Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
My 2003 Jetta TDI has 260,000 miles on it and I literally have never touched the turbo or the actuator that runs it, nor the intercooler or related systems. Diesel engines have cooler exhaust gas temps and that helps a lot. I do understand there are other huge differences but my point is that the turbine in and of itself can be a very long-lasting item.
Sponsored

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
This is my first post, and I registered to this forum just so I could reply to your post. I had such an urge to reply that I didn't even read the rest of the thread.

I'm just going to come right out and say this, because I don't know how to sugar coat words - dude, you are clueless...
Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup: It's always best to read the whole thread for context. :)

And thanks for helping me make my point.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to think like you. I don't operate my engine at 55% to 80% steady-state throttle like an airplane at cruise speed does. I bought our 1.5T for my wife, who I'm willing to wager will not "floor" the throttle more than once in the car's entire lifetime (if even that) and will typically operate the engine at 10% throttle or less nearly all the time, and only rarely go to 20% throttle even getting on the freeway. So turbocharging on my particular car likely won't even figure into service life at all.

Let us also remember that all of the diesel pickup trucks today are turbocharged AND run very high compression AND have wide open intakes all the time (no throttle plate), and those engines are made to last a very long time. So it isn't like the manufacturers don't know how to make a high compression turbocharged engine that lasts a long time.
Very well said, however, even with your foot off the throttle, it's still at 13.9%. Typical flat ground cruise at 70mph is 18-24% throttle. Your statement still stand true, however. Unless you are slamming it 24/7, a turbo should not reduce engine life, as you simply aren't using it.

MRsm1th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 civic ex 2012 Crc exl
This is my first post, and I registered to this forum just so I could reply to your post. I had such an urge to reply that I didn't even read the rest of the thread.

I'm just going to come right out and say this, because I don't know how to sugar coat words - dude, you are clueless. Let me address each incorrect statement you made.

1) "Turbos are extremely complex and unreliable. They have a moving part." Huh?? Turbos are extremely simple and reliable, precisely because they only have a single moving part.

2) "...passenger planes never use turbo-fan or turbo-jet engines (or any other turbo-like device) to transport passengers or cargo." Huh?? The vast majority of passenger airliners and cargo aircraft use high-bypass turbofan engines.

3) "That's why ships at sea never use turbocharging." Huh?? The RT-flex96C, the largest ship diesel in the world, is turbocharged.

4) "Certainly no locomotive would be caught dead with any kind of turbo." Wrong again. Virtually all diesel locomotives employ turbochargers.

5) "That's why long-haul and even short haul truckers never use turbocharging." Wrong again. Virtually every big truck diesel engine is turbocharged.

Additionally, virtually every automotive light truck and industrial diesel engine in America today is turbocharged.

Carry on.
Lol at least your a member now keep on keeping on dude!!! Took me a re read of his post to catch sarcastic implication.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
more likely lean and hot from the tune
..... combination of both.....i would wager trims were/ are all over the place.... takes a pretty shitty tune to do that before say 10 years of use

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
..... combination of both.....i would wager trims were/ are all over the place.... takes a pretty shitty tune to do that before say 10 years of use
if its running 12.5:1 13:1 it wouldnt take that long if he was in it a lot. This guy has a 100k already.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Holy shit didn't realize the mileage. I digress. How or why on earth would you try to make Honda eat this then?
Sponsored