Turbo Bypass Valve Stuck, or is it?

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
My fk8 has turbo flutter as well for about 2 weeks and is complete gone now? Will update if it comes back.
I had the same issue, flutter as well. It would come and go. Only fully resolved once Honda replaced the bypass valve.
Sponsored

Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
Hello there,

My dealer finally found the issue and it's been perfect ever since. It turns out I had a faulty actuator and needed to replace it. Only 6 other cars had this issue so maybe ask the dealer to contact Honda to see if it's the same issue.
Which actuator are you talking about? My car just suddenly lost power while driving down the freeway. At 80mph in 6th gear it would just barely accelerate under full throttle. I restarted the car and it seemed to go back to normal. Several days later it threw the P2563 code and said I had an immersion problem and Rev matching was disabled.

I read on a different forum that it was the wastegate actuator. Is this what you are talking about?

Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
Which actuator are you talking about? My car just suddenly lost power while driving down the freeway. At 80mph in 6th gear it would just barely accelerate under full throttle. I restarted the car and it seemed to go back to normal. Several days later it threw the P2563 code and said I had an immersion problem and Rev matching was disabled.

I read on a different forum that it was the wastegate actuator. Is this what you are talking about?
I just recently had the exact same thing happen. I mean exactly as you described it, same code and everything.

What I have found is that now when I want to drive the car I have to do the following process:

1. start the car and I let it run long enough for all the components to initialize (all the systems on the dash and the entertainment system to be on the safe side)
2. turn the car back off and wait for everything to power down (type R emblem disappears from the dash display)
3. start the car again.

If I don't do this the car makes almost no power as if it is not making boost. And the car will throw the 2563 code again.

Note: I believe that anytime your CTR throws a code it will disable the rev-matching and possibly other features because the car is in limp-home mode...

So my question is what is causing this? The P2563 code states "Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance" Is this actually a sensor error or is it a physical problem with the wastegate valve or something of that nature???

Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
I just recently had the exact same thing happen. I mean exactly as you described it, same code and everything.

What I have found is that now when I want to drive the car I have to do the following process:

1. start the car and I let it run long enough for all the components to initialize (all the systems on the dash and the entertainment system to be on the safe side)
2. turn the car back off and wait for everything to power down (type R emblem disappears from the dash display)
3. start the car again.

If I don't do this the car makes almost no power as if it is not making boost. And the car will throw the 2563 code again.

Note: I believe that anytime your CTR throws a code it will disable the rev-matching and possibly other features because the car is in limp-home mode...

So my question is what is causing this? The P2563 code states "Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance" Is this actually a sensor error or is it a physical problem with the wastegate valve or something of that nature???
UPDATE: I had my wife start the car, doing the process listed above and saw what was happening. The valve does cycle, but not return to fully closed (I'm assuming) on the initial cold start. As soon as I restart the engine the valve cycles completely. I have enclosed a video of it doing this...

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Bypass Valve Stuck, or is it? Boost valve controller

Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
If you ever have to replace that BPV valve, it is a MOTHERFUCKER !!
Are you talking about the electronic wastegate actuator that I have highlighted here? Honda verified that it is defective and I've already ordered a replacement from a third party vendor.

Derteano007

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
Im having this issue currently. Had to replace the oem turbo due to some unfortunate events. The mechanic ended up using non oem hoses so I had a kink which prevented boost, changed those and since then at start up for about 5 min or so I hear the flutter and or hollow sound and then it completely goes away for the rest of the drive. I’ve read this whole forum, can anyone suggest how to figure out what it may be whether the bypass valve or the actuator. I’m not trying to dump to much more money into it. Thank you again for your guys help.

Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
If you ever have to replace that BPV valve, it is a MOTHERFUCKER !!
To get to the front bottom bolt on the heat shield I had my daughter kneeling on top of the engine facing forward. Thanks to her skinny butt she was able to reach it fairly easily for both removal and install of that bolt.

Neosky

First Name
Almer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
UPDATE: I had my wife start the car, doing the process listed above and saw what was happening. The valve does cycle, but not return to fully closed (I'm assuming) on the initial cold start. As soon as I restart the engine the valve cycles completely. I have enclosed a video of it doing this...

Boost valve controller.jpg

I have the same problem with my Si. So how much was the new one costs?

Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
Hello there,

My dealer finally found the issue and it's been perfect ever since. It turns out I had a faulty actuator and needed to replace it. Only 6 other cars had this issue so maybe ask the dealer to contact Honda to see if it's the same issue.
Which actuator are you talking about?
Sponsored