Turbo extremely Hot???

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For this reason I strongly recommend getting the aftermarket honeycomb grilles. I noticed the engine bay gets significantly cooler from the added airflow and heat escapes more quickly when the car is stationary. Parts like the intake used to be burning hot to the touch before I installed mine. Now I can crack my hood after running the car for a long time and touch pieces in the engine bay without getting 3rd degree burns.
Did you get the one from Pro civic or ebay? The Pro Civic one is nice but the shipping to Canada is just insane. Was thinking of getting THIS
Sponsored

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Did you get the one from Pro civic or ebay? The Pro Civic one is nice but the shipping to Canada is just insane. Was thinking of getting THIS
you could also open up your stock grill if you’re a DIY kinda person. Spoon didn’t wait around for a grill to be made, so they just opened up the stock grill

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo extremely Hot??? A5F15EE4-E172-48EA-82B6-FCA9FE790FAC

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I got the one on eBay. The ProCivic version is better and I had some problems with the emblem sitting flush in mine, but for the price it’s pretty well constructed.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
you could also open up your stock grill if you’re a DIY kinda person. Spoon didn’t wait around for a grill to be made, so they just opened up the stock grill

A5F15EE4-E172-48EA-82B6-FCA9FE790FAC.jpeg
Evasive did the same thing as well with their FK8.

USR is using this kind of grille on their FK8:

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo extremely Hot??? 69BBC3EC-29FF-4B2E-AD1E-4E4AEC7843E9

Deane

First Name
Deane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ariel Atom 3S
Country flag
Exhaust gases spin a wheel in the exhaust housing. Connected to a shaft, that spins a wheel in the compressor housing that sucks in and compresses air. Thing is cooled by engine oil.. Turbo spins hella fast, creating heat from friction, on top of heat from exhaust gases.

tl;dr: turbos get hot af
I was going to ask how turbos are lubricated. So it constantly uses a bit of engine oil then? Does this draw down the oil level noticably in a couple thousand miles?

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I was going to ask how turbos are lubricated. So it constantly uses a bit of engine oil then? Does this draw down the oil level noticably in a couple thousand miles?
The oil going to the turbo still drains back to the main sump. The biggest concern is the extreme heat and super high friction shearing forces the oil experiences within the turbo. Turbos are harsh on oil.

Deane

First Name
Deane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ariel Atom 3S
Country flag
The oil going to the turbo still drains back to the main sump. The biggest concern is the extreme heat and super high friction shearing forces the oil experiences within the turbo. Turbos are harsh on oil.

Thanks! I always wondered how that worked.

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
Yes. Turbos get insanely hot. If it wasn’t glowing, it wasn’t even that hot
That's factually inaccurate... Black Body Radiation begins at ~1160F

@Joe1986 Stock turbo can reach >2300F, but if it's not emitting light it's <1160F
Sponsored