Tuning for Fuel Economy

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's a throttle setting for that on the standard civic 1.5Ts. As far as tuning for even better efficiency than factory and the included tunes, it can certainly be done!
^^^^Um, yeah, I may be in the market for this. Like right now. :D Haven't been racing or even going fast in eons so.

Map 1 - Super Fuel Economy (Even with light foot on gas)
Map 2 - Regular
Map 3 - Acceleration of the Gods

Welp....guess I'll be contacting Drob soon. ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep us informed! I would love a custom tune like this tbh. Eco-focused map 1, factory-like map 2, and full-out race mode map 3, just like you describe. Once I get my downpipe and intercooler, I may see about a custom tune like that - if it works out well for you.

• Love
Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
self tune the right foot
If a tune can out optimize even the right foot, interested. Technology and all. 60mpg baby. :p
I'd bet a tuner may be able to 'out-eco-mode' a factory eco-mode. Especially if you have modifications done. Who knows!

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
If a tune can out optimize even the right foot, interested. Technology and all. 60mpg baby. :p
I'd bet a tuner may be able to 'out-eco-mode' a factory eco-mode. Especially if you have modifications done. Who knows!
No tuner is going to send out a mass fuel economy tune. One people will hammer on it and pop a headgasket, two the cars are already tuned with a great light throttle a/f and with the turbo almost in boost almost at will, it would be reckless to tune leaner. The most you'd get would be maybe 1-2 mpg at best. So you'd have to drive the car for a few years to offset the price you'd pay for the tune to begin with.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No tuner is going to send out a mass fuel economy tune. One people will hammer on it and pop a headgasket, two the cars are already tuned with a great light throttle a/f and with the turbo almost in boost almost at will, it would be reckless to tune leaner. The most you'd get would be maybe 1-2 mpg at best. So you'd have to drive the car for a few years to offset the price you'd pay for the tune to begin with.
It seems you may be right for the most part. Always good to ask these things though (or research), just incase things have change with tuning in the past few years. I always keep an open mind about things.

Tuning for Fuel Economy - Motor Trend
Fuel Saving Tune - Chevy Avalanche

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
You can always make your car lighter.
Lighter wheels, hood, less junk in the car, etc.
Also check tire pressure, windows down AC off during city driving and windows up AC on during highway driving.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
But even if they could eek out that kind of mileage it would be about as fun as driving a Prius.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Other options include aerodynamic modifications including a boat tail as seen in the ecomodder forum or putting on Tesla wheels with the aero covers.

There is one option still in development where you change your spark plugs to plasma based system and lean the engine according to Transient Plasma System, the company developing the system.

Reactions: Myx

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Lowering boost targets below factory levels would definitely net you more than 1-2 mpg and not castrate the vehicle completely. You do have control of those target tables if you want to get creative.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
An optimized fueling and timing map (like TSP or better) and a limit in boost to like 10 psi can do the trick for the fuel saving map, decent torque and not too much power. Dont ever reduce throttle responsiveness too much on the fuel saving map or you will find you smashing the throttle too much.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm on the 21psi tune and I traveled 170 miles one way on Memorial day weekend. Set the cruise to 60mph, went through several small towns, one Wot up to 100mph, and the cars computer said 46.7mpg.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An optimized fueling and timing map (like TSP or better) and a limit in boost to like 10 psi can do the trick for the fuel saving map, decent torque and not too much power. Dont ever reduce throttle responsiveness too much on the fuel saving map or you will find you smashing the throttle too much.
That would be cool, I would totally use the 10 PSI eco tune, if there was one available.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One could replace those massive side view mirrors with smaller ones. This aerodynamic modifications would definitely improve the gas mileage.
Sponsored