vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
The tune is locked down by D-Rob. Only basics like BBG and Advanced VSA can be adjusted.

I think the main difference is lack of early spool and less aggressive throttle. There are also many ignition and fueling changes behind the scenes. It's just a more balanced tune IMO, although I miss the snappier off the line feel of the KTuner setup.
Snappy is a good description of what I feel off the line. I can see the heat cloud left behind. Yeah, I'd like to look at and get into ignition and fueling base with slight mods balancing it with the boost in my tune. Need the research. I read about increasing/ decreasing the angle, but I don't have a clue how and where in the ignition table to begin with this. I hesitate, from what I've read here and other places, damage is easier with timing mods mixed with turbo mods. Best to leave alone. With the incremental boost I have, the ECU adjusts the ignition to 0 at the top end. Knock runs 0.49-0.52.
Would there be any noticeable difference if I went with what you installed, aFe Pro Dry S filter and a PRL Motorsports silicone intake hose?
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Would there be any noticeable difference if I went with what you installed, aFe Pro Dry S filter and a PRL Motorsports silicone intake hose?
The main difference is a slight boost in throttle response but not much more than that.

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Usually, when we mention tunes and safety we talk about the risk of damaging the drivetrain. This topic is about how tuning can sometimes make your CivicX a safer vehicle to drive.

I live in metro Baltimore, Maryland. Home to crab cakes, Lamar Jackson and without question, the worst drivers in America. The most careless and clueless. Allstate Insurance has backed that up with stats showing Baltimore area drivers have accidents more often (by far) than any other US metro area. :eek:

Yesterday, my theory about tuning and road safety was put to a scary test. I was driving to work and I had a near miss. This particular section of highway has a fast lane, middle lane and a right lane that serves as a merge to another highway.

That far right lane was at a standstill and cars were backed up for a good half mile. I was in the fast lane. All of the sudden, a car in front of me slammed on their brakes. I quickly moved to the center lane to avoid slamming my brakes. Then, just as I got into the center lane... one of those "oh shit" moments happened...

A blue Mustang that was stopped in the right lane backup decided to pull out into my lane at the last second. He clearly didn't see me. I was doing 65-70 as he started pulling into my lane and we were ready to collide...

No amount of braking would have stopped me in time. Quickly moving into the fast lane to avoid him wasn't an option due to the line of traffic there.

I only had one move. Go as far as I could to the left and power out of the mess. And that's what I did. I steered left (going slightly over the line into the left lane) and put the throttle to the floor. There was no hesitation and no lag from the powertrain. I powered through fast enough to just miss the Mustang.

My heart pounding, all I could think was "thank god I'm tuned with that TSP Stage 1". That extra oomph got me past the Mustang before he was fully in my lane. Stock, there would have been a collision, no doubt.

Sure, there are real concerns about tuning and the risks to the drivetrain. But, on the road, a tune can create a more competent, fun, and in some situations, safer vehicle.
Cool story bro! :rofl:
No but seriously it's great you're a smart driver and you were able to avoid that situation. Regardless of how much speed, power or handling a vehicle has it still takes a driver who can handle it. Unfortunately most drivers are idiots and most accidents could have been avoided way before they happened.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cool story bro! :rofl:
No but seriously it's great you're a smart driver and you were able to avoid that situation. Regardless of how much speed, power or handling a vehicle has it still takes a driver who can handle it. Unfortunately most drivers are idiots and most accidents could have been avoided way before they happened.
Well, I do have 45+ years of practice, so there's that.

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I do have 45+ years of practice, so there's that.
I would like to say that counts for something but I've seen people who have been driving for decades who can't figure out how to back out of a parking space :rofl:
But mad respect to those who learn from their :drive: experiences and become drivers

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also, living where I do I've learned to expect the unexpected from other drivers.
Sponsored

Last edited: