Markovich56

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic hatchback
Country flag
Hi I’m new to this forum and I’ve seen many people get suggestions and educational input back into questions I had answers for as well a wide variety of Honda drivers I never have seen before. I currently have a 2018 EX-L hatchback that is straightpiped . I have just ordered PRL catless downpipes and have been thinking of getting a tune , to of course get more performance but to not worry about the CEL from the downpipe. Is the tune worth getting? Is it possible to bring back to stock with no issues as long as the car isn’t abused?
Sponsored

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don’t.
Even adding aftermarket parts isn’t a good idea.
It’s not your car.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Disagree, I think it's fine to tune as long as you know that obviously you won't get your money back for any mods once you return the car. All the lease states is that you need to return the car exactly as you got it, so just stick to reversible mods like the tune. If people can keep a car for 3 years, mod it, and then sell it, then I don't think it should be any different for a lease unless you're making permanent or hard to reverse mods. I have a tune on my leased car and I just revert back to stock when I bring it in for service, it's worked out well and there aren't really any downsides about it. As far as warranty goes, bolt-on mods generally are really safe and can't really harm your car unless the part is of bad quality or you're pushing too much power through the engine. Obviously there's still a risk, but it's one worth taking imo since the chances of anything going wrong are pretty low.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
Sure, it'll probably be fine but be ready for the consequences if something goes wrong... Not to mention that any time the car goes in for anything you'll be unbolting everything and returning to stock. IMO modding leased cars is a horrible idea, but to each his own. Like the guy above said, you're borrowing the car, it's not yours.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sure, it'll probably be fine but be ready for the consequences if something goes wrong... Not to mention that any time the car goes in for anything you'll be unbolting everything and returning to stock. IMO modding leased cars is a horrible idea, but to each his own. Like the guy above said, you're borrowing the car, it's not yours.
^ What he said.

OP, I'm tuned. I love it and it makes a huge difference. I also think the base tunes are safe.

But, there's a possibility that something could go wrong. On a car that's not yours, that's taking a bit of a risk.

jred ... I hear what you're saying about the ease of reverting to stock. You're 100% correct. Keep in mind though that your 2.0 tune is fairly basic with few available tweaks. With the turbo tunes, there's so much more to play with, creating the potential for more power and also more issues.

On the other hand, if the OP uses one of the less powerful tunes (like the base Stage 1), there should be minimal risk.
Sponsored

Last edited: