one year earlier, my air conditioning had also broken down.
Hello,
I also had problem with 2016-2018 Honda Civic. Engine needed replacement 6 months after end of warranty period, with 65.000 km.

Service did troubleshooting and next day called me that Honda agreed to cover 50% of expenses, of which is almost 5.000 EUR my part. After that I sent email to Honda Germany in June 2021. Here is part of the email:

I contact you about unexpected functional problems with my vehicle.
My car has 65,000 km, 42 months since purchase. Guarantee is 3 years or 100,000 km. All maintenance and inspections have been carried out within the prescribed intervals at the authorized dealer. I was not informed about a possible extension of the warranty for the car and I do not know whether this was possible then.

On May 14th, 2021 I had an appointment at Honda service because of the defective air conditioning. The test has been carried out with the result: defective air conditioning condenser. At that time I did not have the air conditioning condenser replaced. The plan was to do it before the holidays. The last inspection was carried out on March 5, 2021.

New, unexpected major problems occurred in week 24 of 2021.
The fault function indicator comes on while driving with my family. I drove the last few kilometres to home at a low speed.
During the short drive back, the malfunction indicator began to flash. The engine lost power. You could hear that only 2 cylinders were working. According to the manual, I turned off the vehicle and waited for the engine to cool. Then I drove home carefully.
On June 22nd, 2021 I made an appointment with the authorized dealer. In the morning I drove straight from home to the Honda workshop without the fault function indicator lighting up. I was glad that my problem would be reliably solved as always. To my great surprise, the service technician reported an engine failure. The compression test was done and the third cylinder was losing compression. The camera inspection in the inner cylinder surface showed a vertical crack. The service technician couldn't tell me when or why the problem occurred and he suggested we replace the engine. He said I could drive back home carefully (about 35 km).

---

August 2021

After almost two months emailing with Honda, in which they kept referring me over again to the same Honda service (from which they literally kicked me out without explanation), to my great surprise the customer support gentleman called me on the phone and explain that I could go to another service if I wanted to and that he would contact the new service in person. The car was always maintained at an authorized service center and Honda remained at theirs 50 percent. I decided to fix the car because it will be an even bigger loss if I sell it broken for 6.000 EUR.

December 2021

Car is finally fixed. Engine is rebuilt with new engine block of probably different alloy. Crankshaft, cylinders, pulley and belt are also replaced. After 200 Km engine light came several times again and sometimes shuts down ignition in one of cylinders. After few visits to service spark plugs and one injector is replaced and car is working fine, except sometimes when driving slow over bumps downhill in idle gear error flashes and is not saved in system (service cannot find nothing).

Last edited:
OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.0 VTEC - 2017
Country flag
Update.
It took about 14 weeks but now the engine has been replaced. I asked the Honda dealer/garage what it cost and got the answer $ 12,500.
I paid none of it ... (of course Iā€™m thankful)
but the car workshop also discovered that the air conditioning had rusted completely but this was also fixed at no cost to me.

I do not know how it is possible that a car can have so many problems.
Subaru also often ranks very high in reliability tests, which was the reason why it bought a Honda. maybe time for a subaru now !?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, I guess I am not the only one that has had major issues and extremely long waiting times.....

teletxt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK7 Sport EUDM
Country flag
The 1.0T engine is not on the Honda's best of list. I know 2 person who has trouble with their 1.0T engine and currently waiting for the repair. The symptoms are the same. Fault light came on and engine lost it's power. It's seems the came belt worn out and particles made obstacles in the engine oil path.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know at least of 2 1.0Ts at my shop which have had major issues like these...

OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.0 VTEC - 2017
Country flag
I've also heard that's the problem.

So is there a different design on the other engine options?

According to Honda, the problem with the belt has been fixed, but that's hard to know.
Time will tell ...

The 1.0T engine is not on the Honda's best of list. I know 2 person who has trouble with their 1.0T engine and currently waiting for the repair. The symptoms are the same. Fault light came on and engine lost it's power. It's seems the came belt worn out and particles made obstacles in the engine oil path.

teletxt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK7 Sport EUDM
Country flag
One of the owner who are waiting for repair, said to me that he heard from the service technician that 200 1.0t engine will come to the European Honda services as a replacement part.

Hatch86

First Name
Steffen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10 Hatchback Elegance
Country flag
Sorry to hear about those problems, thank god i found my 1.6 iDTec... yes it needs an oil change every 8000-10000km, but it runs like a charm.

I was about to buy one of those 1.0T, but i didn't trusted that small engine, especially when i found out that they have a timing belt running in oil!

I wanted a 1.5T, but 99% of them had a middle exhaust (i need to tow our caravan with that car)

We finally found a 1 year old Civic that no one wanted, because its a diesel lol.
This saved us nearly 10k euros, when we bought it.

TBa

First Name
Tome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In my case not the whole engine is replaced, only the block.
Drive pulley was not the case of failure. If that was the case, engine would be replaced and covered from Honda. Here is service bulletin from Jun 2021.

If we were in the USA there would already be group class action against Honda and their Civic 1.0 engine.

---

Update:

I have had again motor light on, all systems were down and car loses power driving uphill. Service had troubleshooted the failure and they founded a puncture in the turbo intake hose. I hope the problem will be solved now permanently. Unforutunately I will probably have to sell my Civic to be at peace and outgrow my dream of owning a sporty Honda.

---

Official Warranty Extensin Bulletin

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo failure. Civic 2018 1.0T manual. Warranty Extension 1.0 Turbo Civic 1_cr

Last edited:

teletxt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK7 Sport EUDM
Country flag
In my case not the whole engine is replaced, only the block.
Drive pulley was not the case of failure. If that was the case, engine would be replaced and covered from Honda. Here is service bulletin from Jun 2021.

If we were in the USA there would already be group class action against Honda and their Civic 1.0 engine.

---

Update:

I have had again motor light on, all systems were down and car loses power driving uphill. Service had troubleshooted the failure and they founded a puncture in the turbo intake hose. I hope the problem will be solved now permanently. Unforutunately I will probably have to sell my Civic to be at peace and outgrow my dream of owning a sporty Honda.

---

Official Warranty Extensin Bulletin

Warranty Extension 1.0 Turbo Civic 1_cr.jpg
Do you have the full TSB?

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
If you want to drive a 10th Gen Civic, just buy the 1.5T
It will bring you safely and reliably from A to B.
I have a 1.5T and my fuel consumption with about 30% city driving is at 40+mpg (5,7l/100km), so i doubt the 1.0T is better. I'm driving without the eco mode and deactivate the start/stop system.

FYI: the 1.0T isn't even a Honda development. It was created by FEV, an automotive engine supplier.

TBa

First Name
Tome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you want to drive a 10th Gen Civic, just buy the 1.5T
It will bring you safely and reliably from A to B.
I have a 1.5T and my fuel consumption with about 30% city driving is at 40+mpg (5,7l/100km), so i doubt the 1.0T is better. I'm driving without the eco mode and deactivate the start/stop system.

FYI: the 1.0T isn't even a Honda development. It was created by FEV, an automotive engine supplier.
I wanted 1.5 turbo but at the time it was over my budget. When lost time, money and nerves are added, it makes more sense buy 1.5. I would never expected something like that from Honda. I did not ask where the engine comes from, assumed it is developed by Honda with usual reliability. It is clear that Honda have more problems with this engine, not only drive pulley from service bulletin.

Havenā€™t had luck with handler / service neither. Employee from the vehicle reception called me and did not want to tell me what it was about because (quote) he dont understand those techical stuff abot engine in detail and i should speak with techician (end quote). Bad news about the problem was communicated in person from a soggy technician, who said he never saw something like that.
I didnā€™t tust them at all and i went to another bigger Honda handler.

Few days ago I have received a notice in post that they (first service, where car is also bought new in 2017) will be closed permanently from next month.
Sponsored

Last edited: