Aye_Aron97

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I took off my stock spoiler to install a type r style one, but now I have the old holes temporarily covered with a water resistant tape. Has any one had a good experience either filling in the holes or just getting a new trunk lid all together like from seibon or getting new oem parts?
Sponsored

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the Si over there but where are the holes? are they in the tailgate itself?

Hard to be sure but I'm guessing its a Coupe so I googled it and it's a pretty small area to mount the spoiler so you could easily have those holes filled in and repainted. No need to change out the entire tailgate and it wouldn't cost a lot.

OP
OP
Aye_Aron97

Aye_Aron97

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the Si over there but where are the holes? are they in the tailgate itself?

Hard to be sure but I'm guessing its a Coupe so I googled it and it's a pretty small area to mount the spoiler so you could easily have those holes filled in and repainted. No need to change out the entire tailgate and it wouldn't cost a lot.
i have the sedan SI, the holes are on top of the trunk lid following the general center line of the stick spoiler. 10 holes total into a hollow space, I think filling in the holes is going to be a challenge I’d rather try it myself first though for about $250 (fo full paint repair kit and bondo) vs A local body shop quoted me around 1,300.00 to buy a new oem trunk, paint it and install it.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've heard of people using vinyl wrap over the trunk lid

OP
OP
Aye_Aron97

Aye_Aron97

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I've heard of people using vinyl wrap over the trunk lid
yea I have seen that done, I’m just not a huge fan of the after look.
1) you can still see where the holes are at not as noticeable but still...well, noticeable
2) I’d prefer to have something thicker and more reliable than vinyl separating the inside of my trunk from harsh weather like rain or snow, heat from the sun etc...

im not opposed to this but it just ins t my first option, thanks for the input though I’d rather have more options than no options

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
i have the sedan SI, the holes are on top of the trunk lid following the general center line of the stick spoiler. 10 holes total into a hollow space, I think filling in the holes is going to be a challenge I’d rather try it myself first though for about $250 (fo full paint repair kit and bondo) vs A local body shop quoted me around 1,300.00 to buy a new oem trunk, paint it and install it.
That's a crazy expensive quote for the small area of work. I'd shop around and find someone who'll give you a realistic quote to weld and fill the holes and repaint the area without replacing the tailgate itself.

Obviously it's dependent on where you are in the world, but this kind of work would cost the equivalent of maybe 300-600USD where I am from a decent independent body shop. The area to paint is quite small so I'm pretty surprised they want to entirely replace the tailgate.

OP
OP
Aye_Aron97

Aye_Aron97

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
That's a crazy expensive quote for the small area of work. I'd shop around and find someone who'll give you a realistic quote to weld and fill the holes and repaint the area without replacing the tailgate itself.

Obviously it's dependent on where you are in the world, but this kind of work would cost the equivalent of maybe 300-600USD where I am from a decent independent body shop. The area to paint is quite small so I'm pretty surprised they want to entirely replace the tailgate.
yea I agree, when I saw that price I immediately walked out of there. They said it would be cheaper and easier to replace the trunk than to try and fill it in. They were worried because it is hollow inside That the bondo Wouldn’t hold up, just causing more problems over and over again. I think I will look around more and find a better quote than that.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yea I agree, when I saw that price I immediately walked out of there. They said it would be cheaper and easier to replace the trunk than to try and fill it in. They were worried because it is hollow inside That the bondo Wouldn’t hold up, just causing more problems over and over again. I think I will look around more and find a better quote than that.
I paid paintless dent repair guy like $90 to flatten the 10 holes. I lasered 1" circles out of engraving stock to seal the holes from bottom and another $5 on Bondo so less than $100 in it. I'll send you 20 circles to seal the holes for $10 PayPal for shipping. I've done this for other members.
Sponsored