Turbo engine + CVT...a surpise

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is " hold more power and let you mod the car"?
I'm an English teacher and have owned 4 CVT vehicles (learned to love the CVT).
He meant take more power... As in bolt ons. That all remains to be seen, there's a Thai cvt civic running around with 220 at the wheels and their cvt is still fine after 20k km. People have no faith in new tech. Case and point I build wind turbines, you'd think they spewed carcinogens straight down peoples throats.
Sponsored

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the paddle shifters they mimic upshifts and downshifts exactly like a traditional auto, but much smoother and much quicker of a change IMO.

OP
OP
xcoreflyup

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
What is " hold more power and let you mod the car"?
I'm an English teacher and have owned 4 CVT vehicles (learned to love the CVT).
Mod = modifiy.

Compare to traditional automatic, cvt can handle less HP. I believe there is a reason why the 2017 V6 accord still use a tradtional AT instead of CVT. A stock MT on the other hand, can handle way more HP.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a Subaru WRX with a CVT tranny that worked extremely well, and handled all the power just fine, Nissan has CVT trannies that can take a lot of hp.

OP
OP
xcoreflyup

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I test drove a Subaru WRX with a CVT tranny that worked extremely well, and handled all the power just fine, Nissan has CVT trannies that can take a lot of hp.
I believe the lexus ls600 hybrid got the highest hp number for a car that comes with CVT. it got 439. The gas version of that car still use a 8 speed AT.

I am sure when time goes on , they will keep improving its capability. but for now...you would want to get the car with a 6MT if you will modify the engine.

Last edited:

pgrimm856

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
Mod = modifiy.

Compare to traditional automatic, cvt can handle less HP. I believe there is a reason why the 2017 V6 accord still use a tradtional AT instead of CVT. A stock MT on the other hand, can handle way more HP.
Oh - "hold more power" = transfer more torque to wheels amd "mod" = change ECC config to increase BHP. Question: Why not just bye a vehicle with higher rated H

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I believe the lexus ls600 hybrid got the highest hp number for a car that comes with CVT. it got 439. The gas version of that car still use a 8 speed AT.
I think that torque capacity is typically the limiting factor for a CVT, not hp. Also the Toyota and Lexus hybrids don't use a pulley-and-cone transmission like most CVTs. They are planetary gearsets and are much stronger and simpler.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
I've really come to like the CVT once I learned how to drive it. It still sounds strange to me, but this car sips (regular) gas and can blow by people at stop lights.

Is it a BMW 335i? Nope. But it costs 1/2 of that BMW and has a much, much lower total cost of ownership.

(I have a late model BMW, so I know what I'm talking about here :) )

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
He meant take more power... As in bolt ons. That all remains to be seen, there's a Thai cvt civic running around with 220 at the wheels and their cvt is still fine after 20k km. People have no faith in new tech. Case and point I build wind turbines, you'd think they spewed carcinogens straight down peoples throats.
(test)

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
"S" mode is awesome and "S" with the paddles puts it in manual mode shown on the dash, it really is a blast!!!!

OP
OP
xcoreflyup

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh - "hold more power" = transfer more torque to wheels amd "mod" = change ECC config to increase BHP. Question: Why not just bye a vehicle with higher rated H
because fast and furious.

Good question, why dont you post that question at our modifying sub-forum on here and see what kind of answer you would get.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 CX Hatch w/ B18C-R (JDM) swap & 2017 EX 5-door Hatch
Totally defeats the purpose right? Just give me a planetary auto at that point.
I believe the reason for the fake/emulated shifting is so that the engine doesn't sound so monotone when accelerating. Some Honda engineer probably decided that it sounds better if the tone of the engine goes up and down every now and then instead of being stuck on the same note all the time.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the reason for the fake/emulated shifting is so that the engine doesn't sound so monotone when accelerating. Some Honda engineer probably decided that it sounds better if the tone of the engine goes up and down every now and then instead of being stuck on the same note all the time.
Aka appeasing customers. What do the engineers give a shit what it sounds like? It's the end user satisfaction they are trying to "improve". A cvt is at its best, performance and fuel economy wise, when it acts like a cvt. I wouldn't loose my boost during the fake "shifts", my engine would sit exactly where it gets best power the entire time. Drone be damned.
Sponsored