Tuned Hatch vs Si vs WRX

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
As you can see from Car and driver's lightning lap track events, the Si at #209 is faster than the WRX..in fact you can see multiple WRX's below the Si. The only WRX that was faster was the one with a performance pack which was only 3 seconds faster (not in the snapshot), every other non PP WRX will be slower than an Si on most tracks. The WRX is too heavy, not as sharp and direct as an Si, and will understeer more than an Si. Also once moving the extra horsepower that the WRX has over the Si doesnt really matter because of power to weight.
It's too bad the Type R made it's debut in NA the same year. The 10th gen Si is pretty amazing.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
As you can see from Car and driver's lightning lap track events, the Si at #209 is faster than the WRX..in fact you can see multiple WRX's below the Si. The only WRX that was faster was the one with a performance pack which was only 3 seconds faster (not in the snapshot), every other non PP WRX will be slower than an Si on most tracks. The WRX is too heavy, not as sharp and direct as an Si, and will understeer more than an Si. Also once moving the extra horsepower that the WRX has over the Si doesnt really matter because of power to weight.
I wonder how the 2020 WRX performance package with the Brembo brakes will perform compared to the 2019 with only an upgraded brake pads.

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
Depends on what you want out of your car. I like my Si but I probably should've just gotten a hatch, especially in Canada where the sport hatch is equipped pretty similarly to the Si. Also can't speak to the hatch but the Si is a bumpy drive if you live in place with crappy roads like I do. I'm probably gonna trade in for something a little more comfortable next year.

Zigfreid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I test drove a 2015 WRX (modded), then a 2020 Sport hatchback, then a 2018 Si sedan, and ended up buying a 2019 Si sedan.

In my opinion, there was enough difference in handling and power to go with the Si over the Sport, but I probably would have gone for the WRX if it wasnā€™t quite so... questionable. It had been heavily modified and then partially un-modified, but it was FAST and FUN. The clutch pedal was heavy, but I think they ā€œfixedā€ that in ā€˜18 and later models, and part of me still wishes I had pursued a different WRX. That said, the Si has been a great balance of fun and mpg, and will probably be more reliable in the long run as Iā€™ve heard about some issues with the 2.0L used in the WRX. Iā€™m hoping a tune and maybe some simple mods can get it at least partially to the point of feeling like that WRX I drove, but one day Iā€™m hoping to get a 2021 or later WRX because the rumors for it make it sound pretty darn good.
Sponsored