Turbo durability?

Bworks3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus RX 300
I've never owned a car with a turbo engine. I do like the idea of extra power on demand with fuel efficiency. I'd like to see a report or article that addresses the issue of how well these engines have been holding up with high mileage. I've read a few articles that make mention of the popularity of these engines (diesel) in Europe. Are they running gasoline turbo engines as well?

I called a local garage and the mechanic said he doesn't get very many turbo engines at a small garage like his, but he thinks after 150,000 miles it's a pretty safe bet that the turbo will start acting up and need to be replaced. He estimated several thousand dollars in parts and labor. How accurate is this assessment?
Sponsored

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
So, there's not enough data yet on the 1.5T to develop an idea of long term reliability. The Euro diesel engines are way too different from the gasser to really connect the 2. However, did you find out if the diesel engines are long lasting so far? Honda has done turbos before, they had a turbo Legend V6 back in the 80's. That car was pretty reliable.

My main issue with the CivicX wouldn't be the turbo, but did you consider the reliability of other things like the Android stereo system? If that dies on you or becomes frustratingly obsolete that'll be a bigger issue than your turbo.

I just bought a GTI, this generation was introduced in late 2014 as a 2015 model. The early 2015's were shipped with a type of turbo that actually blew up on it's own. VW revised it, installed a much better turbo (on a side note, it is also a much more capable turbo supporting high levels of boost when modded!). VW fixed most owners cars with the new turbo. NOTE: VW denied most turbo warranty claims on tuned cars.
VW's and Audi's have had tons of turbo problems over the years. Defective wastegates, diverters, flooded intercoolers, bad turbos, etc. Turbo is a complicated thing. Honda will probably do a better job than VAG, but there is still more room for problems on a turbo car.

If your turbo car ever has a problem, it will be expensive if you have someone else service it. If it is a simple failed turbo from high miles, you could possibly fix it yourself fairly inexpensively. You may need a new intercooler and other parts at that time also, but getting it done under $1,000 DIY should be feasible.

I predict Honda's 1.5T will last longer than you would think, probably much longer than the rest of the car. There's a bunch of other crap that will crap out before the engine, IMO. The LCD gauges, integrated HVAC and Android stereo are big early death candidates IMO.

I see you have an LX, why ask about 1.5T??

spets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Country flag
A brand new turbo for this car is about ~$700. If it ever breaks, it won't be that expensive to change it out.

This is a brand new engine so we don't have any long term results yet, but Honda has done turbo engines in the past so they are not completely new to the game. it "should" be pretty reliable.

OP
OP
Bworks3

Bworks3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus RX 300
So, there's not enough data yet on the 1.5T to develop an idea of long term reliability. The Euro diesel engines are way too different from the gasser to really connect the 2. However, did you find out if the diesel engines are long lasting so far? Honda has done turbos before, they had a turbo Legend V6 back in the 80's. That car was pretty reliable.

My main issue with the CivicX wouldn't be the turbo, but did you consider the reliability of other things like the Android stereo system? If that dies on you or becomes frustratingly obsolete that'll be a bigger issue than your turbo.

I just bought a GTI, this generation was introduced in late 2014 as a 2015 model. The early 2015's were shipped with a type of turbo that actually blew up on it's own. VW revised it, installed a much better turbo (on a side note, it is also a much more capable turbo supporting high levels of boost when modded!). VW fixed most owners cars with the new turbo. NOTE: VW denied most turbo warranty claims on tuned cars.
VW's and Audi's have had tons of turbo problems over the years. Defective wastegates, diverters, flooded intercoolers, bad turbos, etc. Turbo is a complicated thing. Honda will probably do a better job than VAG, but there is still more room for problems on a turbo car.

If your turbo car ever has a problem, it will be expensive if you have someone else service it. If it is a simple failed turbo from high miles, you could possibly fix it yourself fairly inexpensively. You may need a new intercooler and other parts at that time also, but getting it done under $1,000 DIY should be feasible.

I predict Honda's 1.5T will last longer than you would think, probably much longer than the rest of the car. There's a bunch of other crap that will crap out before the engine, IMO. The LCD gauges, integrated HVAC and Android stereo are big early death candidates IMO.

I see you have an LX, why ask about 1.5T??
The LX is a close friends. It has been a slow process for me to decide which trim level I can live with without regretting missing luxuries. Just need to sleep on it for a while longer, but most likely EX-T.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Honda MOTOR Company enjoy a pretty good track record in producing engines. My personal experience with Honda motorcylces, cars, lawnmowers, trimmers and my snowblower has been great. I've got the 1.5 Turbo on the way and look forward to years of trouble free miles. A couple of interesting videos attached.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Turbos are extremely complex and unreliable. They have a moving part. That's why passenger planes never use turbo-fan or turbo-jet engines (or any other turbo-like device) to transport passengers or cargo. Turbos are just too dangerous and unreliable. That's why stationary generators that operate 24/7 never use turbos. You'd never see a turbo on an emegency generator in a hospital--and that should tell you something. That's why ships at sea never use turbocharging. Certainly no locomotive would be caught dead with any kind of turbo. That's why long-haul and even short haul truckers never use turbocharging. Certainly, the truck that delivers your Honda to your dealer would never rely on some sketchy turbocharger to get your car to it's destination...

Last edited:

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still confident in Honda. I don't intend on keeping the car beyond 7 years max. and would be sure it is under bumper to bumper warrenty. Hope my next vehicle is electric and hovers......

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Turbos are extremely complex and unreliable. They have a moving part. That's why passenger planes never use turbo-fan or turbo-jet engines (or any other turbo-like device) to transport passengers or cargo. Turbos are just too dangerous and unreliable. That's why stationary generators that operate 24/7 never use turbos. You'd never see a turbo on an emegency generator in a hospital--and that should tell you something. That's why ships at sea never use turbocharging. Certainly no locomotive would be caught dead with any kind of turbo. That's why long-haul and even short haul truckers never use turbocharging. Certainly, the truck that delivers your Honda to your dealer would never rely on some sketchy turbocharger to get your car to it's destination...
Damn man I was about to jump all over your shit until the sarcasm light went on!

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Turbos when run within their compressor map efficiency range and oil changes are kept up with are very reliable. Current turbos are water cooled and oil lubed.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Can't believe how well that translator speakers Japanese. Amazing. Wish I could do that.

They say after the IC, the intake tube runs around behind the engine. So what's the plastic tube in the front of the engine, which the air filter is connected to in other photos?

Big difference in an aircraft turbojet engine and a turbocharger on a passenger car. Not to mention the cost difference, so naturally the little $1000 turbo system on the Civic isn't going to be as reliable as an aircraft, ship, or locomotive. Turbine engines cost millions, and use metals like titanium. Turbine aircraft also go through routine checks, maintenance and overhauls.

The OP had a legit question. I'm sure it's reliable enough, but it's just fact that on average the turbo engines won't be as reliable as the N/A engines.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
The OP had a legit question. I'm sure it's reliable enough, but it's just fact that on average the turbo engines won't be as reliable as the N/A engines.
Definitely true when comparing turbo to N/A engine, but comparing modern turbo engines to ones from 1-2 decades ago, they're very reliable now. I doubt turbos will be failing left and right on these cars but if you were one of the rare unlucky ones, $700 replacement cost is very reasonable for turbo replacement.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Definitely true when comparing turbo to N/A engine, but comparing modern turbo engines to ones from 1-2 decades ago, they're very reliable now. I doubt turbos will be failing left and right on these cars but if you were one of the rare unlucky ones, $700 replacement cost is very reasonable for turbo replacement.
I agree, which is some of what I was trying to say.

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Up to now I had serious reservations about owning a turbocharged car. Most that I've seen in the past were designed to get more power out of an engine that was also sold without one. In that scenario the turbo engine would always be more stressed than the naturally aspirated engine.

In this application Honda designed the engine as an integrated system. It's not a coincidence that they don't even have a turbo badge on the car. It's not there to hot rod the vehicle. It lets a small efficient engine take the place of a much larger and heavier unit.

As a licensed aircraft mechanic I can say without hesitation that the Inconel turbine rotor in the Honda is as advanced as metallurgy gets for this type of application. I'm not silly enough to blindly trust any company, including Honda. But I do trust their financial incentive in maintaining their reputation for quality. I've had my Touring almost a month and I love it.
Sponsored