TSP Stage 1 & 27WON Turbo with no bolt ons?

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I've had my car 3.5 months now and, since we are stuck quarantined together, found myself reading up on mods here on the forum all this past weekend! I've ended up almost car I've owned in the past even after I swore I wouldn't so I imagine this one will be no different. Two months ago I replaced the crappy OEM all season tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and have ordered/am ordering some various chassis/suspension bracing. For "go fast" I'm almost certainly going to do the KTuner with TSP Tune and the 27WON Intercooler with piping. The relative affordability (I come from the BMW world so all mods they are heavily taxed with the BMW Mod Tax) of the 27WON turbo has peaked my interest as one of the limitations of the OEM turbo is it seems to run out of breath on the top end, especially when tuned. I *know* a down pipe or front pipe would help to get the most out of the 27WON turbo, but every sound clip I've heard of them is WAY too loud for me personally and that's not something I'm willing to compromise on.

So my question is, has anyone upgraded to the 27WON (or another brand) turbo yet kept their stock exhaust system intact? Like I said, I have zero interest in a loud car as this is my daily driver. Thanks!
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had my car 3.5 months now and, since we are stuck quarantined together, found myself reading up on mods here on the forum all this past weekend! I've ended up almost car I've owned in the past even after I swore I wouldn't so I imagine this one will be no different. Two months ago I replaced the crappy OEM all season tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and have ordered/am ordering some various chassis/suspension bracing. For "go fast" I'm almost certainly going to do the KTuner with TSP Tune and the 27WON Intercooler with piping. The relative affordability (I come from the BMW world so all mods they are heavily taxed with the BMW Mod Tax) of the 27WON turbo has peaked my interest as one of the limitations of the OEM turbo is it seems to run out of breath on the top end, especially when tuned. I *know* a down pipe or front pipe would help to get the most out of the 27WON turbo, but every sound clip I've heard of them is WAY too loud for me personally and that's not something I'm willing to compromise on.

So my question is, has anyone upgraded to the 27WON (or another brand) turbo yet kept their stock exhaust system intact? Like I said, I have zero interest in a loud car as this is my daily driver. Thanks!
Well you will not be able to run the W1 turbo with TSP Stage 1 tune. Stock Exhaust system after the frontpipe has no restrictions so you'll be fine if you don't upgrade the exhaust portion.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! I imagine the W1 Turbo will require a custom tune?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! I imagine the W1 Turbo will require a custom tune?
They have basemaps for it on Ktuner provided already. I would recommend custom tuning though to fully utilize it.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! Sounds exactly like the upgrade that would fit what I'm trying to do!

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
This is literally my current setup, I just had the 27won turbo and ctr clutch retrofit installed at the beginning of the year in addition to my existing prl intake and intercooler. Car’s been e-tuned by drob and is close to the final calibration. Drives great, definitely a lot more power up on the top end. You can probably get an extra 10~15hp with the dp, but I’ve been pretty happy even without it. It’s my DD, and will eventually have to deal with smog so figured I’d leave the cat alone. Also, I’d think a flex fuel kit would net more hp for the same price if you have access to e85.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is literally my current setup, I just had the 27won turbo and ctr clutch retrofit installed at the beginning of the year in addition to my existing prl intake and intercooler. Car’s been e-tuned by drob and is close to the final calibration. Drives great, definitely a lot more power up on the top end. You can probably get an extra 10~15hp with the dp, but I’ve been pretty happy even without it. It’s my DD, and will eventually have to deal with smog so figured I’d leave the cat alone. Also, I’d think a flex fuel kit would net more hp for the same price if you have access to e85.
Perfect! Thanks for replying! Have you had a chance to dyno yet after being e-tuned?

A few questions if I can pick your brain:

1) I know labor costs vary, but with this being marketed as PnP, how much did you pay to have it installed?

2) I'm also looking at the CTR clutch upgrade probably sooner rather than later after having this done, can you tell me how you sourced the parts and what the cost was? From my reading, it seemed a while back you had to try to personally reach out to a certain forum member and he wasn't always super quick to reply.

Thanks again!

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Perfect! Thanks for replying! Have you had a chance to dyno yet after being e-tuned?

1) I know labor costs vary, but with this being marketed as PnP, how much did you pay to have it installed?

2) I'm also looking at the CTR clutch upgrade probably sooner rather than later after having this done, can you tell me how you sourced the parts and what the cost was? From my reading, it seemed a while back you had to try to personally reach out to a certain forum member and he wasn't always super quick to reply.

Thanks again!
He has a website now to order.

https://www.naperformanceftw.com/ctr-clutch-retro/10thgen-si-hatchback-clutch-and-flywheel-kit

EDIT
PS It is my favorite mod.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag

Thanks again!
I haven't gotten a chance to dyno it yet. I asked Derek for a rough guess, but I'm sure he hates getting questions like that since I didn't get an answer lol. I may or may not end up dyno-ing, but I don't know if it would matter much since I didn't do a baseline run before I got everything installed.

I ended up reaching out to E-man directly through instagram to get the clutch kit, flywheel, and CMC. I ended up driving down there (SF -> LA) for the install and he did everything all together for a very good price. As @10GenPearlSi mentioned, he now has a website up where you can order directly or you can order from Derek at imwtuned w/ a tune and ktuner. Based on local prices, i was expecting to pay at least $1k for the install but I'm not sure the going rate for shops near you in GA. One of my turbo bolts came without threads so it took some extra time to find a replacement, but all in all I think the total install time was like 12-14 hours or so.

Also agree with @10GenPearlSi, I've barely noticed a difference with the feel of the clutch but it's holding like a champ! Probably one of the best clutch upgrades you can do!

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think this is my plan:

1) *PRL Cobra CAI (listened to some sound clips and it is at the threshold of what I would like) $400
*27WON Intercooler and Charge Pipe $900
*KTuner w/ TSP Stage 1 $650

2) *CTR Retro Clutch/Flywheel/Cylinder $1500
*Labor $500-$1000

3) *27WON W1 Turbo $1500
*Labor ?
*E-Tune via Derek $400

nekrawulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I was also concerned about loudness. 27won catted downpipe and front pipe added a little character when paired with stock muffler and resonators, but it still quite subdued. Also looking to add the W1 but gotta upgrade the clutch first

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I think this is my plan:

1) *PRL Cobra CAI (listened to some sound clips and it is at the threshold of what I would like) $400
*27WON Intercooler and Charge Pipe $900
*KTuner w/ TSP Stage 1 $650

2) *CTR Retro Clutch/Flywheel/Cylinder $1500
*Labor $500-$1000

3) *27WON W1 Turbo $1500
*Labor ?
*E-Tune via Derek $400
CAI was one of my favorite mods - the swoosh sound you get is intoxicating. If you didn’t want to wait and get it a bit cheaper, prl’s intercooler and charge pipes are like $870 with tax and shipping (just installed this past weekend).
And to save a few more bucks you could always go KTuner v1.2 and order it from two step performance and they provide the tsp stage 1 tune for free for $450.
Sponsored