Tuned Stock Turbo Full Potential - MAX

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
As far as the rods, it was recently discovered that the hatchbacks use different (weaker) rods than the sedans and coupes. In my tuning reliability thread, the majority of non-Si turbo engine failures have been hatchback models.
I think it was discovered a while ago. I remember reading a post on this forum from some time back and someone indicated the rods in the hatch are different and weaker than the other models.
Sponsored

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
As far as the rods, it was recently discovered that the hatchbacks use different (weaker) rods than the sedans and coupes. In my tuning reliability thread, the majority of non-Si turbo engine failures have been hatchback models.
It seems that the European Sedan shares the same weak rods as the hatch (don't forget the hatch was only ever produced in the UK)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Of course. We all knew every 10th gen hatch was produced at Swindon. I just don't understand why Honda would use weaker rods on European built 1.5 Civics. Boggles my mind.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Of course. We all knew every 10th gen hatch was produced at Swindon. I just don't understand why Honda would use weaker rods on European built 1.5 Civics. Boggles my mind.
EU has very strict especially on EPA stuffs ? hence more restriction to the car or mods & probably chances of having less mods or power upgrades = weaker rods & the car is not built as a "sports" car.

just a wild guess.

back to the title, max may not yield the best results less is more sometimes.

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Checked though Honda dealer and both hatchback and sedan use same rods. Same part number and everything so not sure how true it is. Could be wrong though. It would make sense that the extra weight between hatchback and sedan and possibly extra grip causing rods to damage?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Checked though Honda dealer and both hatchback and sedan use same rods. Same part number and everything so not sure how true it is. Could be wrong though. It would make sense that the extra weight between hatchback and sedan and possibly extra grip causing rods to damage?
We had a long discussion on this very topic a while back. I was skeptical myself that Honda would use weaker rods in the hatchbacks, but this was verified by Eman.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tuned Stock Turbo Full Potential - MAX Screenshot_20210403-212633

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The rods in the cvt hatchback are the weak ones no? I thought the non si manuals have different rods from the cvt
Nope. According to Eman who is pretty respected all the hatches use the lesser rods.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It seems that the European Sedan shares the same weak rods as the hatch (don't forget the hatch was only ever produced in the UK)
The part number of the rods of all EU sedan and hatches and even US hatches and sedans coupes are all the same.Only the SI and the accord 1.5T has the 5pa rods.

The only plausible explanation that i can think of this :
The civic's (or engines) that where made in the USA use whatever they have available in the USA.
Visa versa in Europe.The hatches where all made in europe and so where the sedans from europe.

They might have ran out of stock of 59b connecting rods( which i think are made in europe) and since the SI is a US only based vehicle they might have used 5pa rods in all other civics.

I don't know where all the engines are made ,and this might also have something to do with the Engine code and where the engines where assembled rather then "all hatches " .
I know in europe they have L15BA in the hatches and L15BB in the sedans.

You can allready see this in the difference in brakes they used.
USA uses akebono/ATE 282/260 , europe uses ATE/ATE 293/282mm.
SI uses Nissin/ATE 312/282mm

Last edited:

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had akebono pads my sport hatch. Gotta check where my engine was made. I’m curious now.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
My 2019 hatchback engine is assembled in Thailand. 2020+ engines are assembled in Japan.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2019 hatchback engine is assembled in Thailand. 2020+ engines are assembled in Japan.

Where did you find where the engine is assembled?And what is your engine code?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you find where the engine is assembled?And what is your engine code?
In the US at least, that information is on the car window sticker. For example, here's a Type R:

Honda Civic 10th gen Tuned Stock Turbo Full Potential - MAX CTR_sticker-red-IG-02

Last edited:

Ehtesham

First Name
Ehtesham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CiviC
Country flag
I want to keep the car as long as I could.
I think bringing the torque on lower RPMs causes wheel spin so there is no point in doing that unless you have slicks.

What is your opinion about it.
Sponsored