True 3" exhaust system for the Civic Type R (FK8)

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
even the stock exhaust has drone in that rpm range
Yeah I agree the stock does have a little drone at that range. However this is at least 50% louder. Like I'm defeaned after an hour drive on the highway.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
even the stock exhaust has drone in that rpm range
The stock exhaust does drone around 3k RPM. Though the amount of drone produced (amplitude of the sound wave) is very tame and low. Granted I haven't sat in a car with the 27Won exhaust installed, so I wouldn't know how bad @spyder57 has it right now. That said, I know for AWE and others sound deadening has been known to help drone (though it's kind of ironic to need to use it :p).

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
The stock exhaust does drone around 3k RPM. Though the amount of drone produced (amplitude of the sound wave) is very tame and low. Granted I haven't sat in a car with the 27Won exhaust installed, so I wouldn't know how bad @spyder57 has it right now. That said, I know for AWE and others sound deadening has been known to help drone (though it's kind of ironic to need to use it :p).
Thanks yeah, I'm going to try some sound deadening in the hatch and see if that helps. The highway drone is just killing me. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great otherwise.

201FK8

First Name
VINZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC TYPE R FK8, CRX SI 87', MAZDA 3 14'
Country flag
Yeah I agree the stock does have a little drone at that range. However this is at least 50% louder. Like I'm defeaned after an hour drive on the highway.
would be nice if you attached a video, I'm curious as well. I was leaning towards this exhaust but I went for titanium one for lightness and for the valved option

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
would be nice if you attached a video, I'm curious as well. I was leaning towards this exhaust but I went for titanium one for lightness and for the valved option
I'll try to get one up, but it's near impossible to capture the boominess I think. You really need a reference back to stock in the same video to understand how bad it is.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
@Vincent@27WON any thoughts on options to reduce the drone at highway speeds between 2.6-2.9k rpms? Would adding a vibrant ultraquiet resonator help?

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Update for you, I measured the drone at 70mph and it's registering at 80db steady state. I believe the stock level is low 70s, so the drone is almost twice as loud as stock.

Hoping vincent gives some guidance on how this can be addressed.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Update for you, I measured the drone at 70mph and it's registering at 80db steady state. I believe the stock level is low 70s, so the drone is almost twice as loud as stock.

Hoping vincent gives some guidance on how this can be addressed.
It would also be useful to know what frequency is being "droned" as well as the weighting on said measurement device. The Type R's stock drone frequency is actually very low, so an A-weighted meter will only focus on frequencies above 1k with frequencies below 1k slowly tapering off in importance. A C-weighted setup discriminates against high and low frequencies far less and is more linearly uniform.

For example, lets say we have two exhausts that have their "drone" frequency at 250 Hz and 125 Hz respectively. Let's say that they both actually output an amplitude of 80 dB. On an A-weighted setup, the actual readings would be 71.4 dB for the 250 Hz sound wave and 63.9 dB for the 125 Hz. On a C-weighted meter you'd end up with 80 dB for the 250 Hz and 79.8 for the 125 hz.

Note that for most legal applications, an A-weighted meter is used which more or less ignores bass frequencies (which is generally where drone would reside).

Edit: quick reference to see the differences between A and C-weighting.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
It would also be useful to know what frequency is being "droned" as well as the weighting on said measurement device. The Type R's stock drone frequency is actually very low, so an A-weighted meter will only focus on frequencies above 1k with frequencies below 1k slowly tapering off in importance. A C-weighted setup discriminates against high and low frequencies far less and is more linearly uniform.

For example, lets say we have two exhausts that have their "drone" frequency at 250 Hz and 125 Hz respectively. Let's say that they both actually output an amplitude of 80 dB. On an A-weighted setup, the actual readings would be 71.4 dB for the 250 Hz sound wave and 63.9 dB for the 125 Hz. On a C-weighted meter you'd end up with 80 dB for the 250 Hz and 79.8 for the 125 hz.

Note that for most legal applications, an A-weighted meter is used which more or less ignores bass frequencies (which is generally where drone would reside).

Edit: quick reference to see the differences between A and C-weighting.
Thanks for the details, I will check the frequency this weekend.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
@Vincent@27WON any thoughts on options to reduce the drone at highway speeds between 2.6-2.9k rpms? Would adding a vibrant ultraquiet resonator help?
Vibrant Ultraquiet is an amazing resonator, I wish more companies used it for resonators on their exhausts. It cut my friend's catless r400 drone in half, and made my AFE Power exhaust bearable to drive. Would recommend, I've installed 3 of them on different car's and it never changed the tone, just eliminated rasp and drone.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Vibrant Ultraquiet is an amazing resonator, I wish more companies used it for resonators on their exhausts. It cut my friend's catless r400 drone in half, and made my AFE Power exhaust bearable to drive. Would recommend, I've installed 3 of them on different car's and it never changed the tone, just eliminated rasp and drone.
Thanks, I'm definitely considering this option. Did you simply cut the exhaust and weld the resonator in? Or did you use v bands? Pictures would be appreciated.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks, I'm definitely considering this option. Did you simply cut the exhaust and weld the resonator in? Or did you use v bands? Pictures would be appreciated.
I don't see the purpose of using V bands unless you like to throw money away. Sure you could add vbands or flanges to make the resonator removable, but you will need to invest in welding flanges/vbands to the straight piping to put back in place too.

Installing it is simply a matter of cutting a straight section of piping out and welding the resonator in place. The 3 inch ultra quiet resonator is pretty small so it fits well in the exhaust tunnel. If you end up hating it, you would simply it cut it back out and weld back the piping that use to be there.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I don't see the purpose of using V bands unless you like to throw money away. Sure you could add vbands or flanges to make the resonator removable, but you will need to invest in welding flanges/vbands to the straight piping to put back in place too.

Installing it is simply a matter of cutting a straight section of piping out and welding the resonator in place. The 3 inch ultra quiet resonator is pretty small so it fits well in the exhaust tunnel. If you end up hating it, you would simply it cut it back out and weld back the piping that use to be there.
Got it, that makes sense.
Sponsored