Tunes and Tracks

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone actually tracked their car here with tunes before?

Had an opportunity to stress test my car at streets of willow back in June but I opted to run stock tune due to temperatures that day. (105F)

Trying to see who here has ran track days with their tunes, what mods they had, driving habits and their respective temperatures. (both weather and car)

I will be tracking the car again at streets of willow Nov 13th where hopefully the weather will be significantly cooler and thus grants me the opportunity to run TSP stage 1.
Sponsored

Last edited:

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good luck next month, sounds like it'll be prime conditions for you to PB!

I've got a bunch of autoX and track days on my R.

Here's latest run at Streets from yesterday. Have lots of cooling mods, and tuned on e25 at 24psi. No overheating issues.

Ran a 1:26:3xx and had a bit of traffic. Was on balding RE71R's so there's certainly more time.

- Koyo Radiator
- Acuity Reverse Flow hoses
- Varis rep vented hood
- PRL intercooler
- PRL front pipe
- PRL piping kit
- PRL Flex Fuel kit
- PRL Intake
- Remark Spec III Exhaust

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good luck next month, sounds like it'll be prime conditions for you to PB!

I've got a bunch of autoX and track days on my R.

Here's latest run at Streets from yesterday. Have lots of cooling mods, and tuned on e25 at 24psi. No overheating issues.

Ran a 1:26:3xx and had a bit of traffic. Was on balding RE71R's so there's certainly more time.

- Koyo Radiator
- Acuity Reverse Flow hoses
- Varis rep vented hood
- PRL intercooler
- PRL front pipe
- PRL piping kit
- PRL Flex Fuel kit
- PRL Intake
- Remark Spec III Exhaust

Thanks for your contribution. I'll be posting my findings this weekend when I'm done tracking on Friday.

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Streets of Willow 11/13/2020

Temps were high 50's up to the mid 60's for the day. I decided to run TSP Stage 1 tune (full power since there's no OTF switching with Hondata programmer). Unfortunately I did not datalog however I did keep glancing over to the headunit to check knock control percentages, ECT, and IAT's. Here were my findings:

Session 1:
Knock control: .55%
ECT: 200~ F
IAT Pre: 80~F
IAT Post: 70~F

Session 2:
Knock Control: .57%
ECT: 215-220~F
IAT Pre: 85~F
IAT Post: 80~F

Session 3:
Knock Control: .59%
ECT: 215~F
IAT Pre: 95~F
IAT Post: 90~F

I did not see my knock control exceed .60% at any point at all while tracking it. Total knock counts for the day were less than 10, between cylinders 2 and 3.

Fuel I decided to run: 91 chevron and 1.5 gallons of e85.

Overall the car didn't feel like it lost power throughout the day and handled perfectly fine power wise. I will say that after session 2, there was some very noticeable lifter tick noise when I rev'd it which my mechanic friend who raced his car that day too think's its due to the 0w-20 weight oil thinning out (noise went away after the car fully cooled off). Moving forward, anyone who is running the car frequently should probably go with a thicker oil regardless if they're tuned or not.

This was my second track day, I managed a 1:39, a 7 second improvement from July (1:46) running CCW.

Next on the list is investing in tires (running the OEM all season eagle sports), installing the Type-R rear swaybar, and maybe invest in camber bolts for the front and arms for the rear to add more track alignment. (I wish to keep the stock suspension and eventually upgrading to the HFP suspension when this one gives out).

Here's my video for my PB, and I know my lines still need some serious work, though it's a bit difficult to follow with these tires lol.

Open to pointers, also @gtman consider this a win for the tuned community as the car came out perfectly fine after the event running a full power TSP Stage 1 tune.

Last edited:

blackfc1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did about 8 track days in my si, a few of them in 90-100 degree weather. Never once had any overheating issues. The car did pull a lot of power when I was on the TSP1 map, though. Once I switched to flex fuel and TSP2, the power stayed consistent. I did however have to run map 1 on the track because the clutch would slip. My best time in the si at Streets is 1:30.

Mods on the si were:

Swift springs
Camber knuckles
Rear camber arms
18x9 wheels w/ 265 Nankang NS2R tires
FK8 rear sway bar
PRL cobra
PRL flex fuel kit
Ktuner w/ TSP2

The FK8 on the other hand is another story. I was struggling with overheating issues until I installed the C&R race radiator. Now all is gravy ?

Last edited:

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did about 8 track days in my si, a few of them in 90-100 degree weather. Never once had any overheating issues. The car did pull a lot of power when I was on the TSP1 map, though. Once I switched to flex fuel and TSP2, the power stayed consistent. I did however have to run map 1 on the track because the clutch would slip. My best time in the si at Streets is 1:30.

Mods on the si were:

Swift springs
Camber knuckles
Rear camber arms
18x9 wheels w/ 265 Nankang NS2R tires
FK8 rear sway bar
PRL cobra
PRL flex fuel kit
Ktuner w/ TSP2

The FK8 on the other hand is another story. I was struggling with overheating issues until I installed the C&R race radiator. Now all is gravy ?

Camber knuckles? Do tell. I quickly learned that stock alignment is not track friendly lol

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
@Syntek He probably meant adjustable lower ball joints. There are no camber bolts available for this platform because of the pinch bolt style knuckle that the front shocks sit in. Your only going to be able to adjust camber by pulling the locating pin from the top strut mounts, installing lower ball joints or spending a bunch of money on some camber plates.

Since it sounds like your build is similar to mine in that we are both keeping stock suspension. The max negative front camber you are going to be able to get is around -1.5 to -1.6 with the first two things i mentioned.

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Syntek He probably meant adjustable lower ball joints. There are no camber bolts available for this platform because of the pinch bolt style knuckle that the front shocks sit in. Your only going to be able to adjust camber by pulling the locating pin from the top strut mounts, installing lower ball joints or spending a bunch of money on some camber plates.

Since it sounds like your build is similar to mine in that we are both keeping stock suspension. The max negative front camber you are going to be able to get is around -1.5 to -1.6 with the first two things i mentioned.
Yeah, stock is the goal. I had promised myself that I would upgrade to the HFP suspension and maybe swift springs when this one finally gives out.

Do you know who makes the lower ball joints?

blackfc1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was able to run Chuckwalla full sessions with no overheating issues, temps were in the 70's.

Setup was the same as last time, except with new 71R tires set to 34psi, no rollover issues this time.

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was able to run Chuckwalla full sessions with no overheating issues, temps were in the 70's.

Setup was the same as last time, except with new 71R tires set to 34psi, no rollover issues this time.

What program are you using to overlay your temps, etc? Looks very clean.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What program are you using to overlay your temps, etc? Looks very clean.
Thanks. Using GoPro Hero 9 black 4k30 for video capture, AIM SOLO 2 DL for data capture, Dash Ware on PC to overlay ECU data.

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
Did you only use these only or did you also use the locator pins to make your adjustments?

Thanks
That is going to be with the pins pulled, lower ball joints set for max negative camber and also lowered on springs. With stock Si springs you will be lucky to get -1.5 with the same set up.

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks. Using GoPro Hero 9 black 4k30 for video capture, AIM SOLO 2 DL for data capture, Dash Ware on PC to overlay ECU data.

Very cool. Do you have your data capture connected to ODB2 port? Just curious how you have that logging while having the hondata headunit as well unless you have the capture hooked elsewhere.
Sponsored