Trunk opens spontaneously / alarm sounds

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I have now had two incidents of the trunk being opened (apparently on its own). The first happened in my garage... went to leave and the car tells me that the trunk is open as I'm driving away. I figure it's a fluke. Today, (on a sunny day, as others have mentioned rain), I came out to the parking lot to see the trunk was again opened. The car had successfully locked itself (walk away lock) about an hour earlier.

One of the many reasons you simply can't trust this car. Very annoying. Would never be reproducible for the dealer unless you got really lucky. Only has happened 2 times in 3 months. However, that's two more times than the total of all my other cars in the previous ~30 years. Unacceptable.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I have now had two incidents of the trunk being opened (apparently on its own). The first happened in my garage... went to leave and the car tells me that the trunk is open as I'm driving away. I figure it's a fluke. Today, (on a sunny day, as others have mentioned rain), I came out to the parking lot to see the trunk was again opened. The car had successfully locked itself (walk away lock) about an hour earlier.

One of the many reasons you simply can't trust this car. Very annoying. Would never be reproducible for the dealer unless you got really lucky. Only has happened 2 times in 3 months. However, that's two more times than the total of all my other cars in the previous ~30 years. Unacceptable.
Have you reported this to the dealership? You must report this to Honda corporate too

honda_sue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
This morning when I went out to my car and the trunk was open. I figured I possibly pushed the button accidentally. But the trunk has popped open by itself (keys sitting on my desk) four times now, and the alarm sounds each time.

Called the dealership service dept. and I have an appointment for tomorrow morning.
I have had my 2016 Honda Civic LX (basic model) for 5 days, and the trunk has opened on me 3 or 4 times, without me knowingly pressing the button on the key fob. I've been thinking it's me - the fob is a different design than my 2013 Civic fob, and the way I grab my keys, I thought I was accidentally pressing the trunk button. After reading this, though, maybe not! Just today, I was in a parking lot, preparing to back out of a parking space, and the rear camera seemed "off" - I looked out the back window, and my trunk is open!! Other times it's been in the driveway, and my husband noticed the trunk was open...it has happened enough to be an annoyance, and I thought it was me.

I'll keep a close eye on my hands when I grab the keys, and be sure I don't inadvertently press the trunk button, and see if it continues. If it does, I'll definitely report this to the dealer.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Huh...oddly I've seen a '13-'15 Civic at work with their trunk open ajar a few times. Strange.

Rommy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX 6MT
Country flag
Uh oh. I've had my car for a week, and today my coworker came to my office and asked me why my trunk was open. I assumed I had pressed the button by accident in my.pocket, and thought nothing of it, however after reading this thread I'm not so sure that was the case. =\ time to keep an eye on my trunk. If it happens again I'm reporting it to Honda.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My trunk has opened 2-3 times. This morning I caught exactly when it opened. I pressed the START button, and I heard it pop open. Not acceptable!

Omitted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic '15
How does one report this to honda? I've been having the issue for a few months. And to see people that are reporting the issue on the new model makes me really question getting another honda after this car.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How does one report this to honda? I've been having the issue for a few months. And to see people that are reporting the issue on the new model makes me really question getting another honda after this car.
I'm headed to Honda tomorrow to get this issue "fixed". It's intermittent, so I worry what they'll say. I was happening 2-3 times a day until two days ago, now it's quit. I wish it did it more, since I'm bringing it in, I want them to see it. It happens when I start the car, open the passenger door, and even when I exited the car. The car has a list of about 10 issues. All crazy electronic issues. Either it has a severe wiring issue, or some terrible firmware. The new thing it started doing was one chime suddenly. I look at the instrument panel and see no indications of anything at all. I'm not happy at all with the car. This is the Civic 2016 Touring, a very nice looking car, but tons of issues. I also question my decision to get this car, which will certainly affect my thinking towards the purchase of my next car. I'll try to update here and let people know what Honda says.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2014 civic would occasionally pop the trunk on its own, bugged the crap out of me. I could never get it to do for the techs though...go figure. I finally just unplugged it for a couple of days, then rehooked the plug in the trunk latch popper. It never did it again. Must have been a weird connection.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
They've had my car two days, the trunk has been popping open repeatedly on them. Now it just pops open on it's own, when no one's even around. They can't fix it. I'm supposed to bring it down there again next week, so they can try another part. I can't keep missing work day after day for this. Maybe they can install something like in this picture.
Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk opens spontaneously / alarm sounds FunnyTrunk

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They've had my car two days, the trunk has been popping open repeatedly on them. Now it just pops open on it's own, when no one's even around. They can't fix it. I'm supposed to bring it down there again next week, so they can try another part. I can't keep missing work day after day for this. Maybe they can install something like in this picture.
FunnyTrunk.jpg
Why are you having to take off work? Make them give you a loaner while they figure it out.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Why are you having to take off work? Make them give you a loaner while they figure it out.
Even if they do give me a loaner, which I will be requesting after this point, when they can't fix my two largest issues after two days, I need to drive down there, get it checked in, get the loaner, then drive back down there, turn the loaner back in and pick up my car. That's not going to allow me to work 8 hours, more like 6. It's annoying, on top of everything else, with a brand new car to have a list of a dozen items for them to fix, and after two days, they could only fix a few of them.

They dismissed the car slamming on the brakes and jiggling the steering wheel several times a week, as "Honda recommends those be turned off on curvy roads". So how much did I pay for those features (Lane assist and collision alert or whatever it's called), which I can never turn on? The other irritating feature that doesn't work is the walk away lock the car feature, which occasionally beeps several times and doesn't lock the car. I keep having to walk back to the car to really lock it.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im talking about a loaner you KEEP until they get it fixed. Ya know, just leave your car there. I thought most dealers did that, ours does. I'll be damned if I would drive back and forth to the dealer every day until they fixed it. That's just me though. Good luck.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Im talking about a loaner you KEEP until they get it fixed. Ya know, just leave your car there. I thought most dealers did that, ours does. I'll be damned if I would drive back and forth to the dealer every day until they fixed it. That's just me though. Good luck.
Not Folsom Honda. I asked. Then the trunk opened twice while the guy was giving me the car back until the part comes in on Tuesday. I told him that wasn't driveable like that, and they went and disconnected it (it got much worse since I dropped it off). The interior stinks something terrible. I'm not too happy!
Sponsored

Last edited: