Turbo engine + CVT...a surpise

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Got my 2017 Hatchback sport Saturday and been taking it to work everyday since Monday and I found a surprise. The CVT and a small displacement turbo engine is a good combination. it is always at the right gear ratio at the right time and the thing shifts noticeably quicker than conventional automatic trans.

I know the 6MT can hold more power and let you mod the car, but damn I am happy with the CVT

Loving this thing.
Sponsored

danno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Got my 2017 Hatchback sport Saturday and been taking it to work everyday since Monday and I found a surprise. The CVT and a small displacement turbo engine is a good combination. it is always at the right gear ratio at the right time and the thing shifts noticeably quicker than conventional automatic trans.

I know the 6MT can hold more power and let you mod the car, but damn I am happy with the CVT

Loving this thing.
Didn't know a CVT had "shifts".

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)

Loving this thing.
Sounds like you've had :cool: a shift in thinking.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase

Loving this thing.
I got the CVT tranny as my son and wife would be driving the car, I fully expected to hate the combination before I test drove it. I have driven some CVT trannies in the past and hated them immensely. I insisted on getting the paddle shifters to help trick my mind if I was going to end up with that tranny. After driving it though I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with it, I really like the tranny as it works perfectly. It is well engineered, it gives up almost nothing to a manual tranny in terms of performance and fuel economy, gear ratio changes via the paddles are quick and smooth. Driving it in Sport mode provides a real boost in response and keeps the powertrain in peak power range. I am very impressed with this combination.

OP
OP
xcoreflyup

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
fine...I liked how it "change its gear ratio"...better?

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
I've always driven automatics. My 2016 EX-T is the first car I've driven that's had a CVT. I like it a lot better. I like how I can accelerate all the way to almost redline before a shift, whereas in an automatic, the car shifts around 4k or so RMP. It's so smooth and delivers power all the way.

rkindel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback, 2010 Mazda MX-5 GT
I was prepared to hate the CVT with all the negativity out there from the auto press but, I gotta say, I like it just fine. Does a fine job without calling attention to itself.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
fine...I liked how it "change its gear ratio"...better?
Nah, you had it the first time. These guys have clearly never gone WOT past 100km/h. The transmission 100% has shift points programmed into the ECU. If the engine rpms jump back down so they can climb back to redline, I'd call that a shift, electronic or mechanical.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
The only experience I've had w cvt, is from the 08 civic hybrid with a cvt transmission I drive. I have no issue with it for aggressive daily driving and Canyon roads. I just put it in sport mode if I want more response from the throttle.

The driving experience would probably suffer more only if I were to ever autox or roadrace the poor car.
Dct would have been nice and much more responsive w aggressive driving, but to me it can be a bit more jerky at low speeds (from the 06 audi a3 I've driven before). Im not going to complain about a better cvt equipped daily driven car.

ScrawnyNelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Sedan
Technically they do lol. The ECU/pulley "shifts" the position of the drive belt based on throttle position and driver input (paddle shifters). A deliberate design by Honda to mimic the behavior of traditional autos.
That's true, but it's interesting how differently it can be approached. My first experience with a CVT was in a '16 Maxima, where its transmitting 300bhp, and it's pretty obvious by comparison that the Nissan engineers tried much harder to make it simulate a planetary-geared automatic. "Shifts" are very defined, easily felt and anticipated, and surprisingly consistent, whereas my Civic can sometimes feel as though there's no shift-simulation at all.

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
If ya turn off the VSA and put in S it is possible to spin the tires from a stop.The thing with the CVT it getting the sweet spot.After owning a FP tuned 9th SI I'm very impressed with the 10th 1.5-T CVT combination and when I get it FP tuned it's gonna be even better.

pgrimm856

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase

Loving this thing.
What is " hold more power and let you mod the car"?
I'm an English teacher and have owned 4 CVT vehicles (learned to love the CVT).
Sponsored