Tuning 2016 Civic 1.5T with CVT

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Never mind that this recall also has nothing to do with the CVT that will be unique to the 2016 turbo model.
Aside from the obvious fact that GenX isn't released yet, do you know if the 1.5T CVT will be different mechanically from the current CVT? Not trying to argue, but if you could provide the source from Honda that stated the 1.5T receives a different CVT that would be great for this discussion.

Even if Honda is adjusting the TCM's software to reduce internal pressures, it doesn't bode well that the CVT can not handle the own pressures it's hydraulic system is capable of generating. Traditionally, building an automatic actually required increasing line pressures, installing stronger clutch packs and a higher stall converter, but usually didn't require exchange of hardware/components. Take a design with weak links like this CVT, add a boosted higher torque motor to it and we'll just have to cross our fingers it doesn't blow up, considering a few of the previous CVT's failed on their own with the much weaker 1.8. Anyone ever going into business to build performance CVT's (if that EVER happens) will need to deal with the weak internals of the Honda CVT. In the case of the current CVT that would be the "drive pulley shaft".
Sponsored

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Aside from the obvious fact that GenX isn't released yet, do you know if the 1.5T CVT will be different mechanically from the current CVT? Not trying to argue, but if you could provide the source from Honda that stated the 1.5T receives a different CVT that would be great for this discussion.
It's right in the press release from the September debut.

"Civic Sedans in EX-T, EX-L trims and Touring trims will be powered by a 1.5-liter, direct-injected and turbocharged 16-valve DOHC inline-4, mated to a unique CVT, delivering a new level of responsiveness in this capacity class of turbocharged engine."

And mentioned back in April during the concept debut.

"...and a new, more sporty and efficient continuously variable transmission (CVT)"

JBD319

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I work for a Honda dealership, and also just picked up my 2016 Civic Touring. Absolutely love the car. Subjectively, I can tell you that the CVT in the turbo model behaves completely different from any Honda CVT. It simulates shifts like the WRX (albeit doesn't have paddles so it can't do it on command sadly), and instead of pegging the redline and falling flat like most CVT's it keeps the engine in the meat of the power band from 5k-6k rpm. Acceleration is much better than I had even hoped for.

Objectively, Honda has stated it is a unique CVT, as quoted above. In our dealership training they put out that it actually has the CVT out of the 4 cyl Accord which produces up to 189 hp. Mechanically it would make it a bit sturdier. I can say it does drive much sportier than a 4 cyl Accord with a CVT though. I just wish we got the paddle shift out of the Accord Sport!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Late to the party.. But I had a customer ask about us making a JB4 piggyback tuning system for the new 1.5l turbo model. Like we do for factory turbo BMWs, MINIs, etc. Anyway I'd be curious to poke around under the hood for a few min and check out the control scheme to see if its possible. If anyone with a 1.5l turbo lives around Simi Valley CA and has time to come by for an hour or so we can compensate you for your time.... :) [email protected]
I'm living in Thousand Oaks. Have a Touring with 1.5T.
A bit intrested in tuning. If I bring a car what are you going to check ? (I'm no so technical in cars).

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Why would anyone interested in high performance want a CVT in the first place? It's a trans for a commuter car, to get you from point A to point B. Which is fine,for most people.
But it's not a high performance transmission. And it doesn't sound like one. And it doesn't drive like one. Wait till next year when the turbo is available with a real trans,a six-speed stick.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Why would anyone interested in high performance want a CVT in the first place? It's a trans for a commuter car, to get you from point A to point B. Which is fine,for most people.
But it's not a high performance transmission. And it doesn't sound like one. And it doesn't drive like one. Wait till next year when the turbo is available with a real trans,a six-speed stick.
Allot of people won't want to trade in there 16 for a 17, you'll take a huge loss. CVT was the only option to go with this year. There are high performance cars out there with a CVT, not saying the one in the civic is built for power. But this one has shown some promise, came from the accord. Now if someone is going to buy one, and hasn't yet. Then yes definitely wait for the manual, if you intend to up the power a good amount.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
A bit curious....
I've uploaded video to measure acceleration 0-60 http://rowvid.com/?v=GXsMNrpkfQM
acceleration start at 93.5s and reach 58 mph at 100.9s and 62 mph at 101.5. Let's suppose 60mph is accurate between 100.9 and 101.5 => 101.2.
It means that according this video 0-60 with tuning took 7.7seconds. Not much at all. Correct me if I'm wrong.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
A bit curious....
I've uploaded video to measure acceleration 0-60 http://rowvid.com/?v=GXsMNrpkfQM
acceleration start at 93.5s and reach 58 mph at 100.9s and 62 mph at 101.5. Let's suppose 60mph is accurate between 100.9 and 101.5 => 101.2.
It means that according this video 0-60 with tuning took 7.7seconds. Not much at all. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've been hitting 6.8 seconds with my tune :)

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

Ronboworld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Coupe
Late to the party.. But I had a customer ask about us making a JB4 piggyback tuning system for the new 1.5l turbo model. Like we do for factory turbo BMWs, MINIs, etc. Anyway I'd be curious to poke around under the hood for a few min and check out the control scheme to see if its possible. If anyone with a 1.5l turbo lives around Simi Valley CA and has time to come by for an hour or so we can compensate you for your time.... :) [email protected]
I work in Moorpark. I have a 2016 1.5 turbo coupe you can check out....
[email protected]
Sponsored