Tuning a 10th gen daily driver... just do it!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think most people know that tuning a 10th gen makes for a more competent, more fun to drive car. The holdup for most is warranty worries. This thread will be my take on why tuning a 10th gen car that's basically an every day commuter is a smart and safe choice.

Most of you know I run the community tuning reliability thread and have been tuned for well over three years. That gives me a pretty unique and valuable point of view to make what some may consider an over the top statement...

Which is ... I firmly believe that if you follow my guidelines you will have zero issues and zero warranty concerns while tuned. All the while having a car that has the on demand power you need, when you need it.

I'm not talking about buying full bolt-ons and tuning it to produce the most power. Or tracking the car. Just basically saying to add a base or even better a TSP or Phearable OTS tune to a daily and leave everything else stock (except for maybe a drop-in air filter).

That's the basic setup I use. And if you look at my reliability thread, cars set up this way pretty much have 100% reliability. And if you're thinking that a setup like this will be barely better than stock, think again.

My car easily can compete with the GTI's and V6 family cars out there on the highway. Merging and getting up to speed is effortless. The power gets you out of dicey traffic situations much quicker and easier than stock. And for the most part, fuel economy is still great.

Just maintain your car properly, monitor some parameters from time to time and use the highest quality gas you can.

Feel free to thank me later.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fully agree. Even just the base map "stage 0" is an improvement with the better throttle response and quicker turbo spool.
Yep. See, I think a lot of people assume that all tunes will hugely stress the engine and transmission. Fact is, just like on my Phearable Map 1, boost isn't much higher than stock but throttle response and torque is bumped up just enough to make it a much better daily compared to the mediocre stock tune.

Last edited:
First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si
Country flag
I know I'll have to do the clutch eventually but I only have 4k on the car and don't want to be doing a clutch at 10k cause I drive like a jackass when the roads are empty, my main reason avoiding it for now.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, "driving like a jackass" + a tune is not the best combination. You're a wise man. :cool:

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
GT, this is what I’m looking for, and given the Ktuner V2 seems the best option, I’d be obliged to know your thoughts on parameter set-up: in normal or Sport Mode, I’d like stock tune parameters up to about 3K RPM in any gear, then the car wakes up after that. I’m looking to preserve the clutch by not allowing the engine to be ‘loaded’ at lower RPMs, and thus reducing the stress on the clutch at those RPMs.

Any wisdom you have is totally welcomed!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
GT, this is what I’m looking for, and given the Ktuner V2 seems the best option, I’d be obliged to know your thoughts on parameter set-up: in normal or Sport Mode, I’d like stock tune parameters up to about 3K RPM in any gear, then the car wakes up after that. I’m looking to preserve the clutch by not allowing the engine to be ‘loaded’ at lower RPMs, and thus reducing the stress on the clutch at those RPMs.

Any wisdom you have is totally welcomed!
Boost by gear is your friend. You can limit boost in the lower gears and/or have it ramp up in all gears to protect things a bit. Also, with the on the fly map switching, you can set up 3 different maps. Map 1 can be at near stock boost, Map 2 something moderate and Map 3 for those days you wanna really scoot.

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/quick_boost_by_gear_settings.htm

Then you have a variety of other settings like early spool and turbo responsiveness that you can dial back if you want.

Last edited:

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Yeah, "driving like a jackass" + a tune is not the best combination. You're a wise man. :cool:
Indeed. Perhaps, in this thread, we have stumbled upon the wisest jackass on a forum full of both in-depth technical wisdom and unabashed, unadulterated jackassery. And I say that with love (and honestly, probably also as a jackass). Overall, civicx.com is one of the most useful and entertaining car forums I've ever had the pleasure of joining.

I will join the tune parade one of these days...it's just a matter of time. And when I do, it will be a relatively mild tune and not much (or anything) in the way of bolt-ons. The official Reliability Survey (which, yes, I will add to when appropriate) has convinced me that I'm not going to endanger my warranty. Props to @gtman for keeping it going and compiling/updating the data.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The official Reliability Survey (which, yes, I will add to when appropriate) has convinced me that I'm not going to endanger my warranty. Props to @gtman for keeping it going and compiling/updating the data.
It's a team effort. It started with a good idea from me, sure, but without you guys buying in and seeing how worthwhile the thread is, it wouldn't be what it's grown into.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Boost by gear is your friend. You can limit boost in the lower gears and/or have it ramp up in all gears to protect things a bit. Also, with the on the fly map switching, you can set up 3 different maps. Map 1 can be at near stock boost, Map 2 something moderate and Map 3 for those days you wanna really scoot.

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/quick_boost_by_gear_settings.htm

Then you have a variety of other settings like early spool and turbo responsiveness that you can dial back if you want.
Great, TY! ??

Also, I couldn’t find this info on Ktuner’s site: if I get the V1.2, and set Tune 1 to my preferences, do I have to keep the OBDII module plugged in all the time? Sounds like if I remove it, the car defaults to Tune 1.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Without it in your car, yes, it reverts to tune (map) 1. But if you set up map (tune) 1 as your primary, you're golden.

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I've had a ktuner sitting around for a few months now, but still too scared to do anything with it. I read at least a couple of posts here where people claim to have blown their engines on just a starter tune. That and the thought of having to empty my savings account for a new engine are enough to keep me from tuning for now. BUT when the car's paid off, that'll be a different story.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a ktuner sitting around for a few months now, but still too scared to do anything with it. I read at least a couple of posts here where people claim to have blown their engines on just a starter tune. That and the thought of having to empty my savings account for a new engine are enough to keep me from tuning for now. BUT when the car's paid off, that'll be a different story.
Do what you want but if you can show me a thread where in reality someone honestly wasn't abusing their car on a base tune leading up to a disaster let me know.

There are a lot of "I blew my motor driving thru a McDonald's" stories that turn into, "I never monitored anything, used anti-lag and always raced stoplight to stoplight".

Most failures are either from abuse, pushing power too high or in rare cases, a defective factory part. The average guy with nothing but a base tune is doing really well.

Last edited:

Aegis7

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic hatchback ext
Country flag
Not having access to high octane gas is keeping me out of the tuning world /sad
Sponsored