Si Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si 98 civic ek, 97 civic coupe
Country flag
From what Derek told me it’s better to have the kit plugged in to run the tune. You could but since you have to unplug the sensor on the radiator it could throw the readings off.
Sponsored

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Thank you for this information. I was wondering if just flashing the stage 2 tune while still running only 93 would make a difference because I've just kept the flash sitting in my email because i'm still waiting for all my ethanol pieces for the flex fuel conversion to come in. I just got the last thing I needed today , and that was the ktuner flex fuel converter. I didn't buy the plug and play kit, I'm making my own kit and will be installing it this weekend. With that being said I guess I will go ahead and flash the stage 2 tune now and run it until I actually put the e30-e40 req blend to take full advantage of of the tsp stage 2. :)
You MUST have the FlexFuel parts installed and working before flashing the TSP Stage 2 tune. Do NOT flash it before having those parts installed and working.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
You MUST have the FlexFuel parts installed and working before flashing the TSP Stage 2 tune. Do NOT flash it before having those parts installed and working.
Yikes already flashed and drive it for about 20 minutes. Thankfully didnt step on it though, just cruising. Should I be okay?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Yikes already flashed and drive it for about 20 minutes. Thankfully didnt step on it though, just cruising. Should I be okay?
If knock control stayed low. Yes. If knock control is staying high, even after flashing back and driving around. Not so much

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If knock control stayed low. Yes. If knock control is staying high, even after flashing back and driving around. Not so much
Knock control on stage 2 started just like any other map.. it started at .59 and made it's way down .49 and stayed there. When I flashed back to stage 1, same thing.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Knock control on stage 2 started just like any other map.. it started at .59 and made it's way down .49 and stayed there. When I flashed back to stage 1, same thing.
You're good then

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds good. The one thing I did notice on the stage 2 was that the ethanol content parameter on tunerview started off at 43% when I reflashed then made it way down and up several times. Like the parameter was all over the place. I take it because I dint have the ethanol content sensor installed yet.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
If it quacks like a duck.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds good. The one thing I did notice on the stage 2 was that the ethanol content parameter on tunerview started off at 43% when I reflashed then made it way down and up several times. Like the parameter was all over the place. I take it because I dint have the ethanol content sensor installed yet.
Based on this false reading... as I understand it, Ktuner wouldn't dynamically advancing and retarding timing based on an input that isnt indicative of actual ethanol content and the enhanced cooling/antiknock properties ethanol provides. As such, I would not be so confident in k.control's ability to provide protection and preventing knock without actually incurring it. I have read that knock on high ethanol fuel isn't as forgiving as knock on gas... I'll try and find a reference to provide and post it later in an edit. It's been awhile.

The basemaps with 23# if boost were making upwards of ~250 whp, introducing a +5 value across the higher end of the RPM range. @D-RobIMW does quite a bit more... likely with even more timing and boost. Certainly more timing than TSP Stage 1 which, unlike the stock tune or the basemaps, drops the Premium recommendation and calls it a requirement.

You already got a post from the tuner telling you not to do what you're doing. You're his customer and he has your best interests in mind. Just because it worked does not mean it's good for your car and it will continue to work in the future. I'd not be pulled into a false sense of security. Go back to Stage 1/basemaps until you have the proper hardware installed.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
This was a very dangerous situation. Your ECU was fooled into thinking you had 43% ethanol content, and would have applied the max boost, timing, and fuel adjustments. That + no ethanol could very easily lead to the end of your engine's usable life.

That is why the tune requires a flex fuel kit. Once the kit is installed, you can run 91/93 octane without issue, but the ethanol content sensor (and flex fuel converter) must be in place for the ECU to know what to do.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Based on this false reading... as I understand it, Ktuner wouldn't dynamically advancing and retarding timing based on an input that isnt indicative of actual ethanol content and the enhanced cooling/antiknock properties ethanol provides. As such, I would not be so confident in k.control's ability to provide protection and preventing knock without actually incurring it. I have read that knock on high ethanol fuel isn't as forgiving as knock on gas... I'll try and find a reference to provide and post it later in an edit. It's been awhile.

The basemaps with 23# if boost were making upwards of ~250 whp, introducing a +5 value across the higher end of the RPM range. @D-RobIMW does quite a bit more... likely with even more timing and boost. Certainly more timing than TSP Stage 1 which, unlike the stock tune or the basemaps, drops the Premium recommendation and calls it a requirement.

You already got a post from the tuner telling you not to do what you're doing. You're his customer and he has your best interests in mind. Just because it worked does not mean it's good for your car and it will continue to work in the future. I'd not be pulled into a false sense of security. Go back to Stage 1/basemaps until you have the proper hardware installed.
Ofcourse. When I read Dereks comment i immediately flashed back to the stage 1 tune. I never said I'm still running the stage 2 and/or saying it works and continuing to use it.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This was a very dangerous situation. Your ECU was fooled into thinking you had 43% ethanol content, and would have applied the max boost, timing, and fuel adjustments. That + no ethanol could very easily lead to the end of your engine's usable life.

That is why the tune requires a flex fuel kit. Once the kit is installed, you can run 91/93 octane without issue, but the ethanol content sensor (and flex fuel converter) must be in place for the ECU to know what to do.
Well considering the brief drive I did on the tune, I didnt step on the gas hard. Shouldn't I be okay since the tune didnt have to apply the max boost, timing, and fuel adjustments?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well considering the brief drive I did on the tune, I didnt step on the gas hard. Shouldn't I be okay since the tune didnt have to apply the max boost, timing, and fuel adjustments?
Just get the damn flex fuel kit. Otherwise just stay on stage 1 tune and not use stage 2 at all

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just get the damn flex fuel kit. Otherwise just stay on stage 1 tune and not use stage 2 at all
I guess some people dont read previous comments before mentioning one of there own. I have the kit, just got the last piece I needed yesterday and installing this weekend. I flashed the tune to see how it would run, seeing someone commented on this thread saying they ran the tune on 93 to try it out, my mistake was didnt know that person had the kit already installed. And in my favor, didnt run it hard because I was waiting for the knock levels to go down from .59 back to .49. After that I read Derek's comment and reflashed back to stage 1 immediately. I was on in it for approx 20 min driving from point A to B.
Sponsored