King Journey

First Name
Journey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX, 2003 Lancer
Country flag
I own a hatch but never driven anything with an LSD. Would love to follow up on this with si vs hatch owners. I have Ktuner 1.2 and TSP Stage 1 on and the hatch zips. Hatch as a daily is great due to the trunk space and I personally like the look better. Wish they made a hatch Si :(
Same here. If that was an option it would be no question half us hatch owners would buy lol.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Don’t forget the wrx are notorious for having lots of maintenance and are far more expensive to keep over the long run on general compared to the hondas
I’m curious what are they? I am looking at a WRX with a performance package.

OP
OP
King Journey

King Journey

First Name
Journey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don’t forget the wrx are notorious for having lots of maintenance and are far more expensive to keep over the long run on general compared to the hondas
Fr? I thought they're just bad if you mod em to crap... I planned on just doing a mild tune to get rid of rev hang, an intake and cosmetic mods

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Fr? I thought they're just bad if you mod em to crap... I planned on just doing a mild tune to get rid of rev hang, an intake and cosmetic mods
Those boxer engines are notorious for their head gaskets failing. It’s been an issue with Subies forever and the company hasn’t resolved it. Due to the orientation of the the engine the whole fucking thing has to come out and require a lot of labor and tools, making it really expensive to repair. This is why you see some many of WRXs for sale with between 90-120k miles.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Those boxer engines are notorious for their head gaskets failing. It’s been an issue with Subies forever and the company hasn’t resolved it. Due to the orientation of the the engine the whole fucking thing has to come out and require a lot of labor and tools, making it really expensive to repair. This is why you see some many of WRXs for sale with between 90-120k miles.
I know it’s a common issue with the EJ25 engines and less with the new FA DIT engines.

OP
OP
King Journey

King Journey

First Name
Journey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Welp that's scary gonna keep that in mind :oops:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I’m curious what are they? I am looking at a WRX with a performance package.
w/ AWD, there's just more to go wrong in general. center and rear diffs, plus rear axles. I'm not super familiar w/ the FA20DIT and anything in particular with regards to them that is of concern, besides the somewhat weak rods. The boxer engine can be a PITA to work on. I had an EJ205 and it was great, but definitely cramped when trying to get to certain things like plugs.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
HG issues were NEVER common on the turbo EJs, only the NA ones. Sure, if you go crazy on the boost you could eventually see issues, but it's disingenuous to say that turbo EJs in general have HG issues.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
w/ AWD, there's just more to go wrong in general. center and rear diffs, plus rear axles. I'm not super familiar w/ the FA20DIT and anything in particular with regards to them that is of concern, besides the somewhat weak rods. The boxer engine can be a PITA to work on. I had an EJ205 and it was great, but definitely cramped when trying to get to certain things like plugs.
That’s what I’ve read about the difficulty in changing a spark plug in a boxer engine because of its orientation.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
HG issues were NEVER common on the turbo EJs, only the NA ones. Sure, if you go crazy on the boost you could eventually see issues, but it's disingenuous to say that turbo EJs in general have HG issues.
Yeah, that’s an important distinction to make. From what I’ve seen with people it’s more or less people that go crazy on the tuning.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
That’s what I’ve read about the difficulty in changing a spark plug in a boxer engine because of its orientation.
It's not terrible, but in my '04 I had to remove the airbox and battery to get to the plugs. A bit time consuming, but not terrible. Now if you had to remove a stuck plug or something, good luck! Or replace the injectors... that was a few hour job full of swearing!

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw a video on this when I was looking into buying one and was so disappointed. Just changing the spark plugs looked like so much work.

Conor

First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Oh yes! My wife has an Outback. She needed new plugs last year and I was like "that's all me." I pulled up a Youtube video and thought "WTF, why is this video 10 minutes long just for plugs?" Then I remembered. Cause it's a boxer. Shit. Had a good Subie buddy of mine come to lend a hand. He had the right tools, and knew the right tricks, so it wasn't too bad. It's gonna be a bear if it's your first time though.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh yes! My wife has an Outback. She needed new plugs last year and I was like "that's all me." I pulled up a Youtube video and thought "WTF, why is this video 10 minutes long just for plugs?" Then I remembered. Cause it's a boxer. Shit. Had a good Subie buddy of mine come to lend a hand. He had the right tools, and knew the right tricks, so it wasn't too bad. It's gonna be a bear if it's your first time though.
Looks like I might just dump my idea of getting a WRX with performance package that I was really attracted to because of the Brembo front and rear brakes together with the Recaro seats.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
I have an si 2017 and my friend an hatch 2018 sport and we are bot on tsp stage 1 map 3 . A sport hatch tuned will ez beat an si stock and wrx . When we pull he is only like 1/2 car in behind me .
Sponsored

Last edited: