Tricky Shifter - new 2018 Civic Manual

For you manual drivers of new cars: Have you experienced increased shifting "crunchiness"?

• Total voters

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
A week into driving my new Sport Hatch Manual, I'm feeling the shifter giving more resistance going in/out of all gears whether in drive or while sitting still. I describe it as "crunchy". Somewhat less smooth to push in gear and pull back to nuetral, even making a bit of a crunchy sound.

Seems to me that as the clutch breaks in the pedal might need adjusting in case it's no longer fully disengaging at the end of a full pedal press. I mentioned this to the Service Rep and had them take a look at it. Was just told "that's how they normally shift".

It was definitely smoother initially and I'm being blown off. It still shifts and drives, but I plan to drive this car for the next 10+ years & no good comes of putting extra pressure into a stock shifter repeatedly. I know I'm being picky, but I've rebuilt a few clutch systems and shifters and it's not right.

Please comment & vote on your experiences. Manual drivers only.

*PLEASE comment below if your car is different than the 1.5 L manual as the Sport Hatch. I'd like apples to apples data, but also good to know if this extends to other models as well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
mine drives the same way. and it's not consistent. crunchy, sometimes smooth as butter. I still haven't figured this transmission out with 25K on the clock. on thing I can tell for sure that switching MTF made it much smoother in all gears (including reverse). Although 1-2 is still crunchy. hope this helps

OP
OP
Starion

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
mine drives the same way. and it's not consistent. crunchy, sometimes smooth as butter. I still haven't figured this transmission out with 25K on the clock. on thing I can tell for sure that switching MTF made it much smoother in all gears (including reverse). Although 1-2 is still crunchy. hope this helps
It does. Thanks for your input.

I'm not even 1k into this thing and it's not right. I'm not powershifting or slamming gears at all! I typically put short shifters into my cars because I like the feel better, but I'm wanting to confirm this isn't a tranny, clutch, or clutch pedal issue before touching a thing on it. Factory warrantee should mean something, but not appearing to be the case so far.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
It does. Thanks for your input.

I'm not even 1k into this thing and it's not right. I'm not powershifting or slamming gears at all! I typically put short shifters into my cars because I like the feel better, but I'm wanting to confirm this isn't a tranny, clutch, or clutch pedal issue before touching a thing on it. Factory warrantee should mean something, but not appearing to be the case so far.
Obviously, I cannot guarantee that it is not, but most likely your transmission is just like any other - crunchy and confusing. Like i said, after 25k i am still not 100% sure how to drive it. And i’ve owned manual cars before. You’ll later discover sounda that it makes (while shifting gears) and clunks that clutch makes engaging. There are quite a few treads on here about it. PM me if you want more detiails on my experience with it

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 8th gen Si had it pretty much from the beginning for 3rd gear. Tons of them had it, and many didn't. Fortunately this time my 10th gen Si shifts incredibly well, it's the first car that feels and sounds like a sporty shifter should IMO. With the 8th there was never a permanent fix; from new tranny fluid all the way to a complete tranny rebuild they were all temporary at best and probably more a placebo effect than anything (I never went through any of that, just other's experiences described). Mine never got any worse even after 11 years and once I got used to it I had no additional issues with it (originally I couldn't tell if it was in gear all the way and sometimes it would pop out of gear on it's own as it wasn't fully engaged). The dealership told me on a few occasions the good old "unable to replicate" i.e. unwilling to acknowledge as there is no fix.

If you try to sell it privately anybody who knows anything about the past 15+ years of civics knows to check for grinding shifters and will either steer clear or lowball you hard. You can try trading it in but you'll never get as much from a dealer as from a private sale.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Had the same thing happen on mine. Changed the trans fluid with amsoil and it got smooth immediately and smoother as it broke in.

Robin

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
A week into driving my new Sport Hatch Manual, I'm feeling the shifter giving more resistance going in/out of all gears whether in drive or while sitting still. I describe it as "crunchy". Somewhat less smooth to push in gear and pull back to nuetral, even making a bit of a crunchy sound.

Seems to me that as the clutch breaks in the pedal might need adjusting in case it's no longer fully disengaging at the end of a full pedal press. I mentioned this to the Service Rep and had them take a look at it. Was just told "that's how they normally shift".

It was definitely smoother initially and I'm being blown off. It still shifts and drives, but I plan to drive this car for the next 10+ years & no good comes of putting extra pressure into a stock shifter repeatedly. I know I'm being picky, but I've rebuilt a few clutch systems and shifters and it's not right.

Please comment & vote on your experiences. Manual drivers only.
The shifts in my Sport are notchy and when cold the first to second crunches a bit, just like the Golf TDi manual I drove previously. It had that issue from new to almost 300,000 kilometres. My habit is to shift out of gear then wait a moment before engaging the next gear. The gearbox in the Sport seems to be getting smoother (at about 7,000 kilometres).

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
I sometimes have a little crunchiness going into 2nd and 4th but that was present when I got the car and still happens though not all the time.

OP
OP
Starion

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the replies all. I really appreciate some perspective on this.

Seems to be another design flaw, although not a hugely massive one, it still affects driveability and enjoyment in the very least. Here in FL, there's no issue with fluids being cold. Perfect temps currently. The cruchy shift is the same upon cold startup as it is after driving it warmed up.

Odds I'll get Honda to use Amsoil? Unlikely. (I can't do the fluid swap without voiding warranty, unless it's approved per FSM?)

Equally as unlikely Honda admits there IS an issue at all - and subsequently an issue they must fix under warrantee (but have no fix apparently).

Also equally as unlikely they even call me back to follow up on this & AC compressor noise. I've called almost daily since last week & no answer (left voicemails) & no return call.

Between this and the annoying AC whir/whining, I'm not happy.

Please keep the posts coming!

Last edited:

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
F

Seems to be another design flaw, although not a hugely massive one, it still affects driveability and enjoyment in the very least. Here in FL, there's no issue with fluids being cold. Perfect temps currently. The cruchy shift is the same upon cold startup as it is after driving it warmed up.

Odds I'll get Honda to use Amsoil? Unlikely. (I can't do the fluid swap without voiding warrantee, unless it's approved per FSM?)

Equally as unlikely Honda admits there IS an issue at all - and subsequently an issue they must fix under warrantee (but have no fix apparently).

Also equally as unlikely they even call me back to follow up on this & AC compressor noise. I've called almost daily since last week & no answer (left voicemails) & no return call.

Fluid change will not void your warranty. Change it at your convenience and feel the difference.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Keep in mind what's happening when you shift. The synchronizers must get the substantial counter gear assembly speed turning at a speed consistent with the next gear. That's much easier when upshifting since the counter gear assembly speed is naturally slowing down, but downshifting is much harder because the counter gear assembly speed must be increased. One way to help it is to briefly pause in neutral and take foot off clutch and race the engine so the counter gear assembly speed is a bit faster than what'll be needed for the lower gear, then quickly depress the clutch again and complete the downshift. In days of old, this was easy, when engine speed was directly linked to throttle, but may not be possible today with everything computer linked. A little crunch while the synchronizer does it's thing is probably no big deal. All this is a non-issue with me 'cause I wisely went with the CVT which is the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
You're onto something but it all fell apart when you said the CVT is the best thing since sliced bread. For my driving style, it was enough to make me trade it in in under 6 months for a manual SI.

I prefer a whole loaf of bread, not just a slice.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
You're onto something but it all fell apart when you said the CVT is the best thing since sliced bread. For my driving style, it was enough to make me trade it in in under 6 months for a manual SI.

I prefer a whole loaf of bread, not just a slice.
More important to me was the somewhat better cruise ratio compared to the available MT and driving ease of the CVT.
To each his own. Good luck

Last edited:

BirchyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
I had a new ‘17 EX CVT for a year and 8k miles then traded for a certified ‘17 EX-T manual 8 months ago with 900 miles on it; it has 3,300 on it now. I am in Denver and there are times where the shifting seems notchier than others. I’ll try and pay attention to the temperature when I notice it next time. Denver has lots of temperature swings from 30 to 60 ina day. I want to do a few upgrades to the shifter, mainly the Acuity bits, and may do the fluid as well.

fitz318is

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic hatch sport
Country flag

Odds I'll get Honda to use Amsoil? Unlikely. (I can't do the fluid swap without voiding warranty, unless it's approved per FSM?)

Our cars must have been built the same day.
Sponsored