Trunk opens spontaneously / alarm sounds

Claude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
Ah-ha! I'm not alone! I thought I'd been hitting the FOB's button accidentally, that it was too sensitive... I started putting my keys in a metal box so the buttons wouldn't accidentally be pushed.

When I got to the office, I locked the door with the FOB, pulled the handle to make sure the door was locked (I always do this) and I walked away. Then I often turn around (so I can gaze one last time at this gorgeous car) and press the "lock" button again. The lights didn't turn on on the car. I didn't realize why until later when a colleague told me she had parked behind me and had noticed the trunk was open (she closed it).

It's a pretty serious problem. Imagine when you go off on a trip with your luggage in the trunk, and it pops open while you've stopped on the road to use the bathroom or have a meal.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Googling "trunk opens by itself" shows that this isn't an isolated case.

I didn't read any of the actual pages but if I were to guess I'd think the trunk latch is either sticky or too stiff, not allowing the trunk to fully close.

Check that the safety latch inside the trunk isn't stuck open or anything maybe?

Claude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
I've been very careful with my FOB ever since the problem started, but I've noticed that 3 of the 4 or 5 times this has happened, I was parked a street away from a municipal airport.

Deleted member 3091

The new Body Control Module fixed the trunk popping open issue, and so far the walk away lock the car option has worked every time, a couple of improvements! So if anyone else is having those issues, that may be the problem for you too.
Can you tell us more about this "New Body Control Module" that fixed the trunk popping open issue? Did the dealer charge you? How often did the problem happen to you?

lem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996-ESi, 1992-Camry, 2006-Lancer, 2017-EX Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
I experienced this after two weeks of owning the car. After I started the car and drove a couple of blocks away it indicated that the hatch is open and so i stopped and closed it.
Although i don't experience it since then but i'm on the lookout after reading this thread.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Can you tell us more about this "New Body Control Module" that fixed the trunk popping open issue? Did the dealer charge you? How often did the problem happen to you?
I wasn't charged. It's under warranty. They weren't too keen on fixing the intermittent problem until they saw it, so they sent me home. The issue got worse and worse, until I couldn't drive it, as the trunk would pop open every couple of minutes. From what I remember, the problem got worse and worse over a few months, first starting with the auto lock failing because of the multiple beeps when I leave the car. After a while the trunk started popping open, first only maybe once a week, then sometimes a couple times a day. By the time I brought it to Honda, it hadn't happened for 3 days, and I thought here we go again, but when the guy went out to get my mileage, the trunk popped open, and from then on, it popped open almost constantly. I had to get them to disable the wiring, because they had to order the body control module. So we left the back seat down, so they could get back into the trunk when they got the module.

Here I am, what is it, a year later? And the issue is back. I made another appt with Honda for next week. Twice now I had the multiple beeps when I get out of the car (this means it won't auto-lock), and once the trunk popped open. This is very frustrating.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda wouldn't fix the trunk popping open and multiple beeps when exiting the car issue this time. It didn't happen while the car was there, so even though I dealt with this exact same issue last year, and they know what fixes it, they declined to fix it until they see it happen. That could mean months of intermittent annoying issues until it gets that bad. On their survey they sent me, I put in a couple paragraphs about how I felt with being annoyed by this issue for months once again. The manager there contacted Honda and talked to them, and found out they have been seeing this issue, and have a newly design body control module that fixes this problem for good apparently. I'm scheduled to have this installed in a couple days. Very good news - if this is fixed for good, I'll be very happy.

Eldorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This has happened to my 2017 Si 4 times now, 3 times with myself and once with my father. I'm gonna call the dealership today. Will report back what they say.

Eldorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This has happened to my 2017 Si 4 times now, 3 times with myself and once with my father. I'm gonna call the dealership today. Will report back what they say.
Dealership said it was maybe a faulty latch, they adjusted it and sent me home after 2 hours in the waiting room.

northerndriver

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
This morning when I went out to my car and the trunk was open. I figured I possibly pushed the button accidentally. But the trunk has popped open by itself (keys sitting on my desk) four times now, and the alarm sounds each time.

Called the dealership service dept. and I have an appointment for tomorrow morning.
I am having the same issue with my 2016 Civic. The trunk opens on its own, and now the alarms goes off for no reason. I ruled out the possibility of accidentally pressing the FOB button. And yesterday, the alarm went off.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So far the new updated body control module they installed in late July 2017 has done the trick for me. No trunk popping open, and no issues with the auto lock when I walk away from the car. It may take a bit more time if it was going to do this, but I'm very hopeful it really is fixed. I'll report back here if the issue reappears.

rbrierty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
So far the new updated body control module they installed in late July 2017 has done the trick for me. No trunk popping open, and no issues with the auto lock when I walk away from the car. It may take a bit more time if it was going to do this, but I'm very hopeful it really is fixed. I'll report back here if the issue reappears.
I too now have this trunk opening problem with my 2016 Civic. My car spent 24 hours at the dealership with no results. Frustrating that the dealership says they have not heard of this problem (do they not know about google???). I have contacted Honda USA with little hope of getting much of a response...we'll see. I will mention the BCM on my next conversation. Thanks for the info.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Unfortunately my trunk is popping open again on its own. I've also gotten the multiple beeps when I leave the car - autolock is not going to work issue a few times. This is a sign the Body Control Module, the updated one they said fixed the issue, is a failure. Also my intermittent wipers don't work at all, they never come on in intermittent. Ugh - stupid Honda.

branvan

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX 6MT
Country flag
Just adding my name to the list of those with this issue. As with others, I thought I was somehow pressing the fob buttons accidentally, but it has happened about 4 times now and sometimes while driving so that is not the issue. I kind of hate my dealer so I use the one pretty far from me... Doubt they'd be able to do anything unless they can reproduce it, so I guess I need to wait until it gets worse
Sponsored