TSP Stage 1 Tune and CARB

schrisi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Si
Country flag
Will map 1 of the TSP stage 1 tune pass a CARB emissions test? I just noticed this requirement in order to register my car in PA:

If you are titling and registering a 2008 or newer vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 pounds or less, and it has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer, your vehicle must be certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
Maybe that doesn't imply that I'll need to actually have the car inspected, if the 2019 Si models are all certified when sold at the dealership?

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Sponsored

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Will map 1 of the TSP stage 1 tune pass a CARB emissions test? I just noticed this requirement in order to register my car in PA:

If you are titling and registering a 2008 or newer vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 pounds or less, and it has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer, your vehicle must be certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
Maybe that doesn't imply that I'll need to actually have the car inspected, if the 2019 Si models are all certified when sold at the dealership?

Anyone know?

Thanks!
AFAIK the SI is 50 state legal so they should all be CARB certified. Where did you buy your car? Isn't that requirement for registering an out of state vehicle?

OP
OP

schrisi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Si
Country flag
AFAIK the SI is 50 state legal so they should all be CARB certified. Where did you buy your car? Isn't that requirement for registering an out of state vehicle?
That's the same page where I got the excerpt about CARB. I bought the car in Texas in May, but am trying to get it registered in PA now.

It took a month and a half for the tag agency to get the title from the state of Texas. In the meantime, I installed the TSP stage 1 tune, so I'm wondering if I'll need to flash the ECU back to stack to complete the registration.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is nothing about the TSP Stage 1 tune in it's native state that would cause you to fail an emissions test of any kind. If you go in and start disabling O2 sensors you could have some trouble.

OP
OP

schrisi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Si
Country flag
There is nothing about the TSP Stage 1 tune in it's native state that would cause you to fail an emissions test of any kind. If you go in and start disabling O2 sensors you could have some trouble.
Thanks! I was under the impression it disabled rev hang, even on map 1, and that could cause problems with CARB compliance.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Thanks! I was under the impression it disabled rev hang, even on map 1, and that could cause problems with CARB compliance.
Yes, rev hang should not be disabled as this is part of emissions, and I believe rev hang is disabled by default in TSP's stage 1 tune. You should reflash, make sure Rev Hang disabled is not checked. Drive around for a few days before going in for the emissions test

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Glitch is 100% correct. As long as you're not showing any errors, you're fine for the test.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been told it depends on the testing equipment use in CA (which is slowly being updated across test stations).

This was a hot discussion a few years back on the Mazda boards. A guy who claimed to be a CA Smog Tech said that the test equipment looks for a specific firmware code in the ECU via the OBDII interface. He also claimed that CARB compliant software will have it (or an exemption code).

I'll see if I can find the discussion. But in the meantime, it might be worth your time to flash to stock firmware. Both KTuner and FlashPro Race aren't CARB compliant.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been told it depends on the testing equipment use in CA (which is slowly being updated across test stations).

This was a hot discussion a few years back on the Mazda boards. A guy who claimed to be a CA Smog Tech said that the test equipment looks for a specific firmware code in the ECU via the OBDII interface. He also claimed that CARB compliant software will have it (or an exemption code).

I'll see if I can find the discussion. But in the meantime, it might be worth your time to flash to stock firmware. Both KTuner and FlashPro Race aren't CARB compliant.
In Cali you'll fail any smog odb2 test if there's a tune on it. This is because you will most likely disable one of the required monitors. Don't risk it and just flash back to stock. Someone I know has the W1 turbo and flashed back to stock as well as put other oem parts on and passed smog with flying colors but has to be flashed back to stock.

OP
OP

schrisi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Si
Country flag
I just got back from the tag agency. Seems like the only CARB check that's going to happen is checking for a sticker under the hood.

I still need to do a Pennsylvania emissions test, but I think I've read around here that having a tune doesn't cause that test to fail.

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got back from the tag agency. Seems like the only CARB check that's going to happen is checking for a stick under the hood.

I still need to do a Pennsylvania emissions test, but I think I've read around here that having a tune doesn't cause that test to fail.
Ask PRL lol they would know

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Or just spend 5 minutes to flash to stock drive a few miles then after spend a whole 5 minutes again to flash back... IMO I just moved out of the emissions here in PA.