Tuning a 10th gen daily driver... just do it!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
CivicTooSlow messaged me a few times last night and I suggested he contact KTuner at [email protected]

I still believe that this is a question of those safety suite items re-initializing, but JR (owner/founder) at KTuner would be the best expert to try to resolves this.

And CivicTooSlow, KTuner isn't junk. I know you're frustrated but try working with KTuner's JR to resolve this. He might have an easy fix.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On a separate note and pertaining more to the topic of this post, @gtman do you think a performance air filter by itself makes any worthwhile improvement to a tuned vehicle, or do you think I'll notice more combining a performance filter and a Mishimoto/PRL intake hose? I know the change in performance is probably peanuts in the grand scheme of things, and that a race MAF intake system would net me the most performance, but to what cost?
I think the hose (I use a PRL silicone hose, aFe filter combo) does add a small gain in throttle response and I noticed slightly better highway mpg compared to just the performance drop-in alone. And it looks cool. :cool:

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the hose (I use a PRL silicone hose, aFe filter combo) does add a small gain in throttle response and I noticed slightly better highway mpg compared to just the performance drop-in alone. And it looks cool. :cool:
Are you aware of any difference between a K&N vs that aFe vs other performance filters? Can't imagine too much being different at that level but who knows. Just the fact I can clean my filter and re-use it is big to me. And I even hear the faintest trace of turbo noise sometimes :cool:

Deleted member 51112

Just talked to John on the phone at Phearable. He seems like a stand up guy...called me to resolve this, he's offered to remote in to my laptop and we'll try a 4th try with him online with me to see if the Ktuner is the issue, or if its the car. Lots of weird stuff happening with this device, I'm convinced its defective but I'm willing to give it a try since he seems pretty sure he can fix things for me. If not, he's offered me a return/exchange. So either way, I either get the car set up with all my nannies working properly and my cruise control back and dash lights off, or a return. Thanks to John for being a stand up guy about this issue.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just talked to John on the phone at Phearable. He seems like a stand up guy...called me to resolve this, he's offered to remote in to my laptop and we'll try a 4th try with him online with me to see if the Ktuner is the issue, or if its the car. Lots of weird stuff happening with this device, I'm convinced its defective but I'm willing to give it a try since he seems pretty sure he can fix things for me. If not, he's offered me a return/exchange. So either way, I either get the car set up with all my nannies working properly and my cruise control back and dash lights off, or a return. Thanks to John for being a stand up guy about this issue.
Glad you're getting help. Here's to you getting this completely resolved.

jabberwocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla/Pilot/Tacoma
100% echoes my thoughts. I had Hondata with their base tunes, several of my home-brewed Hondata maps, numerous KTuner maps, the TSP Stage 1 and the Phearable 1.5 tune. And before I got the Phearable tune, I thought the TSP 1 was outstanding.

But the magical 1.5 tune from Phearable is near perfect. It has a smoothness from low rpm to the top of the powerband that can't be beat. I think the sweet spot for a balanced everyday tune is Map 2. But even Map 1 makes the stock Honda map feel like utter crap. I reserve Map 3 and the nearly 25 psi I see on hard pulls for "special occasions". ;)
Is map 1 and 2 map different as far as the curve? It seems that map 1 spins up earlier around 2-2.5k like stock did. But map 2 it seems to wait until after 4k then it spins up very quickly and you get a huge boost?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you aware of any difference between a K&N vs that aFe vs other performance filters? Can't imagine too much being different at that level but who knows. Just the fact I can clean my filter and re-use it is big to me. And I even hear the faintest trace of turbo noise sometimes :cool:
I've used all of them and prefer the aFe. First, I don't have to worry about oiling it. It's a dry, re-usable filter. I can literally just vacuum it out and get it back to 90% efficiency or just wash in soapy water and rinse for 100%. It's pricey, but my favorite filter.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is map 1 and 2 map different as far as the curve? It seems that map 1 spins up earlier around 2-2.5k like stock did. But map 2 it seems to wait until after 4k then it spins up very quickly and you get a huge boost?
I find at part throttle it's about the same as Map 1 until you get past 3500. Of course it has noticeably more peak boost at that point. I don't think there's an earlier spool one map to another within the tune. Could be wrong though. There may be a quicker high rpm ramp in the more powerful maps though.

jabberwocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla/Pilot/Tacoma
I find at part throttle it's about the same as Map 1 until you get past 3500. Of course it has noticeably more peak boost at that point. I don't think there's an earlier spool one map to another within the tune. Could be wrong though.
Maybe thats what it is. I don't normally have the psi gauge up. I didn't even think to look at that. Next time I am on map 2 I will check. Thanks!

healtoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I have been base map 19/23 psi @KTuner for a week now. My ltft number seems odd. I flashed back to stock hoping the ltft number would balance out and it is still -100%…is this doing any damage to the engine? I ordered the pherable tune and hoping that fixes the ltft…
Honda Civic 10th gen Tuning a 10th gen daily driver... just do it! 69AE1CB4-91AA-49AE-9453-32AC5A10B0C3

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LTFT2 is for V6 engines only.

bansheeback

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I upped all of the quick adjustments to put as my high performance tune, but a new sound seems to come out of my engine now. Whenever I’m on that tune (basically everything in quick adjustments to their highest levels) I hear a hissing sound. It just happens when I’m accelerating, and appears to come from around the right side of the car. It stops when I take my foot off of the pedal. Is this normal when the turbo is at such a high boost pressure?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you feeling a loss of power or just hearing that sound? If you're hitting your boost targets it's probably just normal turbo sounds magnified by the higher boost.
Sponsored