Trunk rattle noise

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
Update: That did not fix the rattle noise. I also tried the fix related to the seat release levers and that did not work. The only other thing left would be what someone posted about something inside the rear fender where the brake light meets the body molding. Someone posted a screenshot of a work order from a dealership that showed they heard the noise and fixed it.
please try this...where the two panels meet (rear qtr and bumper joint) spray a bit of lubricant in there and watch the squeak go away.
Sponsored

trjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
please try this...where the two panels meet (rear qtr and bumper joint) spray a bit of lubricant in there and watch the squeak go away.
Do you mean exterior on the car or interior inside the trunk? If inside the trunk and you snap a picture on what you mean? Thank you so much!!!

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
Do you mean exterior on the car or interior inside the trunk? If inside the trunk and you snap a picture on what you mean? Thank you so much!!!
exterior side....

sdfdsfsd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Sedan
I agree with the dealer description that was posted and with airgas1998 that the recorded noise is coming from where the right taillight, quarter panel and bumper meet. On my car I could reproduce this noise by tapping on the bumper at the bottom (the side that faces the ground), directly below that intersection; doing that I could hear both the tap noise and the second noise coming from that intersection [if there are rocks in your bumper you might also hear a third noise from there]. It actually seemed to solve my problem just to put a credit card or piece of thick paper in between the quarter panel and the bumper; but of course permanently that does not look good. So I took off the rear taillight and stuffed a bit of foam in there where that intersection is (some has to go in between quarter panel and bumper, not just between rear taillight and quarter panel/bumper). So far noise has not come back (was couple weeks ago).

Last edited:

trjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I agree with the dealer description that was posted and with airgas1998 that the recorded noise is coming from where the right taillight, quarter panel and bumper meet. On my car I could reproduce this noise by tapping on the bumper at the bottom (the side that faces the ground), directly below that intersection; doing that I could hear both the tap noise and the second noise coming from that intersection [if there are rocks in your bumper you might also hear a third noise from there]. It actually seemed to solve my problem just to put a credit card or piece of thick paper in between the quarter panel and the bumper; but of course permanently that does not look good. So I took off the rear taillight and stuffed a bit of foam in there where that intersection is (some has to go in between quarter panel and bumper, not just between rear taillight and quarter panel/bumper). So far noise has not come back (was couple weeks ago).
Put some lithium grease in the areas as directed by airgas1998 and the noise is gone. Good idea from you too.

jannapureddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT
If you dont mind upload the pic of the place where you have applyed foam? even i have same issue it will help me alot. thank you

sdfdsfsd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Sedan
Not my actual car but the top arrow (or rather circle it points to) shows where I applied the foam. Note that I had to do it a couple of times (and take off the tail light to really get it in there, in that small gap between the bumper the rear quarter panel). So you may want to try the lithium grease solution (applied to same area and where the parallel lines are) suggested above first.

If you notice the bottom arrow, tap with your hand there. If you hear two different sounds (one from your tap, and one unexpected sound coming from the area of the top arrow), then this is probably your problem. When you put foam or add lithium grease that second sound should go away. You can actually stick a small business card or something where those two parallel lines are and tap, and you should only hear the sound of your hand.. it just doesn't look very good.

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk rattle noise GGtcqLI

OP
OP

Mdkumar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Country flag
Not my actual car but the top arrow (or rather circle it points to) shows where I applied the foam. Note that I had to do it a couple of times (and take off the tail light to really get it in there, in that small gap between the bumper the rear quarter panel). So you may want to try the lithium grease solution (applied to same area and where the parallel lines are) suggested above first.

If you notice the bottom arrow, tap with your hand there. If you hear two different sounds (one from your tap, and one unexpected sound coming from the area of the top arrow), then this is probably your problem. When you put foam or add lithium grease that second sound should go away. You can actually stick a small business card or something where those two parallel lines are and tap, and you should only hear the sound of your hand.. it just doesn't look very good.

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk rattle noise GGtcqLI
applied some lithium grease into the parallel line , could not hear the noise for past 2 weeks. will report back here if it comes back.

Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I think I've been experiencing the same issue (for months). It comes and goes, sometimes louder than others, but is always extremely annoying. After figuring out where the noise was coming from, on the advice of a guy on YouTube who said that his dealer just took a rubber hammer to the area and gave it a few good whacks, I have tried the same thing several times which seems to have worked occasionally... only for the noise to return.

The noise:

Stopping the noise while pressing on the panels from inside the trunk:

So, the dealer has had it for two days now. Apparently the tech is going to try to spot weld the panels. I think I'm also going to let them know about the grease/felt/foam solution mentioned here, so thanks. For those of you who have done the fix yourself with lithium grease, did you use the spray or tube grease, and can it be done without removing the taillight and/or bumper? This may be a dumb question but can/will it do any harm to the paint in the area between the panels, or anywhere else if it was to get on the bumper, for instance? Do you think foam or felt would be more long-lasting? I just want to know what to ask for from the dealer, and don't need them messing anything up and making anything worse than it already is.

Lwabirds

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe touring
I think I've been experiencing the same issue (for months). It comes and goes, sometimes louder than others, but is always extremely annoying. After figuring out where the noise was coming from, on the advice of a guy on YouTube who said that his dealer just took a rubber hammer to the area and gave it a few good whacks, I have tried the same thing several times which seems to have worked occasionally... only for the noise to return.

The noise:

Stopping the noise while pressing on the panels from inside the trunk:

So, the dealer has had it for two days now. Apparently the tech is going to try to spot weld the panels. I think I'm also going to let them know about the grease/felt/foam solution mentioned here, so thanks. For those of you who have done the fix yourself with lithium grease, did you use the spray or tube grease, and can it be done without removing the taillight and/or bumper? This may be a dumb question but can/will it do any harm to the paint in the area between the panels, or anywhere else if it was to get on the bumper, for instance? Do you think foam or felt would be more long-lasting? I just want to know what to ask for from the dealer, and don't need them messing anything up and making anything worse than it already is.
I have the same noise in the same spot on the drivers side. Did you get your fixed? I originally thought it was coming from the dome light on my ‘17 touring coupe but had my dad drive my car while I sat in the back seat and heard it coming from the trunk. I folded the seat down and could pin point it. It’s driving me insane.

Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I have the same noise in the same spot on the drivers side. Did you get your fixed? I originally thought it was coming from the dome light on my ‘17 touring coupe but had my dad drive my car while I sat in the back seat and heard it coming from the trunk. I folded the seat down and could pin point it. It’s driving me insane.
I did, thankfully, because it was driving me crazy for the longest time too. So my first solution was to use a rubber mallet to hit the areas that, when pressed on, caused the noise to stop. That would work temporarily but it would always come back. I mentioned my "solution" to the dealer who I suspect tried the same thing. After getting the car back after 3 days at the dealership, the noise was rearing its ugly head as soon as I drove away. They were no help. Also, I later noticed small dents protruding outwards on the rear quarter panel near where the noise had been coming from. I had to pay to have them taken out even though I suspect that the dealer caused them. Lesson learned: DO NOT use the rubber mallet method, and certainly don't mention that idea to the dealership. ;)

I used a solution previously mentioned involving lithium grease. I bought some WD-40 spray white lithium grease from Walmart.

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk rattle noise upload_2017-11-6_19-49-53

Then, I removed the right tail light (following instructions in a YouTube video -- it's easy), masked off the edges of the quarter panel and bumper, and sprayed the lithium grease down in the space between the quarter panel and bumper. I did one quick spray all the way down the space and the noise was gone when I took it for a drive... it has yet to return a few months later. Hopefully that helps.

Lwabirds

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe touring
I did, thankfully, because it was driving me crazy for the longest time too. So my first solution was to use a rubber mallet to hit the areas that, when pressed on, caused the noise to stop. That would work temporarily but it would always come back. I mentioned my "solution" to the dealer who I suspect tried the same thing. After getting the car back after 3 days at the dealership, the noise was rearing its ugly head as soon as I drove away. They were no help. Also, I later noticed small dents protruding outwards on the rear quarter panel near where the noise had been coming from. I had to pay to have them taken out even though I suspect that the dealer caused them. Lesson learned: DO NOT use the rubber mallet method, and certainly don't mention that idea to the dealership. ;)

I used a solution previously mentioned involving lithium grease. I bought some WD-40 spray white lithium grease from Walmart.

upload_2017-11-6_19-49-53.jpeg

Then, I removed the right tail light (following instructions in a YouTube video -- it's easy), masked off the edges of the quarter panel and bumper, and sprayed the lithium grease down in the space between the quarter panel and bumper. I did one quick spray all the way down the space and the noise was gone when I took it for a drive... it has yet to return a few months later. Hopefully that helps.
Did you spray the lithium grease on the outside of the bumper along the seam or did you spray it in the seam from the inside once you removed the tail light?
Sponsored