First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.0 VTEC - 2017
Country flag
Hello everyone
I was driving on the highway and suddenly the message "check the system" came and the engine light came on.
Now the car is in repair and it seems to be the turbo that is broken.
It is a Honda Civic FC 1.0T with manual transmission.

I am a family man ? and have never pushed the car but I live in Sweden and the car is driven in very cold weather sometimes, if that matters!?

I'm just wondering if I've been unlucky or if it's a common problem !?

thank you for reading and thank you for your possible answers.

// Niklas
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Turbochargers do wear out and fail over time. How many KM do you have on the vehicle?

Reactions: Air
OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Turbochargers do wear out and fail over time. How many KM do you have on the vehicle?
True and thanks for your answer.
I have driven about 80 000km (43197 miles)
Not much I guess!?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It’s hard telling how the climate where you live would affect wear on certain parts. Also hard telling if you’re driving style or habits contributed to it.

Turbos can fail prematurely due to no fault of your own. It’s not unheard heard of.

I also don’t know if the turbo is a different make than the ones we get on the North American models. The 1.0T is not offered here.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
I have heard of turbo failures on the 1.0T. Not sure what causes it but the Cambelt on that engine can shed particles from it and I'm just wondering if the oil feed has become partially blocked leading to oil starvation? Purely speculation on my part but the 1.0T is not one of Hondas finest due to the whole Cambelt in oil. It has to be changed at 75k miles and is a small fortune to do, how does ÂŁ2000 sound! Ouch. A lot of folks here in the UK are getting rid of them due to the cost of this. Your far better with the 1.5T

OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you guys for all your answers.
Didn’t know about the cambelt and the cost, thanks.

it is more of a boring issue, because the car is at the car repair shop for about a week now.
The cost is about 2600 $ for a new turbo but I only have to pay for a fraction of that.

it is my first Honda and I have heard about the quality but so far…
One AC unit and one turbo in 4 years…
None of my previous cars have had similarly problems.

but I still like the car.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It kills me how some of the shit with this generation is soiling the Honda brand for some people. Because it’s actually a great car aside from its problems that cost way too much to have fixed at a dealership.

People who buy a civic don’t buy a civic to spend BMW money fixing problems in it’s first 5 years of ownership.

OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It kills me how some of the shit with this generation is soiling the Honda brand for some people. Because it’s actually a great car aside from its problems that cost way too much to have fixed at a dealership.

People who buy a civic don’t buy a civic to spend BMW money fixing problems in it’s first 5 years of ownership.
Some buy cars to have fun, others because of the need for it.
With two children, wife, house and a full time job, I just want the car to work.

One of the reasons a bought a Civic is the quality I’ve heard about and because it is a very fun car to drive, despite it’s small engine. My kids also loved the look.

So, to be honest… I bought it new and pay a bit for the insurance and the annual service.

I don’t want red lights flashing on the highway, on my way to an amusement park with my family.

I might get another Honda but I’m not truly convinced over it’s “talked about” quality.

but as you said, it’s a great car and when the engine lights ain’t flashing we really love it.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some buy cars to have fun, others because of the need for it.
With two children, wife, house and a full time job, I just want the car to work.

One of the reasons a bought a Civic is the quality I’ve heard about and because it is a very fun car to drive, despite it’s small engine. My kids also loved the look.

So, to be honest… I bought it new and pay a bit for the insurance and the annual service.

I don’t want red lights flashing on the highway, on my way to an amusement park with my family.

I might get another Honda but I’m not truly convinced over it’s “talked about” quality.

but as you said, it’s a great car and when the engine lights ain’t flashing we really love it.
The majority of the people who decide to buy a Honda will go buy the car with “Honda reliability” at the top of their list for reasons to feel good about signing that paper, or deciding to not get the extended warranty. So it sucks that so many people are having issues with this civic.

A lot of newer technologies and risks were taken with this generation to keep the car in the affordable price range they wanted. But when you’re smacked with a 2000$ bill for your Civic right out of warranty, it’s going to piss off a lot of people who can’t really afford a bill like that.

OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The majority of the people who decide to buy a Honda will go buy the car with “Honda reliability” at the top of their list for reasons to feel good about signing that paper, or deciding to not get the extended warranty. So it sucks that so many people are having issues with this civic.

A lot of newer technologies and risks were taken with this generation to keep the car in the affordable price range they wanted. But when you’re smacked with a 2000$ bill for your Civic right out of warranty, it’s going to piss off a lot of people who can’t really afford a bill like that.
So true and I thinks it’s a challenge for the entire industry. The competition is so hard for car makers today. Look at the electrical cars, according newspapers here in Sweden they all have more issues then traditional cars.
But people wants electric cars, so…

Another thing, in the same area. The first repair shop told me it’s the Wastergate but it was a unauthorized repair shop, that my insurance company didn’t have official agreement with.

So my car was moved to “the right” service shop.
They just told my and the insurance company “it’s the turbo”
My insurance company will pay for the entire new turbo, almost. So for me… Wastergate or turbo, I’m not the one paying.

But it says a whole lot about the system we have created and accepted.
The westergate is around 200$…

The repair shop is happy!
Im happy!
Honda is happy!
The insurance company doesn’t care, it a huge company and they just raise the annual insurance fee for every other Honda owner with a small amount.

If you ask me… I think the world would be a better place if we hade a system where my Westergate where fixed and not the entire turbo…

maybe that’s just me ?‍♂

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Glad you got your issue fixed. It’s hard to imagine a 1.0L engine in a civic in the US. Everybody wants power here. You must get killer fuel economy. 40 mpg highway with 200 hp in the Si is incredible.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Air
Great that your car got fixed and I'm glad the insurance covers most if it. Do you know how much the repair cost of the turbo was?

On the german Honda forums there are plenty of lot of people who're having issues with the 1.0.
Problems often come up already at 50k or 60k kilometers. ?

Best three things you can do is do the oil changes regularly, try getting the engine warm before pushing it over 2000 rpm and of course avoid short trips, especially in winter.

OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Air
Great that your car got fixed and I'm glad the insurance covers most if it. Do you know how much the repair cost of the turbo was?

On the german Honda forums there are plenty of lot of people who're having issues with the 1.0.
Problems often come up already at 50k or 60k kilometers. ?

Best three things you can do is do the oil changes regularly, try getting the engine warm before pushing it over 2000 rpm and of course avoid short trips, especially in winter.
thanks for great advice.
short trips in winter… it’s hard avoiding that in Sweden. :)
The total price, for the turbo and the work is 2255 euro or 23000 sek.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
So true and I thinks it’s a challenge for the entire industry. The competition is so hard for car makers today. Look at the electrical cars, according newspapers here in Sweden they all have more issues then traditional cars.
But people wants electric cars, so…

Another thing, in the same area. The first repair shop told me it’s the Wastergate but it was a unauthorized repair shop, that my insurance company didn’t have official agreement with.

So my car was moved to “the right” service shop.
They just told my and the insurance company “it’s the turbo”
My insurance company will pay for the entire new turbo, almost. So for me… Wastergate or turbo, I’m not the one paying.

But it says a whole lot about the system we have created and accepted.
The westergate is around 200$…

The repair shop is happy!
Im happy!
Honda is happy!
The insurance company doesn’t care, it a huge company and they just raise the annual insurance fee for every other Honda owner with a small amount.

If you ask me… I think the world would be a better place if we hade a system where my Westergate where fixed and not the entire turbo…

maybe that’s just me ?‍♂
well,the good thing is your turbo will have zero miles on it now.dont feel bad,the a/c evaporator on my 2015 camaro died and it cost me $2000 to fix it.dealer had to remove windshield and dashboard to get to a $300 part.next time i will buy an antique and work on it at home...

OP
OP

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some kind of conformation… from a UK magazine
Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo failure. Civic 2018 1.0T manual. 80DD8EE4-C59D-46A1-9017-49C387BB16D5
Sponsored