Trunk release from the outside

Mossy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic coupe 2017
Country flag
I put my keys inside the trunk while getting some things out of if while in college and when I finished I forgot I had them there and well I closed the trunk. I know there's a manual release inside the car but the doors are locked. I have searched and found nothing about an exterior trunk release. BTW I have a LX coupe so no smart key for me.

It is possible to open the trunk from the outside?
Sponsored

geezerr54

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan, 01 Tacoma, 99 4Runner
Country flag
I put my keys inside the trunk while getting some things out of if while in college and when I finished I forgot I had them there and well I closed the trunk. I know there's a manual release inside the car but the doors are locked. I have searched and found nothing about an exterior trunk release. BTW I have a LX coupe so no smart key for me.

I believe that if you look above the rear seat (one side or the other) there is a plastic removable cover. Under is some kind of pull release that will open the trunk. I never looked myself but I saw this info on a vid somewhere. Maybe someone else here can verify.

OP
OP
Mossy

Mossy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic coupe 2017
Country flag
I believe that if you look above the rear seat (one side or the other) there is a plastic removable cover. Under is some kind of pull release that will open the trunk. I never looked myself but I saw this info on a vid somewhere. Maybe someone else here can verify.
Yeah I know searched and saw there's a tab on the top of the rear seats that lets you open the trunk in case the button doesn't work but I only opened the trunk and not the car so its locked. I already called so someone could bring me the spare key to open the trunk, at least I'm not stuck somewhere too far.

I just wanted to check if there was some way to open the trunk from the outside without the need to call for help but now I know :doh:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

No !

I try to have the good habit to put my keys only in my pocket every time when I don't used them . Never on the seat or the dash or the trunk.
With time it becomes a natural reflex without having to think about it.

I wish to have a third key hidden somewhere outside the car. I can't find where I can hidden one

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I wish to have a third key hidden somewhere outside the car. I can't find where I can hidden one
I used to have one of those magnetic key boxes, -- actually had to use it once, and that was the best feeling of relief and accomplishment ever. :)

(Not needing it anymore, with the Si's keyless entry...)

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I used to have one of those magnetic key boxes, -- actually had to use it once, and that was the best feeling of relief and accomplishment ever. :)

(Not needing it anymore, with the Si's keyless entry...)

I don't trust magnetic key box, am I wrong ?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I don't trust magnetic key box, am I wrong ?
Everyone's got their own "trust issues"... :) And it's certainly not my place to say if you're wrong there. I just know that I've used it for many years and haven't had any issues -- but, of course one is taking some (negligible IMO) risk when going that route.
Was just making a suggestion in case the OP hadn't considered it.

OP
OP
Mossy

Mossy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic coupe 2017
Country flag
I have never hear of magnetic key boxes but after checking them out I'll be worried with the amount of holes and bumpy the roads over here. To me it looks like is going to fell off on a really good one.

If they are so big and deep for this to happen, I'm not sure if a magnet could withstand some sudden bumps and holes that could appear out of nowhere.

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk release from the outside hole

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have never hear of magnetic key boxes but after checking them out I'll be worried with the amount of holes and bumpy the roads over here. To me it looks like is going to fell off on a really good one.

If they are so big and deep for this to happen, I'm not sure if a magnet could withstand some sudden bumps and holes that could appear out of nowhere.

hole.jpg

I agree with you .

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I had mine laying on top of a metal strip/surface (one of the horizontal parts of the frame), so the magnet was working with the gravity, not against it. FWIW
Sponsored