Mystikal Ninja

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I had just gotten a 2017 Honda Civic in April. Since then, the truck just pops open randomly. My keys will be sitting on the table and next thing I know the alarm is going off. I run out to check it and find out that my trunk is open. How? I have checked the latch and made sure nothing was around it so it could fully latch. But I was just sitting in my car yesterday and the trunk just popped open. The key was in the ignition but never hit the trunk release button. Any idea on what is going on or is this happening to others?
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Check the emergency release latch/cord. It's the thing that allows you to escape if you get locked inside the trunk. Some folks have had this issue with that being the cause.

Others have experienced this with the cause being a sticky release button. Typically... the issue was that someone spilled coffee or soda on the button.

OP
OP
Mystikal Ninja

Mystikal Ninja

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Thank you! I had items in the trunk so I took some out and it hasn't went off since. It was on the cord. I would have never thought of that. Thanks again!

Abbie269

First Name
Abbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Check the emergency release latch/cord. It's the thing that allows you to escape if you get locked inside the trunk. Some folks have had this issue with that being the cause.

Others have experienced this with the cause being a sticky release button. Typically... the issue was that someone spilled coffee or soda on the button.
You're saying to check the emergency release, but what am I looking for? Where should it be positioned?