Trouble Codes

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
I posted this on another forum but received no responses. I thought perhaps people here might have some thoughts.

I have a 2016 Civic EX with the sensing package. About three months after I bought the car, it was hit head on while I was standing at a light. The air bags didn?t deploy, but there was a lot of front-end damage, which a Honda repair shop said they fixed.

Fast forward to now. I noticed, as is typical with Civics, that one back rotor is starting to get slight groves in it. I've worked on other Civics I've owned, and I don't think much of the back brakes precisely because of this. To make it easer to work on the brakes, I bought a Foxwell 510 bidirectional scanner. It has a lot of ability to read OEM codes and allows service on the parking brake and the ABS system should I need to work on those components. I probably will only need it for the parking brake for this job.

I ran the OEM codes, and the thing lit up like a Christmas tree. No check engine light is on, but I get codes for things that may have been affected by the accident. For example, B0090-87 - no signal from left front impact sensor. U0416-68 VSA system malfunction. P2583-97 - Wave radar (could just be dirt the scanner said. It seems to be clean).

These are OEM codes and I'm not sure that they are supposed to turn a check engine light on. They haven't.

I'm not sure how I'm going to convince the Honda people to scan the codes without paying them. I'll try, but I just wondered if anyone here has any experience with problems indicated by these codes after an accident? By the way, I've never thought much of the Honda sensing system; so I have no real way of knowing if it is off because some of the sensors are not working. It has always seemed to work intermittently. I just thought it was a poor design. Now I'm wondering if it's just partially working.

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
Sponsored

wokeupgrumpy

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 4DR, 2017 Subaru Forester, 2007 Malibu LT, 1998 S10 Blazer LT
Country flag
Probably not the reply you were looking for but maybe this helps you feel not so "by your self". I owned two 91 Civics back in the day that I bought new and sold both because one was having issues and the dealer blamed everything but the car. Fast forward to now. I have a 2016 LX and when I took it in for an issue about a year ago the service writer told me if it wasn't showing a code light, they couldn't do anything with it. I know for a fact that not all codes set a light and some one turn the light on briefly, once. So, don't take "no" for an answer. Deales used to only get so much money for warranty repairs from the manufacturer or in your case, can legally only charge a set amount for a given repair. Since the more time they spend on a problem means less $$$ coming in, the overwhelming motivation is to get it out the door and move on.