Tuning solutions and questions

visualabstrakt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R, 2008 Evo X
Country flag
Hello. I'm currently looking into purchasing either Hondata or KTuner. I've been trying to research into them but there hasn't been a lot of comparisons. All that is said is that the basically do the same. Has anyone used both of them or went one way and wish they went the other? I currently have a GRP turboback and PRL intercooler installed and I'm looking to maximize having those items with a tuner.
Sponsored

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was in a similar boat looking for comparisons. I went with Ktuner v1.2 for the following reasons: it's $250 cheaper; Ktuner has figured out how to make the OBD adapter pair with the head unit in my 2018 so I can see the IATs etc.; I like how the v1.2 can stay plugged into the OBD port without having to run a wire somewhere.

I don't understand why Hondata charges so much more as they seem to offer the same service using a less desirable formfactor.

I would only go with Hondata right now if you have a local tuner with lots of Hondata experience or you want anti-lag right now or plan to use 100 octane, although I imagine Ktuner will have those features soon.

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
You can't go wrong with Ktuner but Hondata is right up there with them. I personally have the Ktuner V2 and it is working well but outside of the product, I think Hondata has the edge from a customer service standpoint. Ktuner is email only which is generally slow and impersonal but Hondata is very interactive with customers. Pick your poison, friend!

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been a KTuner customer for four years and have been very happy with the results I've gotten from my other car (4G TL) and now from the CTR. Good off-the-shelf tune selection, easy to use, more affordable, and that they can utilize the 2018 head units for TunerView is very handy. Hondata has been around a very long time, I used them back on my old turbo B18C5 EM1 and they do make a great product. So basically, you really can't make a wrong decision here, just depends on budget and some other sort of fringe details like whatever your tuner is most familiar with.

OP
OP

visualabstrakt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R, 2008 Evo X
Country flag
Silly question but I read somewhere that you can have your ECU unlocked and still be stock tuned without fully going with the flashpro. Since I'm undecided as of now, is having your ECU unlocked the same for both tuners? Can I have my ECU unlocked by either company for now and then decide later?

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
Silly question but I read somewhere that you can have your ECU unlocked and still be stock tuned without fully going with the flashpro. Since I'm undecided as of now, is having your ECU unlocked the same for both tuners? Can I have my ECU unlocked by either company for now and then decide later?
You can have your ECU jailbroken by either seller. I think Hondata also has an option for remote jailbreaking. You may want to call them and ask them about it.

OP
OP

visualabstrakt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R, 2008 Evo X
Country flag
Is there a difference with the Ktuner v1.2 and the v2 other than the display?

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Had Hondata on 2018 SI which I got rid of for the Type R. Running KTuner v1.2 on Type R. Wanted to try something different and also the off the shelf maps weren't working exactly to my liking for the SI.

Benefits of K-Tuner for Type R: can run Tunerview lite app on my 2018 head unit, cheaper unit (v1.2) can keep OBD Bluetooth dongle plugged in with no cables (v1.2), you can choose power levels based on mode (Comfort, Sport, +R), if you have an Android you can run the full TunerView app on your phone to data log and also flash tunes, and also if you buy v2 you have a full display all-in-one unit.

Drawback of K-Tuner: less off the shelf tune options for mods (intercooler, downpipe, etc), no antilag (not that I care since I'd never use it), my local tuner uses Hondata, no app support for Iphone users

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
You can store tunes on v2 and flash without a computer if i recall correctly. I have v1.2 and it's worked great for me.
On the V1.2 you can flash stored tunes right from the app!

Also we do have tunes for downpipe included. We've tested with an intercooler extensively and didn't see a need for adjustments to be made for that.

OP
OP

visualabstrakt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R, 2008 Evo X
Country flag
Had Hondata on 2018 SI which I got rid of for the Type R. Running KTuner v1.2 on Type R. Wanted to try something different and also the off the shelf maps weren't working exactly to my liking for the SI.

Benefits of K-Tuner for Type R: can run Tunerview lite app on my 2018 head unit, cheaper unit (v1.2) can keep OBD Bluetooth dongle plugged in with no cables (v1.2), you can choose power levels based on mode (Comfort, Sport, +R), if you have an Android you can run the full TunerView app on your phone to data log and also flash tunes, and also if you buy v2 you have a full display all-in-one unit.

Drawback of K-Tuner: less off the shelf tune options for mods (intercooler, downpipe, etc), no antilag (not that I care since I'd never use it), my local tuner uses Hondata, no app support for Iphone users
Have you ever regretted not getting the V2 or are you pretty happy with the v1.2?

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Have you ever regretted not getting the V2 or are you pretty happy with the v1.2?
With the ability to display everything in the Tunerview app on my head unit, i have never regretted not getting the V2.

OP
OP

visualabstrakt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R, 2008 Evo X
Country flag
With the ability to display everything in the Tunerview app on my head unit, i have never regretted not getting the V2.
So just to be sure, the only difference is the additionally display? Everything else is the same as far as tuning?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a V2 and later bought a V1.2 to replace it because of this great feature.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Lots of great info. Thanks everyone I just unlocked my ecu still deciding which way to go.
Sponsored