First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Hello,

2018 Si here located in New Jersey. Currently I have an AWE Track Exhaust and am looking to get the PRL CAI Racing along with the K tuner. I've read that KTuner has a few base maps that are "conservative" to give more responsiveness and a little more power. I am not looking to push 300 WHP or anything like that, but the question I have is. Upon my research I saw that most people who have a TSP Stage 1 recommend upgrading your clutch as the added torque / hp will result in clutch slippage. Typically speaking with the PRL CAI + the base tunes that come with the K Tuner (Not the 20+ psi maps) will that result in clutch slippage? I am just trying to see if there may other potential expenses within the next few months to a year. 50,000 miles on it, but 42,000 miles unknown how previous driver drove. Obviously every vehicle is different just trying to see others thoughts.

Main reason for wanting to tune the car is for more responsiveness, remove rev hang, and minor power gains. I am thinking about one of the tunes that come with the Tuner that allow for different boost caps for sport/non sport mode.

Only really complaint about my car is the annoying clunk when shifting that people here said was the normal clunk from the flywheel. I just don't hear it much now with the AWE Exhaust.

Side question: For those with TSP Stage 1 how long after you used it did you notice any issues with your clutch or transmission.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I've used TSP stage 1 and their 1+ version which kicks up to 250whp/290tq and found that tsp stage 1 plus was smoother than stage 1. You can be aggressive on the stock clutch on map 2 a bit, but I wouldn't floor it until after 3.5k RPM for since the torque before that is very high on TSP stage 1. On 1+ the torque curve is basically from 3-4.5k if i remember correctly so you need to WOT later. Regardless map 2 on tsp 1 and tsp 1+ are enough for daily driving. If you have 93 octane fuel you'll be fine with tsp 1+ or if you have 91 octane and e85 that helps too. I would recommend tsp stage 1.5 to be honest.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
First off, search is your friend. I run an extensive tuning reliability thread that has a lot of your answers.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ience-reliability-thread-for-all-models.42361

Most people running base or OTS tunes have done well on the stock clutch. If you mostly just daily drive and only give it bursts of power here and there you should be fine.

As far as tune choices, I recommend the OTS tunes as the best balanced tunes. The base KTuner tunes are OK but not as refined. The TSP 1 and Phearable 1.5 have also proven quite reliable. The Phearable 1.5 is the smoother of the two.

If you buy your KTuner from those two companies, they will throw in their tunes for free. That's a great deal.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Just plan for a clutch. Why do the power mod if you drive all the time worrying about the clutch. If you can change it yourself, you are money ahead. If you have to pay to have it done, may not be worth it. Once you go down this road, it's hard to stop! This car really wakes up on stage 1, but it will only make you want more. My clutch slipped bad on TSP stage 1. I installed Clutch Masters FX350 with aluminum flywheel. Currently on Phearable stage 2.5 and just replaced transmission due to 4th gear stripping. Had a ball up to that point. I do all my own work, so just out parts cost. Have fun with your build!

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I had full bolt ons and ran stage 1 for 5 thousand miles or so with stock clutch on map 3 and never had clutch slip. It all depends on how you treat your clutch from new. If you ride the clutch or let it out slowly on downshifts or don't match revs it will wear and slip sooner. All depends on the driver. That's what I found at least

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I've seen other posts with comments about driver skill and clutch reliability, but that's a big variable. I'm easy on the clutch, but at the same time, I want power to pass and have my fun. The clutch upgrade allows for more aggressive driving so you can enjoy the power transfer more often. I never dumped the clutch on Stage 1, and always rev match when downshifting. My problem was pulling at highway speed during my commutes. The stock clutch just doesn't have enough margin in its design to hold torque past stock. There are many posts on this subject, where it can't all be driver skill. Some people get lucky with stage 1 and have longevity in the clutch, whereas other people have the same experience as mine. A person looking at power mods on this platform should factor in a clutch, or baby the car and hope it lasts.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello,

2018 Si here located in New Jersey. Currently I have an AWE Track Exhaust and am looking to get the PRL CAI Racing along with the K tuner. I've read that KTuner has a few base maps that are "conservative" to give more responsiveness and a little more power. I am not looking to push 300 WHP or anything like that, but the question I have is. Upon my research I saw that most people who have a TSP Stage 1 recommend upgrading your clutch as the added torque / hp will result in clutch slippage. Typically speaking with the PRL CAI + the base tunes that come with the K Tuner (Not the 20+ psi maps) will that result in clutch slippage? I am just trying to see if there may other potential expenses within the next few months to a year. 50,000 miles on it, but 42,000 miles unknown how previous driver drove. Obviously every vehicle is different just trying to see others thoughts.

Main reason for wanting to tune the car is for more responsiveness, remove rev hang, and minor power gains. I am thinking about one of the tunes that come with the Tuner that allow for different boost caps for sport/non sport mode.

Only really complaint about my car is the annoying clunk when shifting that people here said was the normal clunk from the flywheel. I just don't hear it much now with the AWE Exhaust.

Side question: For those with TSP Stage 1 how long after you used it did you notice any issues with your clutch or transmission.

Thank you!
I reflashed TSP stage 1 on 7/31/2018. I used a version that made the most powerful map that peaked at 24.5# of boost be the one the car started on and that’s the only map I ever used. I reflash to a similar setup for TSP Stage 1+… which I think peaks at 26#. I am stock other than the PRL stage 1 intake (silicon tube and drop in filter).

I am on the stock clutch and have had no slippage. I drive pretty aggressively but don’t demand peak torque at low RPMs like it’s a diesel truck. It’s all in how you drive it, in my opinion. Others may feel differently, but my car has been fine. If I had issues with the clutch, it would have been replaced as needed. As it stands in almost 4 years of running the car, with all but a couple months being reflashed in some manner, an aftermarket clutch is still not needed.

Good luck…
Honda Civic 10th gen Tuning Question BB158AC9-A4BE-447A-A684-AACE034609C3
Sponsored