True Cost of Adding a HFP Kit & Couple of Install Tips

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
When I bought my Si Coupe, I wanted to add the Honda Factory Performance package for the upgraded suspension and wheels. My goal is the best handling Si Coupe that Honda can design. I want to try autocross in a stock Si—all Honda parts (except for the shift knob)! The Honda website lists all the HFP parts and a suspension upgrade as part of the kit. The dealer wanted $4,946 to install the "kit". However, when I asked about the suspension components, they said their parts guy couldn't find the part number so it was just wheels/tires and the body pieces for the almost $5K. I asked why Honda listed it if it didn't exist and got "maybe it will be out in a few months". The other Honda dealership had the same response.
Google to the rescue: College Hills Honda (Ohio) sells the complete kit including 19" wheels (made by Enkei), front & rear upgraded active dampeners and new control unit, front spoiler, side underbody spoilers, black lug nuts, floor mats, 3 HFP badges (everyone knows stickers add HP) with free delivery. Most importantly, four new dampeners with a new dampener control module. So I figured the kit plus tires for the new wheels and I'm good to go if I do the work myself.
Wrong! There are some other costs involved, so: (all costs rounded up to the next dollar)
$3,539 Kit
$1,127 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (Costco: complete, out-the-door price)
$ 102 4 Wheel Alignment
$ 61 A HONDA DEALER HAS TO TELL YOUR CAR THAT IT HAS 19 in WHEELS w/SUMMER TIRES!

Total: $4,829 which is $117 less than the dealer; so its like I got the upgraded suspension for free which is ~$1,600 by itself, uninstalled.
Install went well, the side underbody spoilers are amazingly easy to install. The College Hills Honda website has great installation instructions. I had asked a local shop how much to install the two front dampeners because I didn't want to mess with the ball joints, they wanted $370 just to replace the two dampeners. When I did it myself, I found that you don't have to press out the ball joints, just take the 3 nuts off the bottom of the ball joint and continue with the install. The rear dampeners are easy to install. The real pain is taking out the interior driver's side panels and rear seat to get to the dampener control module.
Between the suspension install and shelling out the $$$ for new tires, several weeks went by so I took my car for a 4 wheel alignment with the new suspension but stock wheels. I went to a really good shop that specializes in autocross and race car alignments. The alignment made a noticeable difference in the handling of my car. Even though it didn't pull to one side, both front wheels where toed out so it would track to the side that had the pothole or bump. However, that went away with the alignment. My car only had 2,500 miles, but I wish I had done the alignment before the install just for the improvement and to catch the rear wheel issue. My wheel was tilted in but they found that my left rear wheel couldn't be adjusted to spec since the rear control arm isn't adjustable. Since I had installed the suspension myself, there was no going back to Honda on warranty (even though there is pretty much no way to install the rear dampener incorrectly as long as you put weight on the suspension to torque). The shop wanted $260 for an adjustable control arm and the install, plus pay some charge to check the alignment again. I ordered the same part from Amazon for $100 and installed myself. I have an appointment for this Friday for another 4 wheel alignment so my actual price is $202 over what's listed above since I had the rear wheel issue.
The Good:
- Great grip with the new wheels/tires
- The wheels are made by Enkei for Honda
- The 19 inch wheels weigh about 25.5 lbs without the tire which doesn't seem bad for the size
- In Sport mode, the car stays flat in the turns, even better than before. In regular mode, its a better daily driver. It's really good with the new suspension and the stock 18 inch wheels. For someone who wants to improve their ride comfort, that's a good combo.
The Bad:
- A couple of less miles per gallon with the new tires.
- It takes a Honda computer to tell your car's computer that it has 19 inch wheels with summer tires. When I called the dealer, they didn't know what I was talking about. So I took them the instructions. The tech came back saying "wow, the car will let you go all the way up to 22 inch rims". I wanted to skip this step, but after installing the new wheels/tires, I would get wheel hop on hard accelerations. There has been no wheel hop since I've had it done.
**Can some of you smart mechanical folks chime in on this issue? My plan was to daily drive the 18 inch wheels and use the 19 inch wheels for autocross/sport driving, but that doesn't look doable since there doesn't seem to be a way for the owner to change these settings. I've included a pic of the first step of the instructions which state, "Connect the i-HDS/DST-i to the data link connector..."
Long write-up, but I wanted to share my experience in case others are interested in these additions.

Honda Civic 10th gen True Cost of Adding a HFP Kit & Couple of Install Tips IMG_7429

Honda Civic 10th gen True Cost of Adding a HFP Kit & Couple of Install Tips Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 7.23.22 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen True Cost of Adding a HFP Kit & Couple of Install Tips IMG_7710

Honda Civic 10th gen True Cost of Adding a HFP Kit & Couple of Install Tips IMG_7862

Last edited:

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
You weighed the HFP wheels yourself? That would be nice since most people on this forum (from what I've seen) have said that the HFP wheels are heavier.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm thinking it has something to do with the TPMS calibration which measures wheel speed vs. actual pressure. I'll ask a couple of the more experienced techs and see if they know. :cool:

OP
OP
MtnBikeAZ1

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
HFP suspension isn't stock class legal.
Really? I was thinking of going for the first time this weekend, so I would be in Rookie class not matter what. However, people put things like Si or Type R sway bars on regular Civics all the time and I didn't think it changed the class since its a stock Honda part.

OP
OP
MtnBikeAZ1

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm thinking it has something to do with the TPMS calibration which measures wheel speed vs. actual pressure. I'll ask a couple of the more experienced techs and see if they know. :cool:
I would really like to know if there's another way around paying the dealer to do it. As I said, it really takes away from Autocross/track days if you can't change your wheels without updating the computer. By the way, I went through the infotainment screen and told the system to recalibrate the TPMS, but I still got the wheel hop until the dealer undated the wheel size settings.

OP
OP
MtnBikeAZ1

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You weighed the HFP wheels yourself? That would be nice since most people on this forum (from what I've seen) have said that the HFP wheels are heavier.
Yes, I weighed all four rims and 25.5 lb was average. One was 25.2 lb, the heaviest was 25.7lb. Enkei is known for making lightweight wheels. It was a nice surprise to seen that Enkei made them.

OP
OP
MtnBikeAZ1

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I would really like to know if there's another way around paying the dealer to do it. As I said, it really takes away from Autocross/track days if you can't change your wheels without updating the computer. By the way, I went through the infotainment screen and told the system to recalibrate the TPMS, but I still got the wheel hop until the dealer undated the wheel size settings.
Also, it drives you crazy when both the 18" wheel/tire and the 19" wheel/tire have the same diameter of 25.5". With the same diameter, how does the car even know?

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
Yes, I weighed all four rims and 25.5 lb was average. One was 25.2 lb, the heaviest was 25.7lb. Enkei is known for making lightweight wheels. It was a nice surprise to seen that Enkei made them.
It is nice to know that Enkei makes them. I know they make the normal Si wheels, but not the Sport hatch wheels; even though they look almost identical. Very reassuring that I can expect great quality from the HFP wheels.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really? I was thinking of going for the first time this weekend, so I would be in Rookie class not matter what. However, people put things like Si or Type R sway bars on regular Civics all the time and I didn't think it changed the class since its a stock Honda part.
Either front or rear sway upgrade is allowed in Stock. Not both.
Shocks are allowed but not springs. The HFP kit includes different spring rates which are not legal.
There are limitations on wheel changes as well but I doubt the HFP wheels violate any of those.
There are a couple of other things allowed as well.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Either front or rear sway upgrade is allowed in Stock. Not both.
Shocks are allowed but not springs. The HFP kit includes different spring rates which are not legal.
There are limitations on wheel changes as well but I doubt the HFP wheels violate any of those.
There are a couple of other things allowed as well.
This....

if its your first event, play ignorant.. its not until you start to beat people that they will take notice and potentially protest your car. Also, the rules above mentioned are likely the SCCA rules. Ultimately, you will have to learn to read the rule book for the club you are running with.. and make whatever compromises you are willing to make to enjoy the car the way you want to.

OP
OP
MtnBikeAZ1

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This....

if its your first event, play ignorant.. its not until you start to beat people that they will take notice and potentially protest your car. Also, the rules above mentioned are likely the SCCA rules. Ultimately, you will have to learn to read the rule book for the club you are running with.. and make whatever compromises you are willing to make to enjoy the car the way you want to.
Thanks for the info. I've signed up and Saturday will be the first time I've ever tried autocross. The kit comes with a new set of rear springs which appear exactly like the ones coming off. They are so similar that I took calipers to them and they are slightly smaller in diameter than the originals. I really thought they would be thicker, to stiffen the ride.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
HEY MtnBike.........I like that Red front lip...where did u get it and how much?

Thanks!

I was thinking of spraying a few coats of Red Plasti Dip but..............

OP
OP
MtnBikeAZ1

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Johncarter269

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
This....

What he said....most events have an open Novice class run whatever you have provided it passes safety check. Usually an instructor will also go out with you. FYI your car in stock form for SCCA is GS class
Sponsored