Bosco72

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic coupe sport
Country flag
Does any one here have 0 - 60 time 2.0 cvt in s mode. My car feel so much faster in s mode
Sponsored

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Does any one here have 0 - 60 time 2.0 cvt in s mode. My car feel so much faster in s mode
I am pretty sure that the professional reviewers use whichever mode gives them the best time 0-60.
Whether that is "D", "S" or "L".

I believe the time that professionals get is about 8.2 seconds. The Sport Coupe is a sporty looking car, but it isn't fast.

Note that using "L" or "S" will transmit more torque through the transmission. Especially if you are pushing it hard to accelerate. This WILL shorten the life of your CVT transmission if you do it a lot. If you wanted to drive the car fast on a regular basis, you should have got a manual transmission. I.M.O.

Last edited:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Note that using "L" or "S" will transmit more torque through the transmission. Especially if you are pushing it hard to accelerate. This WILL shorten the life of your CVT transmission if you do it a lot.
I don't think this statement is correct.... that's not what S and L do... these cars make a certain amount of torque, they'll never make more than what they already do. That said, driving around in S all the time could add some wear and tear to your engine due to the constant higher RPMs.

S and L settings change the throttle response/mapping, so instead of the transmission defaulting to efficiency, it focuses on throttle response and more instant torque delivery, it does this essentially by keeping the RPMs up, not allowing the CVT to "upshift" as to keep the car in the meat of its powerband. It's still the same amount of torque, it's just coming at you at different timing. I SERIOUSLY doubt Honda would ever put transmission modes into any of it's cars that would shorten the life of the transmission, the software controlling the transmission prevents that from happening.

That said... what you will lose is gas mileage... and the return will be maybe a 10th of a second give or take depending on mode. Keeping the engine in that higher RPM state constantly means more noise, less mileage mostly. Most tests show the L gets the fastest 0-60 times. S is better when you're already moving, think passing or an autocross situation where you're on/off the throttle a lot. But from a dead stop, L is the better of the 2 for a quicker run to 60. Some tests have even shown the car doing better runs in Econ mode than in S. It may FEEL faster, but really you're just getting a more immediate response from the throttle, but it does basically nothing for pure 0-60.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since OP is talking about the Sport trim which has paddle shifters, there is no L, only S.
Sponsored