jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
So today I was bored and found myself at a couple red lights on an empty straight (flat) road so I decided to pull up the speed logic lite app I installed onto the headunit for a 0-60 time just to see how a tuned 2.0 motor performs. I was extremely surprised. On the first run the car was in S mode with the VSA on and it got me a time of 6.47 seconds to 60 with my foot to the floor. The second light I came across I decided to put it in "L" mode with VSA off and I got an even better time of 6.44 seconds according to the app.

The factors in play here include that the car was completely empty except for me and I was on a perfectly straight road, the app starts timing the 0-60 the moment the car starts moving and it uses the headunit's GPS connected to sattelites to make the timing as accurate as possible. This pretty much results in a pretty accurate 0-60 time. Considering the stock 0-60 of my car before it was tuned was around 8.1 seconds, this is a MASSIVE improvement over stock.

All I have on this car are an ECU tune, K&N filter, 18" ESR SR12 wheels wrapped in Riken raptor ultra high performance all season tires. This car is a CVT. This kinds of brings proof that the 2.0 engine which is hated on and often looked at as really inferior, is really woken up with a tune and actually makes this car decently quick for what it is. 2.0 owners are not really that active on here but curious what other 2.0 owners are getting on 0-60, especially if tuned.

Pics of the time:

Honda Civic 10th gen Tuned 2.0 0-60 times! civic 0-60 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Tuned 2.0 0-60 times! IMG-4786.JPG

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
That improvement is amazing. Dropping 1.5+ seconds 0-60 would take a big increase in hp and torque.

I get about a 1 second improvement with my Ktuner 21.5 psi tune on my turbo. Your 2.0 tune apparently increases power more than my tune which is quite a shock.

I think even JR himself will be surprised with this result. Just for accuracy, any way you'd consider taking it to the drag strip and posting a timeslip?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
That improvement is amazing. Dropping 1.5+ seconds 0-60 would take a huge increase in hp and torque.

I get about a 1 second improvement with my Ktuner 21.5 psi tune on my turbo. Hard to imagine your 2.0 tune increases power more than my tune.

I think even JR himself will be surprised with this result. Just for accuracy, any way you'd consider taking it to the drag strip and posting a timeslip?
Yeah, I know it looks really hard to believe because even I was surprised as hell at the result, but I completed the run 2-3 times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Only thing that could be wrong in this scenario is the app, but being that it starts counting the moment the car moves and I visually saw that it stopped counting the moment it hit 60, I feel like it's pretty accurate. Could be wrong though.

As far taking to the drag strip though, I've been planning on taking my BMW there since I tuned it so i'll see if I can bring my Civic along with me too just for fun. If I do end up running it, i'll definitely post it on here just to see.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I mean, a stock 2.0 CVT tests at around an 8+ second 0-60. A stock 1.5T has been tested at 6.6 seconds to 60.

My best improvement (tuned at 21.5 psi on 93 octane) is 1 second to 60. A nice little gain. But your 1.6 second improvement makes your car basically as quick to 60 as an Si. I could be wrong but I kind of feel like that app you're using isn't accurate.

Hopefully JR can chime in here.

Last edited:

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe it they detuned this engine massively to not compete with the higher trim levels. If there was a way to put a k24 head and cams on here it' would be like a 9thgen si

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Regardless of the 0-60 time, one thing is abundantly clear. @87elco is right, the K20C2 was neutered pretty heavily so that it didn't eat into 1.5 territory. When you're pushing the car into VTEC with the tune and the cam profile changes, the car sounds awesome and it's K-Series roots become clear.

But @gtman makes a good point, the amount of time chopped off is pretty significant for a naturally aspirated engine. But if you think about it, the 1.5 makes 174 horsepower stock and the 2.0 makes 158 horserpower stock which is a 16 HP difference. There's a guy on youtube with a 2.0 Civic that is making 170 WHP with a downpipe, intake, invidia N1 exhaust, and tune, which is about 200 to the crank with the 15% drivetrain loss. The tune provides most of the gains for the car with the downpipe at a second. So considering that, it's not completely unreasonable for the 2.0 to be making 1.5 horsepower when it's tuned. The only thing not accounted for is the large difference in torque, i'm not exactly sure how much torque (or horsepower) a tune adds to the 2.0. Hopefully @KTuner can chime in.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind Hondata dyno'ed the base 1.5T and found it was seriously underrated. They got more than 190hp/185tq stock on the dyno. And in terms of 0-60, torque is a big factor and turbo motors have gobs of it, the 2.0 not so much.

I also checked out some online forums regarding mobile based gps 0-60 apps and the consensus is they aren't accurate (something to do with a slow refresh rate).

Last edited:
OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Keep in mind Hondata dyno'ed the base 1.5T and found it was seriously underrated. They got more than 190hp stock. But in terms of 0-60 torque is a big factor and turbo motors have gobs of it, the 2.0 not so much.
190 HP or WHP? If WHP, that would mean the car is making around ~223 horsepower stock which is a huge difference from the 174. That's kind of insane for there to be that much disparity between what Honda reports and what the actual power is, especially in a non-performance sedan.

If the app is wrong though, it would have had to been drastically wrong because I visually saw it start to count when the car started moving, so the only explanation is that the timer would have stopped much before it hit 60. Tomorrow I might go out again with a friend and have him time it as well to see if the app is reading accurate.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Stock in yellow.
Honda Civic 10th gen Tuned 2.0 0-60 times! 17_civic_cvt_stock_87_oct_vs_91_octane_plus_6_ps

With your friend, just have him use an old fashioned stopwatch.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I've also read that GPS devices had a slow sampling rate, something like 1Hz or 10Hz. This would not make a big difference if just traveling down the highway at 60mph but could affect 0-60 times.

I just did a bunch of Googling and 1Hz seems to be the typical sampling rate for consumer GPS devices. If your car GPS only samples once per second, could the 0-60 time be off by a second?

Over the past few days I've been comparing the GPS accuracy of my Garmin GPS, a tablet & a smartphone and the best they could get was 3 meter accuracy or about 10 feet, which I understand is about the best any consumer GPS can get.

Maybe a combination of slow sampling rate & location accuracy could be providing inaccurate 0-60 time.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah makes sense. I'm just going to get one of those really cheap OBD sensors that work with apps and test the 0-60 from there. That's probably the most accurate way possible since the data is directly from the car itself.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I PM'ed JR regarding this and while he said it's "possible" it's the app, midrange gains with the tune are "HUGE" in his words.

To be honest this is great for you 2.0 guys but makes me wonder why my KTuner 21psi turbo tune doesn't come close (relatively speaking) to the 0-60 gains you got. Color me bummed.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Actually, the 2.0 doesn't suffer from any turbo lag, so 0-60 times/gains aren't really a great way to compare the two. If you're choosing to be bummed over that it's without good reasoning.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my reasoning...

The stock base 2.0 with CVT was tested by the pros at 8-8.5 seconds to 60. The OP is claiming he got 6.44.. nearly a 2 second gain.

The 1.5T CVT was tested to 60 at 6.6 seconds stock by multiple pro sources. My best time with your product was 5.7... a .9 second gain over stock. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice gain.

But, if jred's numbers are accurate, I'm shocked. On the other hand, I honestly don't think the numbers from the app he used were close to accurate.

The power gain needed for a car to improve nearly two seconds 0-60 are beyond huge. It would be good to hear from other's with tuned 2.0's to hear about their numbers.
Sponsored

Last edited: