Troubles Plague Honda CR-V 1.5-Liter Turbocharged Engine - recall

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Motortrend just posted an article about this. Honda says they will be issuing a fix for this come mid november and will be outfitting all 2019 not yet sold as well. Didn't mention what the fix was, but they have come up with something.

Very odd that this issue seems to only be reserved to the CRV 1.5T and haven't really heard anything in regards to the Civic or Accord 1.5T having the same issues, and pretty sure the Accord 1.5T is an almost exact copy over of the CRV, same turbo etc.
FWIW, in the Consumer Reports article, the Honda rep they spoke with said: “The irregular high oil level condition is not as widespread as some internet chatter may imply.”
Sure it might be Honda downplaying things a bit, but Internet is also known for this disproportionate effect of a few people with bad experiences being outspoken and thousands of those without any problems just quietly enjoying their cars.
[/confirmation_bias] :D
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if @360glitch can maybe merge all the CRV recall/oil dilution topics into one. There are so many different ones it makes my head spin.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
FWIW, in the Consumer Reports article, the Honda rep they spoke with said: “The irregular high oil level condition is not as widespread as some internet chatter may imply.”
Sure it might be Honda downplaying things a bit, but Internet is also known for this disproportionate effect of a few people with bad experiences being outspoken and thousands of those without any problems just quietly enjoying their cars.
[/confirmation_bias] :D
+1 - every time someone brings it up I mention oil analysis - if people really are interested, get regular analysis performed on the oil to become informed. The "smells like fuel" test is a lousy metric.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
That's certainly a logical train of thought, but does it have any basis in documented reality? What makes you think the CRV is the "breadwinner" compared to the Civic?
upload_2018-10-11_15-51-0.png
upload_2018-10-11_15-52-21.png

Sales figured for the past 10 years look pretty close to me.

There are multiple members here paying for oil analysis to track the quality of their oil for various reasons.

[

upload_2018-10-11_15-51-29.png
Well, here's what Honda says in terms of its sales for September 2018. Notice the year-to-date data for the Civic and CRV. The Civic has dropped significantly in sales, while the CRV has been more stable in terms of sales.

Honda Civic 10th gen Troubles Plague Honda CR-V 1.5-Liter Turbocharged Engine - recall sept18sales

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
We have a discussion in this thread and a TOV thread as to the bigger picture. In short, there seem to be a few fringe cases tied to driving conditions where the oil is not getting to optimal temps. That in turn is diluting the oil with BOTH fuel and water.

In nearly all cases, owners who have suffered this condition are driving less than 2-3 miles in extremely cold conditions. Not just a few trips. Every. Single. Trip. In turn, the excess fuel & water in the crankcase never vaporizes or gets rerouted through the PCV. This is further exacerbated on direct injection because the injector sprays directly on the oil film of the cylinder wall, which can make its way down into the crankcase.

Honda does factor this condition into their MM algorithm by forcing the user to swap out the oil as early as 3K, as reported by some members. That in turn prevents nearly all cases where the engine oil level is outside operating parameters, or gets diluted to the point that it not longer adequately protects.

The narrative being suggested by Consumer Reports, Motor Trend and others is way off IMHO. It's definitely worth tracking. But it's nowhere near an epidemic that some are claiming. Every single oil report we have on the 1.5T continues to show no evidence of premature wear, despite some having fuel readings as high as 5%. You can view the database here.

A TOV member summarized it quite perfectly (no offense to anyone here):

Honda Civic 10th gen Troubles Plague Honda CR-V 1.5-Liter Turbocharged Engine - recall your-sample-sizes-are-small-your-standard-deviations-are-high-34898394

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
thank you! i absolutely love my hatch sport, this car just feels too good to be true sometimes (for the price)

Markdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic LXS, 2007 Civic EX
Clearly there is an issue with Civic 1.5T too. Honda made changes to the 2019 touring dropping mileage by 19% city and 11% hwy. They would have made no such changes without a problem. They will offer the "fix" on 2016/17 eventually. I've noticed the oil level being high on my wifes car but figured dealer over filled a bit. She does not take short trips at all, 45 min hwy drive twice per day.
I'm not concerned though. They will fix or we will trade or sell if worried long term.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
We have a discussion in this thread and a TOV thread as to the bigger picture. In short, there seem to be a few fringe cases tied to driving conditions where the oil is not getting to optimal temps. That in turn is diluting the oil with BOTH fuel and water.

In nearly all cases, owners who have suffered this condition are driving less than 2-3 miles in extremely cold conditions. Not just a few trips. Every. Single. Trip. In turn, the excess fuel & water in the crankcase never vaporizes or gets rerouted through the PCV. This is further exacerbated on direct injection because the injector sprays directly on the oil film of the cylinder wall, which can make its way down into the crankcase.

Honda does factor this condition into their MM algorithm by forcing the user to swap out the oil as early as 3K, as reported by some members. That in turn prevents nearly all cases where the engine oil level is outside operating parameters, or gets diluted to the point that it not longer adequately protects.

The narrative being suggested by Consumer Reports, Motor Trend and others is way off IMHO. It's definitely worth tracking. But it's nowhere near an epidemic that some are claiming. Every single oil report we have on the 1.5T continues to show no evidence of premature wear, despite some having fuel readings as high as 5%. You can view the database here.

A TOV member summarized it quite perfectly (no offense to anyone here):

your-sample-sizes-are-small-your-standard-deviations-are-high-34898394.png
A sample size of 21 is pretty small. Better to wait and gather enough data before you claim." Every single oil report we have on the 1.5T continues to show no evidence of premature wear."

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Factually, that statement is correct and does not imply the absence of a problem (nor the presence of one). But if you can find others, we'll take them! :cool:

CN: Worth tracking.

Clearly there is an issue with Civic 1.5T too. Honda made changes to the 2019 touring dropping mileage by 19% city and 11% hwy.
Probably has more to do with the rotational mass of the 18" wheel & tire combo. I'd look to the EX for a more direct MPG comparison.

Last edited:

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Just follow your maintenance for when to change oil and you will never have an issue. Honda knows what they’re doing and I’m sure it adjusts change intervals for it

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Factually, that statement is correct and does not imply the absence of a problem (nor the presence of one). But if you can find others, we'll take them! :cool:

CN: Worth tracking.

Probably has more to do with the rotational mass of the 18" wheel & tire combo. I'd look to the EX for a more direct MPG comparison.
It's also slower too because of that mass.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Just follow your maintenance for when to change oil and you will never have an issue. Honda knows what they’re doing and I’m sure it adjusts change intervals for it
I'm on my 4th oil change at 10k+ per change. Still running strong!

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
You're right that it's a factually correct statement, but, as someone who does data analysis for a living, I've seen countless examples of "factually" correct theories/statements at one moment of time turn out to be false when additional data has been gathered and a bit of time has passed.

With that said, I appreciate you taking the time and effort to gather the data and seeking to make an evidence-based opinion. There are too many folks who are making ignorant comments based on nothing.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
For those with the Touring trim level, just use the remote start and let it run for 10 minutes before you drive off in cold weather. That will take care of those that drive very short distances to work, etc.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
For those with the Touring trim level, just use the remote start and let it run for 10 minutes before you drive off in cold weather. That will take care of those that drive very short distances to work, etc.
i thought idling was terrible for cars and no matter the weather you should start and go (at low RPM until it reaches appropriate engine/oil temp)
Sponsored