Trunk rattle noise

Tennvol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Not the lever itself. It's the plastic to metal surface where it attaches to the car. Remove the trunk release "plastic square" from its mounting hole in the trunk and put tape or the like around the edge of thr hole on the trunk and then reattach the trunk lever assembly and mount (it's a clip to slide to get it to lock)
Sponsored

rhraziel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Not the lever itself. It's the plastic to metal surface where it attaches to the car. Remove the trunk release "plastic square" from its mounting hole in the trunk and put tape or the like around the edge of thr hole on the trunk and then reattach the trunk lever assembly and mount (it's a clip to slide to get it to lock)
Can you take a picture of this?

glklvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Have the same problem on my EX- the exact same noise as the original video. But I *DO* know where the noise is coming from. I was able to park the car with it in idle and check out the exterior.

It was obvious that the noise was coming from the rear bumper. I would put my hand on the right rear bumper and it would immediately stop. Take my hand away and it would start again. FYI, its not a rattle, its more of a squeaking. I guess when you're inside the car you don't hear the high pitch squeaking. I'm guessing its the rear bumper rubbing against another panel or part.

I've also noticed that it happens when the bumper gets warm or hot. Had the noise relentlessly over the summer. Now that its getting cooler, I only hear it when the exhaust has heated up the right portion of the bumper.

Hope this helps.

holtbest12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
I had no luck with reproducing the rattle when driving with a tech today. I thought it was a constant but I think you are right. It must be temp dependent.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Have the same problem on my EX- the exact same noise as the original video. But I *DO* know where the noise is coming from. I was able to park the car with it in idle and check out the exterior.

It was obvious that the noise was coming from the rear bumper. I would put my hand on the right rear bumper and it would immediately stop. Take my hand away and it would start again. FYI, its not a rattle, its more of a squeaking. I guess when you're inside the car you don't hear the high pitch squeaking. I'm guessing its the rear bumper rubbing against another panel or part.

I've also noticed that it happens when the bumper gets warm or hot. Had the noise relentlessly over the summer. Now that its getting cooler, I only hear it when the exhaust has heated up the right portion of the bumper.

Hope this helps.
I sat in the trunk today while my girlfriend drove. Mine is 100% coming from the bumper like you said. Its a squeaking noise.

murf1179

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic SI
The noise I was experiencing seems to have gone away as the weather has gotten colder. Has anyone identified a fix for the issue?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
The noise I was experiencing seems to have gone away as the weather has gotten colder. Has anyone identified a fix for the issue?
I have experienced something similar. But this car is a rattle machine. Its a bit disappointing. Im concerned that now that its gotten colder, the rattles go away but will come back twice as bad come summer. Dash rattles, rear bumper rattles, headliner rattles, etc. Dealer says that rattles are not a defect and are within Honda quality standards...

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Dealer says that rattles are not a defect and are within Honda quality standards...
What a beautiful analogy highlighting the difference between salesman and service advisor.

Whatever it takes to sell, then reality. I've dealt with most my rattles but the car definitely had major corners cut in the sssembly of the interior. Every panel you touch creaks loudly when you push it when getting in the car. Every panel.

That also coincidentally usually stops any rattles but my 2013 Si interior felt thick and sturdy. This Civic feels hollow and brittle to a degree.

I recognize we got a lot of car for the money and at this level, cuts have to be made somewhere but I am DREADING the cold winter. I leased it and this is gonna dictate whether it's a go or not when it's up

sparky79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Exact same sound here and just noticed it with 12k miles (also just had the dreaded subwoofer rattle popup as well in the past 2 weeks - never had the problem before and have had it almost one year). I did not hear either in warmer summer weather. I *think* the squeak is the styrofoam liner for the spare tire tools. I just removed mine and did not hear the squeak. I also got a car wash at the same time - so it is possible that lubed the bumper. However, I bang on my bumper and do not hear a squeak. Will report back in a few days with results.

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
ok guys just heard this noise today coming home from work...it is at least on mine 100% the rear passenger panel joint that meets up with the bumper and tail light housing. i sprayed some lube oil in and down the seam and it went away immediately. checked the driver side and no issue at all. weird how this just happens on passenger side. btw my build is 10/16 so this is still an issue on going with cy 2017.

osoft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took my car to the dealer last week and got the rattle noise fixed.

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk rattle noise 20161117_082328

sparky79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Exact same sound here and just noticed it with 12k miles (also just had the dreaded subwoofer rattle popup as well in the past 2 weeks - never had the problem before and have had it almost one year). I did not hear either in warmer summer weather. I *think* the squeak is the styrofoam liner for the spare tire tools. I just removed mine and did not hear the squeak. I also got a car wash at the same time - so it is possible that lubed the bumper. However, I bang on my bumper and do not hear a squeak. Will report back in a few days with results.
My squeak noise is gone with removing the Styrofoam tool holder from the spare tire area. I would think that my bumper would have dried out now from the car wash if that is what may have quieted it down. Will put the tools back in and see. Stay tuned. Still want to investigate this taillight/bumper situation.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
My squeak noise is gone with removing the Styrofoam tool holder from the spare tire area. I would think that my bumper would have dried out now from the car wash if that is what may have quieted it down. Will put the tools back in and see. Stay tuned. Still want to investigate this taillight/bumper situation.
That was my first thought as well, but mine 100% comes from the right side, and not the interior itself. I guess I should say used to, I haven't heard it in a while.

trjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
All,

For what it's worth I was having a rattle, too, and it seemed to also mainly emanate from the rear, passenger side. I JUST took out the foam insert, inside the spare tire, and the rattle is gone. This was after I wrapped that entire piece in microfiber cloth. I carry a lot of gear, standard, in my trunk. I noticed a difference when all of that weight was out of the trunk --no noise. When the weight went back in the noise returned. It's possible with other rattles this might be something worth looking at (both adding and taking away weight) to see if it makes a difference.

I will update if the noise returns as I have noticed, even with attempts to silence the noise, that the rattle can return even if I think I fixed it.

-TRJK

trjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
All,

For what it's worth I was having a rattle, too, and it seemed to also mainly emanate from the rear, passenger side. I JUST took out the foam insert, inside the spare tire, and the rattle is gone. This was after I wrapped that entire piece in microfiber cloth. I carry a lot of gear, standard, in my trunk. I noticed a difference when all of that weight was out of the trunk --no noise. When the weight went back in the noise returned. It's possible with other rattles this might be something worth looking at (both adding and taking away weight) to see if it makes a difference.

I will update if the noise returns as I have noticed, even with attempts to silence the noise, that the rattle can return even if I think I fixed it.

-TRJK
Update: That did not fix the rattle noise. I also tried the fix related to the seat release levers and that did not work. The only other thing left would be what someone posted about something inside the rear fender where the brake light meets the body molding. Someone posted a screenshot of a work order from a dealership that showed they heard the noise and fixed it.
Sponsored