Tuning... Do you think we're moments away from what Cobb just did?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you don't know, Cobb just dropped a green initiative update to Accessport, which is their tuning solution for a lot of other brands, that completely deletes the ability to tune with emissions bypassing items on your vehicle. EPA coming for us all now. Do you think we're about to have this happen on Hondata and KTuner as well? I'd expect so if the EPA has already cracked the whip on one of the biggest companies in the market. Be prepared as a lot of people were in the middle of or already had emissions bypassing equipment tuned on their vehicles.
https://www.cobbtuning.com/green-speed-update-april-2022/
Sponsored

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It's possible, but besides preventing the suppression of CEL/DTC for emissions related codes, such as what a catless downpipe would cause, I'm not sure what the actual effect of these changes will be. I’m not a tuner, so I don’t know how relevant a lot of the emissions related functions are, but I don't see anything in their announcement that spells the end of tuning. This is definitely inconvenient for people with aftermarket catted or catless downpipes but in some instances the CEL can be circumvented with an O2 sensor defouler. Or, if you’re lucky enough to have a high flow downpipe with a GESi catalyst such as PRL’s HVDP it’s just a nonissue. Hopefully, the supply chain issues will resolve and production of CEL-free downpipes can resume. I was lucky enough to snag one from the first batch for my car, at least…

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Short answer: no

However, I do think you will see more "green" options continue to come to the table.

jeffreymartin

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic Type R
Country flag
As both a car guy and someone who breathes, I don't know I see the downside to this? We can still tune cars, and enjoy the performance, but without increasing pollutants. Here in the midwest, we have to "rolling coal" idiots. They seem like a good place to start as far as enforcement.

OP
OP
Shankmeyster

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Myself I don't have a problem with it as I haven't done any "bypass" stuff since I had my 2010 Si. I just wonder how many people have bypass stuff that a tune is keeping running that this might effect.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As both a car guy and someone who breathes, I don't know I see the downside to this? We can still tune cars, and enjoy the performance, but without increasing pollutants. Here in the midwest, we have to "rolling coal" idiots. They seem like a good place to start as far as enforcement.

Overall yeah, It sucks for those of us using aftermarket downpipes that are catted though. I went catted specifically because it seemed like the right thing to do.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
It's possible, but besides preventing the suppression of CEL/DTC for emissions related codes, such as what a catless downpipe would cause, I'm not sure what the actual effect of these changes will be. I’m not a tuner, so I don’t know how relevant a lot of the emissions related functions are, but I don't see anything in their announcement that spells the end of tuning. This is definitely inconvenient for people with aftermarket catted or catless downpipes but in some instances the CEL can be circumvented with an O2 sensor defouler. Or, if you’re lucky enough to have a high flow downpipe with a GESi catalyst such as PRL’s HVDP it’s just a nonissue. Hopefully, the supply chain issues will resolve and production of CEL-free downpipes can resume. I was lucky enough to snag one from the first batch for my car, at least…
By preventing the suppression of those DTCs, states with mandatory inspections can fail vehicles that do not meet requirements as the result of tampered emissions systems. This puts the owner in the position of having to reverse their changes or risk getting their car ticketed, impounded, or seized. In states like Florida, it won't matter one bit.
Sponsored