Trying to avoid an accident + took a chunk out OEM conti (pics)

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Was trying to avoid an accident/ by someone coming in to me on the left as soon as I turned the wheel the right side hit the curb. curbed my whole front wheel and a chunk off of the OEM Contis came out :confused:

I do have the rim and tire protection I purchased from Honda, will this cover it?

also is it safe to drive on this?
Thanks

Honda Civic 10th gen Trying to avoid an accident + took a chunk out OEM conti (pics) B5853E48-C56C-40CF-92E1-59E34D57A99A

Honda Civic 10th gen Trying to avoid an accident + took a chunk out OEM conti (pics) 92DB3335-B41C-4877-827B-848E8869E1D5

Honda Civic 10th gen Trying to avoid an accident + took a chunk out OEM conti (pics) 91EC2310-384F-4C75-96ED-C8DFD647804C

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I'd say that tire is toast, sadly. There isn't much meat on these things, though to be fair not many tires would survive that sort of thing I guess.

I just had to buy one to replace one that took a three inch screw through the tread, so deep it scratched thee sidewall a bit too because of the shallow space between wheel and tread. $328 shipped from Tire Rack, ouch.

As to the tire protection, I bought the wheel insurance thing which was actually run by Allstate, but I don't know about the tire coverage.

SkipToMyLou

First Name
Milby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Bruh, what “sidetracked” you that bad, your tire looks like Sloth thought it was a BabyRuth bar ?

Were you rubber-neckin’ a piece of booty?

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
Read the fine print on your policy. I have tire and wheel policy also and it says does not cover damage from curbing. Road hazard "yes", hitting curb "no". YMMV

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
depending on the state, normal auto insurance might cover the damage.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Hopefully there is no suspension damage. Have you inspected the suspension and driven the car? I assume the tire is holding air. I would avoid driving with that tire but if I had to, I would swap it to the rear.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get a set (4) of used OEM wheels with tires for 800-900. Keep two and part out the rest. Don’t buy from dealer and pay full price (if insurance doesn’t cover).

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I would guess "curbing" is not covered since that is probably the single most common damage found on the average vehicle along with door dings during normal use. I realize your situation was a bit different and you were avoiding a more serious accident, but I'd be surprised if they saw it the same way. I personally would not drive on that tire, especially if you like to drive 'spiritedly'. Good luck with everything!

Ajk42189

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic type R
Country flag
If you have tire and rim protection, that will all be covered! Bring it to the dealership you purchased the car from and tell them you hit a pothole. That happened to me a while back. Well, I actually hit a diesel pothole and a chunk was taken out of my wheel and my rim was all messed up. Honda fixed the rim and threw on a new tire.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Perfect excuse to downsize to 18's

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
With a chunk that big out of the sidewall I wouldn't drive on the tire unless I was limping it somewhere to get it replaced..

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I was driving with a chunk much bigger than that missing for a while (it was on the inside). Replaced the tire once I discovered it. You should get it replaced ASAP. YMMV.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
No way that tire is safe to drive on lmao.

The OEM's pop if you look at them wrong. Your basically missing half a tire lol

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
As far as safe to drive on, I don't see chords showing so it might be fine to drive on it. Though that is a mighty big chunk missing which has me wanting to be more cautious.

For your warranty question, they'll likely replace the tire. The rim on the other hand depends on the wording of the warranty itself. If it's specifically only against mechanical defects, then they'll likely not replace the rim unless it's bent. A lot of warranties don't cover cosmetic damage. You can probably get that rim refinished though (maybe a couple hundred bucks, don't quote me on that though).

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I have the same tire and wheel warranty from Honda Canada. 7 years coverage for tire and road hazard. Limit of coverage is $5000 and curb damage deductible is $50.

However it does state damages by collision are not considered. If you collided with a curb it won’t apply.

A road hazard is defined as a pothole,crack, nail, and/or glass. A defect that should not exist on the road.
Sponsored