Trunk torsion bar broke

bFarish87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Got in the car after closing my trunk, and heard a crazy loud noise. I thought something hit my car until I got to my destination and went to open the trunk and noticed it was very heavy. Basically the spring that holds it up slightly and makes it very light broke. Upon further inspection, found out that part #14 on this chart broke.

https://www.hondasuperstoreparts.co...er=74872TBAA00&vehicleid=472088&siteid=215357

I have looked online and haven't found a video or anything on how to replace this. Didn't want to go in blind if I didn't have to. Anyone else have this problem or know how to replace the bar only? Be careful with your trunk because that thing is actually kind of heavy with no torsion bar holding it up.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Got to the dealer, see it could be fix on warranty . A torsion bar may break by itself but I never see that or heard about.

Manufacturing defect for sure.

OP
OP

bFarish87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Took it to the dealer after trying a few other repair shops (that couldn't find the part within a day) and paid $93 to get it fixed. Be nice to your trunk!

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
This just happened to me, and I'm past the warranty, or is there not mileage restriction on these? I have yet to call the dealer.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just an fyi,but if you look at the install instructions for the wing spoiler, they show you how to remove and install those springs,cause you need stronger ones to hold up the extra weight with the spoiler on.

brothaMan84

I Trance
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Coupe LX-P (Totaled, RIP =[ ) 17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any updates on this? Literally just happened to me by just closing my trunk normally smh...

OP
OP

bFarish87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yeah after taking it to the dealer, it broke again like 8 months later. (I open and close my trunk close to 30 times a day for work) and I ordered the part online for ~$12 or whatever and installed it myself. Sucks to have to do, but easy enough to source the part and put it in yourself with some elbow grease.

OP
OP

bFarish87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Update: It broke again for the third time in 5 years.

S&mcivic2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe ex t
Country flag
@bFarish87 this just happened to me this morning. You wouldnt happen to know the part number would you? Tried clicking the link up near the top but the site no longer has the diagram. Any help would be greatly appreciated!