First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have been looking at the Ktuner for awhile and the cobra. I want more power as even SUVs & Trucks these days accelerate as quickly as the si does. Anyway, what to you all consider abuse? My commute involves some highway merging and so forth and most every day I floor it from from 2nd through the beginning of 4th. Most everyday I run through 2nd to 3rd but not to redline but to about 5.5 or so. Most weeks I'd say at least one drive through a curvy road and few round abouts where I am pushing it hard enough that I am at the traction limit with the stock tires. I mean, I bought this car to drive just like the ones before it. I just can't see the value if you have to "baby it" so to speak. That just doesn't make any sense in my world. I don't take issue with a tuner, intake, downpipe, but a $1k+ clutch is a no go for me. So, after all that, those with the tune, are you driving the car at it's limit somewhat regularly, or you just enjoy having an si and for most part, drive like a responsible person that could really just as well be driving a camry?
Driving it hard... allowing the revs to approach the upper RPM range then shifting and staying WOT isn't what's hard on the clutch. Sitting at highway speeds and giving the car enough throttle (and it doesn't take much) to reach high levels of boost is what's bad. Think about where your torque peak is... and that you're essentially demanding nearly peak torque on a high (small) gear. That counter torque is not going to do any favors to any clutch... but one that doesn't have outstanding holding power is just going to give up. I'm at about 15000 miles... probably half of them now on TSP Stage 1... and I think 10 months to the day (pretty sure I flashed on the end of this past July).

No clutch issues. I thrash my car... but I don't build high boost levels in high gears. I see no good reason to ever do it in 5th or 6th. The top of 3rd is over 80 MPH. 4th? 100+... and I just don't drive that fast. If you want to accelerate hard, you should be picking the proper gear IMO. If folks want to upgrade their clutch so they can not downshift and accelerate slower by chasing after a torque surge in 5th or 6th gear at highway speeds... well... it's their money. I won't say it's wrong because it's their car and they can use it as they please... but it's a slower way to go about doing it, will put more strain on the drivetrain and it's not a style of driving I've ever done on any of my previous cars and I see no reason to start on this one... when I know it's clutch is an Achilles heel if I allow it to be. I certainly will accelerate gently when I'm cruising on the highway/interstate in 6th... but I'm not going to give it enough throttle to build much boost at all.

Your style of driving doesn't strike me as one that will cause you an issue. I'll happily rev my car to near-redline... holding lower gears longer to accelerate as quickly as possible. IMO... I drive the piss out of the thing. I have zero plans on replacing the clutch... and I drive the same way I always have. I'm not going to change my driving style to hold the car in 6th all the time and refuse to downshift just because the tiny turbo spools early enough that the engine car produce enough power to move at an acceptable click without downshifting. It just seems like a terrible idea... as if your clutch holds... that counter force is still being transmitted back into the engine. My legs don't like trying to pedal my bike when it's barely moving in it's highest gear. I'm sure my rods wouldn't care for it either. That, in my opinion... is abuse.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I drive it like an old man mostly. Once in a while I stand on it. I shift into 6th at 40mph as a natural habit. I often have my kids and wife in the car. They remember and miss my 450whp EvoX, but I got tired of it. I wanted something quiet, good on gas, with easy maintenance, heated seats, LSD, turbo, android auto in a rootable headunit, but capable of spirited driving. The 10th gen civic is a good match. I bought Hondata right away based on reputation but later switched to ktuner. I should sell my Hondata. Probably list it on facebook marketplace eventually. I have given up on Hondata competing with ktuner on the 10th gen.

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Don’t worry about TSP stage 1 tune. It’s a very conservative tune. I have a conservative dyno tune at 279hp and 342tq. My car is running just fine.

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
I have a 15 wrx, not a civic. But unless you're having issues with the clutch, you might as well just keep it in there until it stops working. Im stage 2ish with 300hp/300tq and now have 45k miles on my stock clutch that everyone told me to replace.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Don’t worry about TSP stage 1 tune. It’s a very conservative tune. I have a conservative dyno tune at 279hp and 342tq. My car is running just fine.
279? Crimoney... Is that a shareable tune? I'm not sure how that part works... Anything else fancy you done with it?

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Haha
279? Crimoney... Is that a shareable tune? I'm not sure how that part works... Anything else fancy you done with it?
it’s a custom tune for all the parts I have on it. I’m full bolt ons with E85 tune. I could have made 300 hp easily but he kept it lower for reliability

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Haha

it’s a custom tune for all the parts I have on it. I’m full bolt ons with E85 tune. I could have made 300 hp easily but he kept it lower for reliability
Right on, I was figuring it had to be something like that. Well done!

lucaspessoa

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
MPGs for me still seem decent. Just did 42 mpg going 70 the whole way from Illinois to Wisconsin a couple weekends ago.

I've been on it for about 2k miles. No issues so far. I've got the PRL intake too. I don't really beat on mine much, maybe a few gear pulls here and there. When I got my tsp stage 1, I had them invert the tune so map 3 is my primary map.
How much hp are you doing right now?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Looks like the cars computer estimates conservatively, or maybe the variance is based on the fuel pumped. In any case, 505.2 miles on 11.406 gallons of fuel, an average of 44.29mpg by calculator or 43.5mpg by the cars "History of Trip A". TSP Stg1 Map 3, mostly normal, occasionally sport.

Either way, I'm in the range of what Car and Driver saw with the 2019 Honda Insight.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a22626154/2019-honda-insight-hybrid-civic-fuel-economy/

C/D FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 43 mpg
75-mph highway driving: 47 mpg
Highway range: 490 miles

Honda Civic 10th gen TSP stage 1 mileage 505.2miles44mpg-01

Honda Civic 10th gen TSP stage 1 mileage 505.2miles44mpg-02

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Micah to put this in perspective for others, do you do mostly long highway commutes?

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
I have the TSP Stage 1 tune Map3 for 18k and the clutch started to slip. Which i think is pretty normal when you hit 24psi on those weak clutch.

I swapped for an FX350 and it feel much more stronger now.

CrashTestJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
11k Miles on my 2018 SI Sedan
K-Tuner with TSP Stage 1 - setting 3
PRL Cobra Street intake
Conservative driving most of the time

Highway 70% of the time and I'm averaging 35 mpg combined. I get well over 40 mpg on longer trips.
After almost a year of driving this car and the more I drive it, the more I like it - that's saying a lot because I've been accused of having vehicle OCD. :)

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Micah to put this in perspective for others, do you do mostly long highway commutes?
95 miles per day. About 15 is local roads speed limit 25-50mph of hellish stop and go NJ shore traffic. The parkway is no easy drive from x88 to x127 at 7:30-8:30am, and the way back is worse at 5:30-6:30pm. I just brake very little and cruise at 55-75 as traffic allows. Typicially I run into dead stop traffic on the parkway at least three times a week, sometimes double that. Avoiding sustained periods of boost, even light boost rewards with high mpg. When boost is needed, downshift and punch it for only as long as needed then get back into 6th. The engine cruises just fine between 1.5-2k rpms with a light touch and doesn't lug at all even on slight inclines. Otherwise, downshift.

Reactions: mjh

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the TSP Stage 1 tune Map3 for 18k and the clutch started to slip. Which i think is pretty normal when you hit 24psi on those weak clutch.

I swapped for an FX350 and it feel much more stronger now.
Over 30k miles on my 17 Si, seeing 24 psi daily. Clutch is fine. Tires are fine. Brakes are about 30% left on the pads. My car gets driven plenty, but not beaten by any means. I rarely see boost in 4th gear or above. 3rd tops out plenty capable of a speeding ticket.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
When you guys talk these mpg numbers, this is the display mpg not actually calculated?

Or is it actual calculated? How many of you fill up and reset odometer, drive to next fill up and then record how many gallons and mileage to calculate actual mpg?
Sponsored