First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 S2000, 2013 Daytona 675R, 2018 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome odyssey back to Gougeafornia, do you recall any of your MPG's? I drove to back to CA after my R was broken in (2,000 miles) and Interstate-40 blessed me with a best average tank of 34 MPG cruising at 75 MPH between Albuquerque, NM and Winslow, AZ (mostly descending into the Great Basin). I also may have allegedly bid farewell to the Texas Panhandle with a pre-dawn blast up to 88% of Honda's reported terminal velocity.
Nice! I think I was anywhere from 26-30mpg at the end of a tank, nothing too special (I cruise above 80)
Sponsored

OP
OP
wowwitsgau

wowwitsgau

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
dang welcome! i thought about getting the vehicle out of state.. but was lucky to pick one up with a 3.7k mark up.. which didnt warrant me to go out of state to get it.. would be too much of a problem because i cant just take work off on the fly like that if the right vehicle comes along.\

you should get on the fb group for socal fk8s

https://www.facebook.com/groups/510106939339332/
For sure, makes sense - I just started my sabbatical last week so it all worked out (4 months leave)

Just joined, thanks!

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
For sure, makes sense - I just started my sabbatical last week so it all worked out (4 months leave)

Just joined, thanks!
You must teach college. Having a 4-month sabbatical in my field means that you were unemployed for 4 months. :oops:

OP
OP
wowwitsgau

wowwitsgau

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You must teach college. Having a 4-month sabbatical in my field means that you were unemployed for 4 months. :oops:
Haha, I'm actually a software engineer @ SpaceX; we get to take 3 months of (unpaid) leave if we've worked at the company for at least 5 years. Supplementing that with a month of vacation cause I need some moolah in the meantime to tide me over

ChampwhiteFK8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
Haha, I'm actually a software engineer @ SpaceX; we get to take 3 months of (unpaid) leave if we've worked at the company for at least 5 years. Supplementing that with a month of vacation cause I need some moolah in the meantime to tide me over
Oh wow, excuse my ignorance but why would you want to take 3 months off if you're not going to get paid for them?

JJ's Type R

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX SE
Country flag
That's awesome. It has long been a fantasy of mine to buy a car on the other side of the country and drive it home. There was someone else on this site if I recall who did the same thing a few months ago and did a write-up about it.

OP
OP
wowwitsgau

wowwitsgau

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh wow, excuse my ignorance but why would you want to take 3 months off if you're not going to get paid for them?
I'm... sort of having a quarter-life crisis, if you will. Trying to recharge, recalibrate, and figure out my next moves

LiveLaughRide84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra Gsr(sold) and 2000 ITR(sold) 17 focus RS and looking for a CTR
Country flag
Hey everyone! I'd been looking for a more useful vehicle to add to my stable since last October, and finally settled on the Type R after failing to find an Evo X that fit my requirements. After months of searching for a stock MR Touring with low miles, I started seriously looking at the Type R. As a Honda fan (I previously owned a 2009 FG2 and currently own a 2009 S2000), I was initially disappointed in the Type R when it was first announced. This was due to a multitude of reasons, including: lack of a high-revving NA motor, not being truly 'JDM', and having a FWD drivetrain. Because of this, I hadn't even considered the car when I settled on getting an Evo, but after months of searching I grew tired and started looking for other options. Another car I debated getting was the MKVII GTI, which sacrificed the AWD from the Evo for usability (hatchback, a definite plus). This is when I started considering the Type R, because it seemed to be a good compromise between the two cars - if I was willing to live with a turbo i4 and FWD, then why not the Type R? Plus, it was a Honda, a platform I'm familiar with. The downsides of the car slowly started becoming less important to me as I continued my research, and I quickly became obsessed with the car.

Over the course of a few weeks, I decided that this was the car for me. I then started the time-and-soul-consuming process of contacting dealers around Southern California, to disappointing results - every single dealer was asking at least a $5k markup, which I was absolutely not down for. Thus, I began widening my search, working eastwards with the goal of finding a dealership willing to let their Championship White car go for MSRP. This took a few weeks (including a heartbreaking exchange where a dealer promised me one but rescinded their offer afterwards), but I finally found Bob Rohrman Honda in Indiana and immediately placed a deposit and booked my flight.

The people I worked with were Kyle Denny (sales) and Bailey (finance manager), and they made the whole process smooth and painless, even arranging for someone to pick me up from IND airport! I honestly hate dealerships, and try to purchase used/private party whenever I can, but working with them was really a positive experience. Both of them (along with everyone else at that dealership) were great guys and I would recommend them to anyone in the area looking for a new Honda!

Since I had planned on driving the car from Indiana back to California, I decided to make a road trip out of it and brought my snowboard along with me. The first few days (Indiana -> Illinois -> Missouri -> Kansas) were pretty dull, but once I reached Colorado the real fun began. The windy mountainous drive on I-70 was absolutely heavenly, and the drivers there were awesome compared to those in California (people move out of the left lane unless they're passing, a midwest trend that I hope catches on here). I stopped by Arapahoe Basin but the snow wasn't that great this year, so I decided to hit up some national parks in Utah instead of more ski resorts. Arches/Bryce Canyon were amazing and I highly recommend visiting them if you haven't already! And without further ado, here are some pics from the trip:

tS2745V.jpg

zj23IaU.jpg

1La35mG.jpg

z54Dviy.jpg

6GZ3nGE.jpg

e2gui7f.jpg

WiasPRp.jpg

nZHGxqp.jpg

Bonus: my track-only S2000 and soon-to-be-for-sale 675R
E0XU6l9.jpg

6BxrHRe.jpg

Oh, and PSA to everyone out there, the dealership forgot to remove the shipping blocks from the springs during the PDI... I've heard of this happening before so it's not a super rare occurrence but make sure that you have yours removed

5GAPQkb.jpg
Awesome

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Damn. I feel like I got lucky finding mine. I finally decided one day that I wanted one and made 15 min worth of phone calls. Bought one in PMM one block from my place of employment for a "fair" price. I got one with every single option available which added about 3k to the MSRP.

I'm curious about the conversation that took place when you said that one dealership decided not to honor their offer of MSRP.

OP
OP
wowwitsgau

wowwitsgau

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn. I feel like I got lucky finding mine. I finally decided one day that I wanted one and made 15 min worth of phone calls. Bought one in PMM one block from my place of employment for a "fair" price. I got one with every single option available which added about 3k to the MSRP.

I'm curious about the conversation that took place when you said that one dealership decided not to honor their offer of MSRP.
They basically told me they wanted to save the car for one of their loyal/repeat customers, a number of which had shown interest in the car. They also implied that they wanted to sell to someone local, presumably to make money off service in the future (who knows)