TeamDT

First Name
Mia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX
Country flag
Happy to hear that things worked out for you...
Sponsored

Xedos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport+ 1.5T (MT)
Country flag
A little bit of hoops to jump through
Could you please help me understand that? What's the meaning here? I really like 27Won CAI and thinking of buying it exactly the same way you do. BTW our rides are same.

OP
OP
thatonejosh

thatonejosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (MT)
Country flag
Could you please help me understand that? What's the meaning here? I really like 27Won CAI and thinking of buying it exactly the same way you do. BTW our rides are same.
Sorry for taking a bit to get back haven't been on in a while.

After rocking this CAI for a while now, I still strongly recommend it, it still puts a smile on my face feeling the power along with the intake noises it creates. So if you're still on the fence let me try to give you some insight on how it is to get the RACE MAF up and running reliably.

So in terms of "hoops to jump through", I was only referring to the RACE MAF version of this product (RACE MAF referring to the size of the intake tubing). For our cars, the 1.5T NON SI engines, there's no preset in KTuner that will let you run this. I couldn't tell you what happens to your ride trying to drive without the proper specs for the RACE MAF but it can't be good. So the hoops I had to jump through only refer to after the install and the technical side of things, which was trying to get the right MAF scaling numbers. Other than that the install and every other aspect is straightforward and has been great for me.

So to summarize, if you are planning on getting future mods that will make you more power - more importantly a new turbo such as 27Won's - then go with the Race maf. I still haven't done it but it's always tempting me. If you simply want a fun aftermarket mod that will help open up your engine to cooler air and is hella fun to hear, go with the normal street MAF. No tune needed for that one.

Let me know if you end up getting your new CAI!

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sorry for taking a bit to get back haven't been on in a while.

After rocking this CAI for a while now, I still strongly recommend it, it still puts a smile on my face feeling the power along with the intake noises it creates. So if you're still on the fence let me try to give you some insight on how it is to get the RACE MAF up and running reliably.

So in terms of "hoops to jump through", I was only referring to the RACE MAF version of this product (RACE MAF referring to the size of the intake tubing). For our cars, the 1.5T NON SI engines, there's no preset in KTuner that will let you run this. I couldn't tell you what happens to your ride trying to drive without the proper specs for the RACE MAF but it can't be good. So the hoops I had to jump through only refer to after the install and the technical side of things, which was trying to get the right MAF scaling numbers. Other than that the install and every other aspect is straightforward and has been great for me.

So to summarize, if you are planning on getting future mods that will make you more power - more importantly a new turbo such as 27Won's - then go with the Race maf. I still haven't done it but it's always tempting me. If you simply want a fun aftermarket mod that will help open up your engine to cooler air and is hella fun to hear, go with the normal street MAF. No tune needed for that one.

Let me know if you end up getting your new CAI!

Sorry for reviving an old thread - I just got a 27WON race MAF about a month ago and paid Phearable to get an update to the stage 1.5 tune I already had to accommodate the race MAF difference. Works great but since their tune is locked I can't do anything else with it. Would you be willing to share the MAF curve numbers you got? I'd like to throw them into a basemap so I can tweak them myself along with some other parameters I'd like to have set up. Of course, I'd release you from any liability and take complete responsibility should I screw something up lol.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Sorry for reviving an old thread - I just got a 27WON race MAF about a month ago and paid Phearable to get an update to the stage 1.5 tune I already had to accommodate the race MAF difference. Works great but since their tune is locked I can't do anything else with it. Would you be willing to share the MAF curve numbers you got? I'd like to throw them into a basemap so I can tweak them myself along with some other parameters I'd like to have set up. Of course, I'd release you from any liability and take complete responsibility should I screw something up lol.
Why would you do that? if it runs great with good fuel trims leave it as is.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Why would you do that? if it runs great with good fuel trims leave it as is.
Part of it is just learning. Resources are rather limited as far as learning how to tune without paying a school to do it, which I may do someday, but am not in the position to do now.

Yes, everything is running just fine now and that's great. I'd like to set my idle parameters a certain way and some other stuff and the OTS tunes are pretty locked down. I'll start from scratch if I need to but if OP here has a starting point for the MAF values then it just helps me out a bit.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Part of it is just learning. Resources are rather limited as far as learning how to tune without paying a school to do it, which I may do someday, but am not in the position to do now.

Yes, everything is running just fine now and that's great. I'd like to set my idle parameters a certain way and some other stuff and the OTS tunes are pretty locked down. I'll start from scratch if I need to but if OP here has a starting point for the MAF values then it just helps me out a bit.
You can do some experiments with base tunes, start on low load parts which are less dangerous. You can also purchase some courses from HP academy. If you want some adjustments to the locked tune you may ask the tuner to do it for you, if is a simple thing he shouldn't ask for more money.

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You can do some experiments with base tunes, start on low load parts which are less dangerous. You can also purchase some courses from HP academy. If you want some adjustments to the locked tune you may ask the tuner to do it for you, if is a simple thing he shouldn't ask for more money.
HP academy is one of the first places I thought of, I'll look into it.

I already asked Phearable if they'd change some other values for me and they said no. They even have their new customization service but it's only if you add new parts and want them to check the tune.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
HP academy is one of the first places I thought of, I'll look into it.

I already asked Phearable if they'd change some other values for me and they said no. They even have their new customization service but it's only if you add new parts and want them to check the tune.
Something as simple as idle target and the don't do it? Sad.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Something as simple as idle target and the don't do it? Sad.
Hang tight there Kytos. He has a Phearable canned, locked tune. It's not unreasonable for John to say he doesn't customize his canned tune. I know people have asked TSP for small customizations on their OTS tunes and I don't believe they do it free of charge (generally). Even for something as basic as idle targets.

I run the Phearable 1.5R and unlike the low rpm, shaky idle I had with the TSP 1, it idles like super smooth when warm.

And John has a new $99 OTS revision service which is amazing. He'll take your canned @phearable tune and revise the file to more perfectly match your bolt on list.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They even have their new customization service but it's only if you add new parts and want them to check the tune.
That's not accurate. That sounds more like their datalog review service.

The revision tune makes changes to your existing OTS tune. He looks at your mod list and makes adjustments to fine tune it to your mods. We've had a number of people here do that and love the upgrade.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/really-interesting-development-from-phearable.81869/

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That's not accurate. That sounds more like their datalog service.

The revision tune makes changes to your existing OTS tune. He looks at your mod list and makes adjustments to fine tune it to your mods. We've had a number of people here do that and love the upgrade.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/really-interesting-development-from-phearable.81869/
Apologies, I was just being really high level, but yes, you're correct. I originally had the standard off the shelf stage 1.5, then reached out for the revision tune with my intake, race MAF, TIP and exhaust changes. I am really happy with the results, they just don't do any other kind of customization on top of that, ie: idle parameters.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies, I was just being really high level, but yes, you're correct. I originally had the standard off the shelf stage 1.5, then reached out for the revision tune with my intake, race MAF, TIP and exhaust changes. I am really happy with the results, they just don't do any other kind of customization on top of that, ie: idle parameters.
Right. But if you have the revision tune (I keep that stat on my tuning thread so I'll add your car) and it's improved, what about the idle has you concerned?

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Right. But if you have the revision tune and it's improved, what about the idle has you concerned?
I want to tune down the high idle on cold start. I've had some issues with the neighbors not liking my exhaust. Before I had the Phearable tune I was just running a basemap with some specific idle parameters that kept it quiet for the cold start.
Sponsored